It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes.....much of today's music does suck. It's why I'm not looking for any opportunities to play it.

Durtdog likes this.
  2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

there is a simple solution..make your own....get on the original band circuit..the negativity goes way down cause there is a comradely amongst the bands..you can use your creatively vs copycat skills and then be responsible for how things sound,,,what kills me is people who cover but ***** about music out there and dont make their own or do anything about it..if no one made music you would have nothing to copy and piggyback off of..so the double standard is ya own knife

noah330 likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Dozens of top selling high profile artists have made careers from their personal interpretations of songs written by and also performed by others. There's no shame in that at all. A great song is a great song by anyone's standards.

The problem now is actually trying to find newer material worth covering which is why so many aging artists still have top selling recordings. Performing original material is not the only way and individual or a band can enjoy success.

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Pop music could sound good if they actually tried. It's a weird thing when someone can create a 'mash-up' of two completely unrelated songs, that easily sounds better than the original(s)

6. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

New music that doesn't suck.

7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

My GF says I am a music snob (and guitar snob) because I like prolly less than 1% of all music ever recorded. She is right. I also suffer from "misophonia" (hatred of sound) which prolly contributes for my lack of tolerance for over 99% of all music. I just think I have impeccable taste in music. Not so much in anything else.
    Yes; today's mainstream music sucks pretty bad.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A huge electrinics chain here is selling CDs and LP vinyls . Just bought Ry Coder "Prodigal Son " and was offered the choice. Wish I had my JVC turntable, amp, TEAC deck and Speakers I made from a Philips kit. Yes, Millenials here are into Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd- you name it- in vinyl!!
    A Bruce Sprinsteen original album ( I have Two) of Born to Run with Bruce leaning on the Big Man goes for minimum $80 here.

9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I absolutely agree with you ... the Pop music of the last 15 or 20 years is heinous; I think it's objectively and demonstratively inferior to previous periods. Since I don't need to write a doctoral thesis for Music Appreciation, I won't bother with numerous examples or lengthy footnotes. Anyone with any taste in the Arts is properly horrified by the current state of popular music, and everyone else is either hopeless or trolling.

teleman1 likes this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

h
    Mr Farter, Why do you hate yourself? It is OK, the youth? Just getting bent by all the deception, lies and manipulation of their lives . Corporate greed? Dude, there is no greed cause they own us and have what they want, total control of the populace. You might have to take the needle out of your arm for realization that today is radically different from back in your day. It is your denial if you don't cause change came and took over. And you hardly noticed.

11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Music today, just a repetition of the past .

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Good music, but just repeating something as well or better from the past. You think these guys like Zappa? It is hard to tell;)

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Snarky Puppy is a great band-- there are lots of other new, "big bands", out there. I was reading an article about it. People graduating from music school with composition degrees and a bent towards
    jazz are getting day jobs but then having these big band projects on the side. Set up a Pandora station with "Darcy James Argue's Secret Society" as your station and you'll discover a whole bunch
    of new, big bands. These pieces are more classical- with movements and lots of instruments. Another feature of these projects is that they are collectives with lots of members and composers.
    Any given show will feature a subset of the collective, depending on who's available.

It's an interesting approach. Traditionally, we get into a 3, 4, 5, or maybe 6 piece band and try to do 99% of the gigs with the same crew, using subs only when a member can't make it.
    But in these bands, it's a constantly rotating set of players, with very fluid set lists, too.

Darcy James' thing is more like a classical orchestra, while Snarky Puppy is more like a traditional big band....but there's a whole spectrum of acts now that have several things in common-
    ambitious, complex compositions requiring really good musicians; lots of players needed to pull it off; and rotating, fluid membership from gig to gig.

I don't see how anyone can claim this is a "repetition of the past". This is pretty new stuff, a whole new genre and approach.

I also think a lot of current hit acts are doing very cool stuff. Listen with open ears and an open mind! Here's a couple pop earworms for ya, get rotation on alternative radio. You can hear the influences
    ranging from 70s Motown to 80s MTV, but it sounds modern and new. Not a throwback, but something new and apropos for the current times. On the second tune, when I think about it, it reminds me
    of later Beatles a little bit....catchy, hooky, but spacy at the same time. Some may consider it throw-away pop music, but in my opinion creating pop songs like this requires serious, serious chops.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  14. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Grace, great success adding to this classic,

15. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I don't agree with that. Music today is just repetition of itself. There is a study (which I don't have time to find right now) that shows how the quantity of repetitive elements in popular songs has steadily increased over time. It's a lazy use of the senses similar to the way that fast food is a lazy choice for nourishment IMHO.

Georox likes this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Have you guys heard The Gretta Van Fleet? They're kind of like a less bloozy version of Joe "Bonna" Massa? Kind of like if LZ or The Cream was coming out now!

17. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

In an age of ever dumbed down music for the masses, The Mindful released a 13 minute "single" ;). F*** the mainstream, I gave up on radio when I was 11 and really got into music. The artists that try to innovate do it without mainstream support.

18. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

As far as I know, Zappa isn't part of the equation. It's a head-on collision between a bunch of jazz graduates and soul/gospel session men, with a large dose of world music. I don't think Frank was into Fela..;)

19. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

You shouldnt have to do a **** load of research to find good music. Good bands should be promoted.

TheMindful likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, my wife talks about how her daughter was always taking my wife's albums (without asking). She just liked it.

Here's one guy's explanation:

On the other hand, lots of folks seem to like it. A young woman I work with knows all the words to all the piped in drek we're tormented with at the big box store where we work.

So I'm with Duke Ellington: if it sounds good, it is good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.