It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. dptele

dptele TDPRI Member

I agree that today's popular radio music is pretty sad. That said, it truly is a golden age of access to music as I can literally talk to my watch and suddenly I will hear any song I want. Youtube and soundcloud contain a limitless amount of awesomeness (live shows, people just sharing what they're doing, lessons from masters in their craft) that you just have to dig to find. I can sit for hours digging through artists I have never heard of and always find a few songs I absolutely love each session to add to my playlist. For musicians it's also easier than ever to record and share your stuff too. The choice is amazing out there! But yeah most of the 'curated' radio stuff is blah, cookie cutter yuk.

bgmacaw and StrangerNY like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

3. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been fairly detatched from modern popular music for over 30 years. There are some very good bands to see and listen to. Today’s popular music in my opinion is overproduced garbage.

True story about 15 years ago I was shooting pool and a song was playing on the jukebox and a young lady was shocked I had never heard it before or had any idea who it was. It was Brittany Spears.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Don't get me going on people, almost always guys, that spit. When the H did that become good urban manners??

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The thing about today's music is, the good stuff is never played on the radio. You'd never know it by the way it's treated by radio, TV and other media, but there's been a lot of great progressive rock stuff going on during the last 25 years.

My exposure to new pop or rock music relatively these days, since Letterman retired. I do hear a few songs here and there, at work, which I think are abysmal. I hear the likes of Katy Perry (Wide Awake), Adele (Rumor Has It), and who knows how much "today's country" (they're still calling it that, aren't they? I call it "fake country), and I just think someone needs to fire the producers and songwriters responsible for this stuff.

But it is true that bad music has always been. One thing I've been hearing a lot lately is Faith Hill's bimbo-fied rendition of Another Piece Of My Heart. I was a bit stunned to find out when I looked it up on Wikipedia that it's over 20 years old.

ANd if you want to go back to the 80's, there was all that Stock Atkein Waterman dren. In the 70's, you had The Village People. In the 60's you had Nino Tempo and April Stevens demonstrating that it was possible to receive a "Best Rock N Roll Recording" Grammy for a song that was most definitely not rock n roll (demonstrating the NARAS were old hats at that sort of thing by the time of the Jethro Tull debacle).

And back in the 50's you had people like Pat Boone demonstrating how not to sing Fats Domino and Little Richard songs. And don't get me started on Mitch Miller!

But a lot of this stuff is subjective. Remember that Frank Sinatra thought rock n roll was "made by, and for, juvenile delinquents" (ironic, given the fact that he was the one with a criminal record). Some jive turkey who wrote for Downbeat dismissed John Coltrane's early 60's music as "anti-jazz". For that matter, virtually any jazz musician who did anything "new" or "different" post-1960 was dismissed in some quarters as "not jazz". Miles Davis was even criticized by his former piano player, Bill Evans, for "going electric". Then there's poor Bobby Zimmerman, who was also dissed by the folk music "cognoscenti", for daring to play an electric guitar.

Personally, I grew up in the 80's, so a lot of stuff that I routinely see get dismissed in some quarters, a lot of the so called MTV stuff, from synth pop to glam metal, I happen to like. Whenever you see people talk about "great music of the 80's", they're always talking about R&B, rap, or what might loosely be called "college radio stuff" or retroactively described as "alternative". There's a lot of great music there, to be sure, but every time I see a "best of the 80's lists heavy on REM, The Smiths, The Cure etc, I always ask, "Where's Zebra, Y&T, Night Ranger, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc?".

And you can argue that the music Genesis or The Who or The Rolling Stones made during the 80's was not as good as their classic earlier records, but it's what turned kids my age onto those bands. Without the Kenney Jones era, I might never have heard The Who (or at least, not until much, much much later). Likwise, Start Me Up and Hang Fire were the first Stones songs I remember hearing, the latter being the one that turned me into a fan.

Pete Townshend once said he'd "trade a million Bon Jovis for one REM". Fair point, REM did have some good stuff on their early records (back before they became cutesy MTV stars and Michael Stipe started whining about how awful being famous was). But I also like the first couple Bon Jovi records (it was over by the time of Slippery When Wet, though). Personally, I'm happy we live in a world that has both Radio Free Europe and In And Out Of Love in it.

As far as not like "today's music" meaning you're "old", well, I guess I've been an old man since the age of 20, because I remember hating the whole "grunge" thing, as well as all the alternative stuff that followed on it's heels. There wasn't one new band on MTV that I dug during the 90's. There was exactly one sort of "mainstream" rock group I've liked since about 1992, and that was The Darkness (none of this "My life sucks" business, just a honest, no frills, fun rock n roll band that sounded like they had spent their lives up to that point ODing on Thin Lizzy, Queen, and Slade).

I spent most of the 90's discovering all the prog rock stuff I had missed out on from the 70's (everything from Camel to Nektar to Magma to PFM to...well, if you know the genre you know where that's going), jazz (Sun Ra and John Coltrane, especially), contemporary classical (Ligeti, Penderecki, etc). There were a handful of new rock stuff I liked during that era, like the first two Mercury Rev albums, and the first couple records Hawkwind did in the 90's (before they started making techno records). But by and large, I felt "Today's mainstream music stinks" for most of the last 25 years. Like I said, maybe I'm hearing the wrong songs, but I'm just impressed with rock and pop music today.

7. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The problem is, I have no idea where to look. Circa 2000-2009, I went to a lot of progressive rock festivals, so I got turned onto a lot of new stuff by seeing new bands live. But I haven't been to a fest in 4 and a half years (largely to financial constraints), and I have no idea how I'm supposed to hear new metal or rock n roll or whatever that I would like. There was a certain point where I stopped being impressed with bands that people like David Letterman were having on.

I remain convinced that there has to be some hip hop music out there, somewhere that I would like, but I have no idea how to go about finding it. I just don't have time to wade through all of it.

Beyond what my friends mention online, or stuff I see touted on websites like Wayside Music, I just don't where I'm supposed to go to find good new music.

blowtorch likes this.
  8. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

You mean Freur? Yeah, supposedly the name came from the sound one of the band member's Portastudio made when he turned it on. I heard a DJ in the 90's play that track, and I called up and asked how the band's name was pronounced, and he said "Freh-UR" or something like that.

But I remember seeing the video for that song on MTV like maybe once or twice. I might have thought that I had hallucinated it, or drempt it, except that I then found the LP and 12" single at the local record store, both of which I snapped up. Lots of great synth pop there. And for several years, I thought I was the only person apart from the band, a handful of people at MTV and their record label who even knew this band existed.

Then, a group called Underworld appeared, which was essentially a late 80's configuration of Freur. When the first Underworld record came out, I read an article that said that Doot-Doot was actually a top 10 hit in Europe, so apparently it was big over there for awhile. And I guess I wasn't the only person who remembered it because it keeps bobbing to the surface every so often.

9. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

re: That TV commercial with Sympathy For The Devil in it,

Yeah, I saw that and I thought, "Wait a minute, that's not just Sympathy For The Devil, that's Lemmy singing it!"
    I looked it up on Wikipedia, I believe the Motorhead version was on their very last album. It seems likely Lemmy himself had nothing to do with licensing it.

But isn't that a trip, someone's saying, "We need to use Sympathy For The Devil in our advert, but we don't want to use the Rolling Stones version, which cover should we use?!" and they choose Motorhead. I'd love to love to know how they arrived at that decision.

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know a guy who brags about quitting smoking, then he took up "chew." I'm pretty sure that must be the worst habit you can have, I wish he'd take up smoking again, it would be a lot cleaner. Dragging that bottle around to spit in, and having that awful, foul odor about you, that the one wearing it seems impervious to.

kookaburra likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Youtube. Start with one recommended band, and follow your recommendations, They won't all be home runs, but you'll discover all kinds of stuff you had no idea existed.

The old mediums are relatively dead

bgmacaw likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

(Curmudgeon voice) But that YourTuba don't work on my flip phone and that site crashes my Windows 95 PC.

13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Before the internet, this might have been a valid argument. Nowadays new music is everywhere but it's not going to come to you, you have to invest some time in finding it.

If an old git like me can discover new sounds, I'm sure you can.

bgmacaw and blowtorch like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

ScubaGeek check out the Live at KEXP shows on YouTube. Hand picked bands from a wide variety of genres. If you hear someone you like then create a Pandora station based on them and you will discover more acts in that genre. I’m sure there are other good “curated” sources. KEXP led me to New Mastersounds, and others like Lettuce.

15. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

today's music indeed sucks, unless you actively go out of your way to find good music you will never hear it, corporate radio and mass media outlet giants all push the exact same garbage to the mindless masses of trash people that gobble up whatever comes out of their sewers

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Holic

In my opinion, the reason songs from the 40s 50s and 60s aren't popular that much is not because of stupid dated songs, it's because the talent hasn't come forward to claim the prize of being able to sing that classic stuff. Elvis, Aretha, and going way back to Ella, Betty Carter, Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra,, these people all had steller voices and songs that showcase their abilities, mostly around love songs, the art of the love song.

I'm 65 and I've been waiting for this voice to enter my world for my whole adult life. And there have been great singers that do sing the "oldies". Natalie Cole, Diana Krall. For some reason I don't want to include Whitney Houston or Mariah Carry, or Christina Aguilera. Those are not the voice to sing Fly Me To The Moon or Can't Stop Falling In Love With You, Maybe Whitney?

But since I discovered the young prodogy Angelina Jordon, these old songs just bounce back into life. I don't know how big of an impact this young girl will make on her generation, she's only 12, but she has all the potential to make these older styles popular once again.

tell me what you think of this small sample

Here she is at 7 winning Norway's Got Talent singing a very difficult song by Billie Holiday,

And here is her singing something more contemporary by Adele, her passion is over the top.

And lastly, here she is singing some dirty blues, at 10 years old, 10!!!

Your thoughts???

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

OK, she needs voice lessons. All the interesting things about her style are damaging her vocal cords ... she'll need an operation before she gets a driver's license. Hopefully, of all the musicians she's hiring to make these videos, a few of them will care enough about her personally to implore her to see a good ENT doc and get a qualified voice teacher.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Holic

Nah,, imo she's doing fine. The last thing she needs is someone that can't sing like her telling her how to sing.

This concern about the voice, same argument people had with Christina Aguilera, Janis Joplin, Grace Vanderwaal and Jackie Evancho.

So, do I take it that you don't care for her???

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

even the concerts people sit now..i can sit at home..i wanna rock..........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.