It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

My Point was a misguided attempt at humor.

2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Both of my kids (30s) are firmly rooted in music from the 60s to the 80s. My daughter just told me that my granddaughter (3yrs old) was singing along to "Who Are You" :cool: I told her that I have succeeded. :twisted: My son had my grandson (4yrs old) singing to Zappa. :rolleyes:

Greggorios and StrangerNY like this.
  3. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I'd hate to be told I could only listen to music from a certain era. I'd hate to be told,since I'm old,then anything vaguely new is off limits.

There has always been music I've enjoyed and there has always been music I don't much enjoy,but there has always been music and I'm happy with that.

Enjoy whatever you like and let others be different. No one is wrong on this one.

4. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Music has always sucked. You've just forgotten the worst of it. But that's just what happens to your brain when it gets old.

StrangerNY and notmyusualuserid like this.
  5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

I won't hear a bad word against Mary Hopkin since I found out it was she who sang the 'doo di doo do do' bit on Sound and Vision.

(Still mired in my Berlin / Bowie obsession )

6. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I was born 1963 and graduated HS in 1981 and university in 1986. After hearing that my son (17 years old) and his friends dig Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep and Pink Floyd I put together a personal HS/university/mid-20’s collection of my favs from late 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s for them on spotify. They love it.

In case anyone else would care to listen (it’s a fun playlist to hit Shuffle and just kick back):

https://open.spotify.com/user/rich815/playlist/2Icm9luHzvdgtgEzMLL3GI?si=DQTwQ_QISW6T8KyVERiANA

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

And were also old.

Cheers,
    Geoff

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It might be just a regional thing, bit I remember 'Twine Time' as a tune that got a fair amount of airplay (grew up in Philly).

Radio was different then. Nowadays, there's pretty much no such thing as a 'regional hit', but back then it was really common to have bands that were big in NYC or Chicago that were unheard of in LA.

There were actually instances of a song being a hit in multiple markets, recorded by different bands. It was a different universe back then.

- D

Hexabuzz likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

'Wichita Lineman' forgives a lot of sins. That song is pretty near perfect.

- D

10. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You may be correct, but I think that most of Neil Sedaka’s hits happened before a large chunk of baby boomers were buying records. Wichita Lineman, By the Time I Get to Phoenix and Galveston were enormous crossover hits on a scale that didn’t exist before the mid-60s and were popular with people of all ages.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

First off, I remember "Twine Time" very well. All of the local bands played it here in Carolina and Virginia where I lived at the time.
    But where today's music comes up short, as far as this guitarist is concerned, is the lack of well thought out guitar solos. I'm talking clean, melodic, musical interludes, that make you want to sit down and learn them. All of these guys playing 1000 notes a minute, using 6 distortion pedals, do absolutely nothing for me.

Rowdyman likes this.
  12. jnovac1

jnovac1 TDPRI Member

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Really, we want to do this tit for tat thing? Here's ten hours of Rebecca Black for ya!:lol:

14. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I get quite a few young people telling me they like the old stuff I play most of the time. I get the feeling that's not all they are listening too, though. And that's good, as far as i'm concerned. There's still great music being made.

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Ugh, so tired of geezers complaining that any music other than the music they grew up listening to is no good. So f'ing tired of it.

There was great pop music in 1920, and there was bad pop music. Same in 1940. Same in 1960. Same in 1980. same in 2000. Same today. I always post this, but I spend a fair amount of time driving my 14 year old daughter and her friends around in a car pool, and some of the songs they listen to are really great, and deeply moving to them: they do all the things music dd for you back in the day. You just can't hear it, because you have a thick coating of nostalgia around your ears, like fat around your middle. It's so frickin' tedious. Today's music doesn't suck: you suck.

It's really interesting to listen to Postmodern Jukebox a collective out of NYC that redoes modern pop tunes in period styles.

You--the generic "you," endlessly whining about how today's music is no good--just can't hear outside of your own experience. If it's not wearing the specific musical clothes you're familiar with, it's no good. That's a textbook example of narrow mindedness. It's boring, its tiresome, its small and stingy and mean.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hate today's music, but I heard this on Sirius XM 50's channel the other day. This is some of the crap we had to listen to before the Beatles saved us. This is just horrific.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I was surprised when I saw TV commercials using Devo's ultra-satirical songs in their commercials. I thought, "You do understand what that song is about, don't you?"

But Iv'e seen a lot of weird stuff in commercials. There was an ad using ELO's Ticket To The Moon a few years ago, and another that used Welsh synth pop group Freur's Doot Doot a few years before that. Damn, I thought I was the only person on the planet who remembered Freur.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure I heard KISS's Detroit Rock City used in a car ad.

19. StrangerNY

And to make it double-devilicious - listen closely to who's performing the song. It's Motorhead!

Satan selling cars, with a song by an iconic band, performed by another iconic band. It's like the trifecta of sellouts.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. StrangerNY

Remember them? I couldn't even pronounce them! :lol:

I did like that tune, though. Oddly peaceful.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.