It's not that we're old; today's music really does suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

The human body has dynamics. Life has dynamics. When you strip away dynamics you strip away feeling and emotion, life.
    Great article on why music was better back when https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/...zgzG8hOqhpuwpQCi7p_mXbn-fyvEZHW_LCZcy-Iq6FbcY

I think I remember reading George had a big problem with the stripping of dynamics in the mastering process of one of the records and had them put it back to how it was recorded.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

You should not have to dive or search. This stuff should be as accessible and being given a chance in our face;not buried in the internet. Otherwise, or as is the case now, you get ONLY the top 40 music the music establishment feeds you. And that creates and even less interest in any music other than their agenda music.

3. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

You're correct. But life is that way. Most things are not as they should be: billionaires control the world and its ever depleting resources, and the best art makes people think too much and doesn't generate as much revenue, so it doesn't get prioritized by businessman that control the industry. Dive into the underground, that's where it is, that's where you'll find it. No one is gonna do it for you.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

For me, about 25% of these hits were unlistenable and what I called bubblegum music. Today, the bubblegum style of music is what dominates, IMHO.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Because you have to dive, your music, odds are will never get a chance. Diving isn't a model that will bring success to these artists. They need devotion and promotion to rise above the effluent. But, we sure to like to bathe in the effluent

6. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I disagree. Maybe if you are speaking on the same levels of widespread fame of acts on the radio sure. But grassroots, DIY careers can still be successful and maintain relatively large fanbases of tens of thousands. It depends on your definition of "making it" in the music biz is. If it's limos, paparazzi and tabloids, that is only reserved for about .1% of the entire music industry.

A metal band like Mastodon gigged unknown for 7 years or something before they got any success, and that was back in the early/mid-2000s. Now they are Warner Brothers signed artists and play all over the world. They built it from the ground up.

chris m. likes this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Mindful. It is now easier to “make it” in terms of making a middle class living as a musician than ever. Still hard as hell, but now you don’t have to get past a label gatekeeper to even have a shot.

srolfeca and TheMindful like this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Right. Hey, if only 25% of the popular music sucks, that’s an amazing hit rate. What do you suppose it is today?

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not sure the internet buried anything. Actually, the internet made Top 40 irrelevant. There is so much choice today because of it, there is no radio establishment feeding anyone. Search in 1992 meant something different than today. A search for 'good music' today is a blog or YouTube channel away, after running Google of course.

I can't understand why anyone would complain about such a luxury.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

88+%

Marc Morfei likes this.
  11. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It's amazing anyone makes any money out of it...:rolleyes:

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Maybe, because the music was so much better and prevalent in the 60's and 70's before corporations and the internet stifled it. There is good music and there is no where to rise to the top. If your ideas were to work, the good stuff would rise and surpass what the corporations feed us their corporate pics. Think of this, the internet gave us Justin Beiber;ya know what, your right, I am am satisfied cause Justin is the music I really like.

13. chris m.

The Internet also gave us Vulfpeck and Snarky Puppy -- check them out.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Everyone involved in the industry except the true artists that Marc Morfei is able to find on the internet. Few are making money, and the corporate rock, like Maroon 5 have it rolling in like a freight train. And not saying Maroon is bad, its more like, is that all you got? Is that the best? Is there anything else? Yes there is; their new album. vs a minuscule spot on the interest of an artist that Marc an a few others dig.

15. chris m.

The royalties from Internet streaming are a joke unless you are a megastar like Taylor Swift. So now the Internet is mainly a tool to promote the band so
    you can do bigger and bigger live gigs. The real revenue comes from playing live. Also from selling shwag. Super bonus if you can get your track onto
    a TV commercial or sitcom soundtrack- that pays real royalties.

Here's Jack Stratton of Vulfpeck talking about the state of Spotify royalties on CNBC:

16. chris m.

I just did the math. They have no label or anyone else to pay off. Any royalties from Spotify are 100% theirs after
    expenses. 5 million downloads of the silent song "Sleepify" netted them $20,000. This comes out to 0.4 cents per
    stream.

Hence my point that in order to make real money you use the Internet primarily for marketing and then you earn
    your $$ the old fashioned way-- playing live.

17. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I've become so disconnected with commercial music for several reasons. Some are just life reasons, job, kids, aging parents etc etc... but in regards to the actual music, lyrics, sound etc. I don't hear a lot of individuality or trademark identifiers. Pretty much gone are the days when you could identify the band just by the tone and style of the guitarist. There are still a couple artists you can identify by the first 3 notes but the music itself today is so non expressive. Even a lot of today's vocalist are non identifiable.

For me I'm not motivated enough to go "digging". And what am I digging for? I think my need for music in years gone by was more for educational purposes, learning how to play and less for just pleasure.

18. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

That's unfortunate to hear. I still crave and actively seek that feeling of uncovering a treasure trove of an artist previously unknown to me, and immersing myself in their catalog. Each time I find something that speaks to me it's like a gift from heaven and I hope I never quit digging.

Les H likes this.
  19. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

It's not that bad really!

I kind of like being able to approach my music completely free of outside influences. When I was constantly listening to other music "my" style would get off track and it would make me second guess myself.

20. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

There are no more Gold and Platinum records. No sales. No more cool plaques to put on your wall if you get so lucky. Record companies don't do them anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.