Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

It's not a C/B; it's a G/B

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by McGlamRock, Jul 14, 2017.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

On 99% of chord charts when there is a I- V6- vi walk down, I see the V6 written as a I chord with the 7th in the bass. It annoys me (1st world problems; I know!).

Right now I'm looking at a chart someone sent me for the CCR tune "Have you ever seen the Rain". The chorus is written as C - C/B - Am. I'm at work right now, but that second chord is definitely supposed to be a G/B; a V chord with 3rd in the bass.

/rant

waparker4 likes this.

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

And other music for gourmandizers.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Almost every chord chart on Google is wrong

klasaine and AngelDeville like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    C/B and G/F# are pet peeves of mine too. Sometimes that's what is really played though.

6. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I like the sound of C/B better than G/B in this song. If you go to G/B, the sound changes, but if you keep that High C in all the chords: C C/B Am C/G F... it sounds more Creedency. At least to me.

Edit: I just gave it a listen. I don't think there's any doubt that it's C/B. You can hear the C note on the second string in every chord of the chorus until the G.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    codamedia likes this.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Classic example: Db/C in bar 6 of the standard Green Dolphin Street. Note that the first 8 measures have a pedal on C.

[​IMG]

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Just running it through my head it sounds like C/B....after giving it a listen on YT it definitely sounds to me that way.....I suppose you could call it Gsus4/B....if you replace the 'E' with a 'D'....??

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    MilwMark likes this.

9. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Maybe you could tolerate it better if you just thought of it as a static C chord with a moving bass below. That approach is a staple of western swing accompaniment. You do get the B in the bass and a C in a higher octave, which lends some perhaps undesired tension. The Godfather of the style, Eldon Shamblin, softened the sound by moving all the Cs down to B, which gives you Em/B. In Faded Love, he went a little further and played what would be Em7/B. Here it is in D, second chord:

Code:
         D   F#m7   D7     F#7+   G   G+       Em7 Fdim
    ---------------------------------------------------
    -----3---2-------3------3-----3---4---------8--9---
    -----2---2-------2------3-----4---4---------7--7---
    -----4---2-------4------2-----5---5---------9--9---
    -----5---4-------3------x-----5---6---------7--8---
    ------------------------2--------------------------
    As I look at the letters that you wrote to me,

D  F#m7  Bm   D6       Em7 Em7 A9 A7
    --------------------------------3------5---------
    -----3---2----3----3--------8---5---5--5---------
    -----2---2----4----4--------7---4---4--5---------
    -----4---2----4----4--------9---x---5--5---------
    -----5---4----2----x--------7---5---4--7---------
    -------------------5-------------------5---------
    It's you that I am thinking of.

Gene O., ndcaster, MilwMark and 2 others like this.

10. McGlamRock

Well I guess as long as we're playing the same thing it doesn't matter what we call it.

Anyone that's calling this a C/B chord, I'm curious what notes you here low to high.

I hear B D G C. Anyone hear anything differently?

11. McGlamRock

the Db/C in bar 6 of GDS is functioning the same as the C/B in the CCR tune?
    I must be missing something.

12. BigDaddyLH

You're right, it's not. It's playing a dominant role. Just another example of that voicing, that's all.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    OK. I'm not a theory guy at all. So this is all going WAY over my head. But (sitting at work and not at a guitar) I think you are not quite correct on this one, @McGlamRock rock.

I don't play that song in particular but this is a VERY common move in pop chord strumming. Play a C. Move the bass note down a fret on the next strum, maintaining the rest of the chord shape the same, then resolve to Am on the next strum? Is that what happens in this CCR song? Think of them in terms of busy entertainers, running around on stage, singing and stylin'. They play stuff that sounds good and is easy to execute.

Not sure if I'm butchering your point, Mr. @Leon Grizzard, but if so, I do apologize.

Side note (to me anyway). I play in a band with a guy who plays accordion but was trained (and trained well) on guitar. He's always throwing these crazy, full chords in there on guitar. But when you play 'em on guitar, you gotta simplify sometimes, in a way that "breaks" theory a bit, but still sounds good, because it's easy to play. Happens a lot with moving the baseline around with "passing" chords (or passing fake chords as it were).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 4:02 PM

14. BigDaddyLH

That's not breaking theory. Consider a keyboard guy who plays piano and organ. Take a 10 note chord that sounds cool on piano and it will sound like arse on organ.

Chords that theory can't explain! Music teachers hate him!

Er, not at all. All those fat overtones on organ beg for simpler voicings.

15. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    And of course, I had a brain fart - I meant to type "trained (and trained well) on PIANO".

16. McGlamRock

I think this discussion may be turning into one of those "That's no sweet potato, it's a yam!" sort of discussions
    So, presuming you are playing the following notes low to high: B D G C ... We're playing and discussing the same chord- which is the important part when the music is happening!

17. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Ha - those would be the notes.

18. jbmando

Except that the CCR chord is B E G C, therefore, C/B. To my ears G/B is undesirable there in this song. In the vast scheme of things it makes no difference, but IMO, your rant is misguided in this case.

Harry Styron likes this.

19. McGlamRock

What note is Fogerty singing over the chord in question?

20. BigDaddyLH

G (heh).

I just googled for guitar chords to it and the first link had: C C/B Am Am/G.

21. jbmando

It's the high B (along with the D) that is out of place. You can hear that the rhythm guitar doesn't really change chords there.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    Wally likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.