Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Items you don't penny pinch on?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Socks - I decided after my lean years that I would never own another pair of socks with holes in them. Now it's Gold-toe Fluffies, black, no holes.

televillian and Nickadermis like this.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Food. My wife and I try not to get food that doesn't have a bunch of chemicals listed in the ingredients. When we shop we mostly go around the outside aisles of the store, avoiding all the processed crap in the middle. Kids are grown and out of the house, so it's not that expensive.

Shoes. I've found that if you pay for a good pair of boots or sandals, they'll last me around 5 years. As opposed to getting crappy ones for $25 that last one year.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Chainsaws, boots, shoes, underwear, coffee, bourbon, mattresses, flyrods and guns.

Whaaaaat? No one using phone books for their T.P. Anymore? Gotta penny pinch somewhere.

5. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't penny pinch on anything, but I like to think that I shop wisely. My wife, my sister and my mom would never consider purchasing a "generic" or "store brand" product. I know that in many cases these products are equal to the well-known brand name item, so I will save money and buy the generic one. My sister would tend to buy the "premium" brand of just about anything. I guess she figured that she "deserved" the best. A lot of those high priced items turned out to be less reliable or lower quality than the comparable cheaper product.

My next door neighbor has purchased two new cars which are essentially the same as mine over the past five years. He just goes in to the dealer and makes a half-hearted effort to negotiate a better price. I have beat his purchase price by thousands of dollars by doing a little research and buying elsewhere. In both cases I had to wait a few days to have the car shipped to me. He thinks I am "penny pinching," and the slight bit of extra effort that I put into the deal wouldn't be worth it to him.

6. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Tools - when I was working with them a lot. Currently trying to retire from that:)

Cars - what can I say, I like German engineering.

Furniture - we aren't extravagant, but cheap doesn't fit my wife's taste.

There are a lot of things where you can pinch a penny and have to buy the same thing over and over. Buy quality once and it'll last a lifetime.

CharlieO likes this.

7. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    Years ago I purchased my first boat. I was so excited and couldnt wait to get her in the water. I sent my wife to Wal-Mart to buy a couple of life vests, while I was cleaning my new friend up. When she arrived back, she was complaining about how expensive life vests were. She handed me a an item designed to save my life saying, "Here, I bought the cheapest ones".

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.

8. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Sheffield
    I don't scrimp where other people are concerned. I often have lots of people over for dinner, so high quality food and drinks (alcoholic or non) are in my mind essential. I also don't scrimp on records - I could get an album maybe 50% cheaper from Amazon, but I'd rather pay more and have more go to the actual musicians.

As for anything else, if I can get a good deal and get something cheap, you know I will

9. CharlieO

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I learned the wisdom of buying high quality furniture from my parents. I recently liquidated my father's estate and sold several beautiful pieces of furniture that they had owned for 60-plus years. Sadly, these high quality items are not worth a lot of money in today's market, but they did indeed "last a lifetime."

grooveiron and Jakedog like this.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I now play a Walmart guitar....seriously. (in avatar)

But I absolutely wont put cheap cables in my signal path...

Amplifiers.....

awasson likes this.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    A/C - I can remember sleeping in a bath tub during a heatwave as a kid. The porcelain was cool.

Not a big call for them but Loin Cloths - Old Bob Newhardt story - Sitting Bull to Indians just before Little Big Horn "Take care of your loin cloth and your loin cloth will take care of you". Seems like something you wouldn't go cheap on.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Re: the growing up poor thread, I'm amazed that people used to darn holes in socks. Does anyone do that anymore?

telemnemonics likes this.

13. CharlieO

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    How does more money go to the musicians, unless you are purchasing the album directly from them?

Piggy Stu and telemnemonics like this.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Sometimes the pennies pinch themselves for you. Maybe three or four years ago, my sister in law and my wife went yard saleing, and found a Kirby G-6 Vacuum for sale at a yard sale for $25 bucks. The sister in law is the one who saw it first so she bought it. An odd twist on a woman selling a guys shotgun for 15 bucks, this time the guy was mad at his wife who had moved off and left him, so he sold HER vacuum cleaner. When they got to our house my SIL says, you know I don't really want this thing it's too heavy, what would you give for it? I didn't bat an eye I said I'll give you a hundred dollar bill for it. She was thrilled to turn such a profit and said you can have it.

I already had a Kirby, but it was considerably older than the one we have now. The "new" one was, and is in pristine condition, and works wonderfully on the carpet. I'm sure I could have got it for 50 bucks maybe even the 25, but I thought my sil ought to turn a profit since she was quick enough in recognizing a good deal when she saw one. Now that she's gone on, I'm even more glad I gave her the hundred dollars.

15. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    Pretty much anything related to playing the guitar: Guitars, effects pedals, amps, cables, strings, picks, etc.

Work boots, socks, and underwear. I work in a fairly hot environment on cement with no air conditioning. I have to wear a vest and about 25 lbs of gear so moisture wicking underwear and socks are a must. Thorlos make the best socks around by the way.

16. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Kids education:cry::cry:

shinigami747 likes this.

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Hmmmm...nickel nursers eh?

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The cheap gun you buy, might be your last! :eek:

Obsessed likes this.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Cheap toilet paper is a great way to get in touch with your inner self.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I didn't even know they sold used toilet paper. Gross.

Toto'sDad and Obsessed like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.