Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Items you don't penny pinch on?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Aug 12, 2017.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Huh? Who buys used toilet paper???

2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Garbage bags, Q-Tips, pickles, toilet paper, condiments, shoes

WetBandit likes this.

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Tape (both recording & sticky) Perhaps it's because I grew up with Scotch products (my grandfather worked for 3M so we got a big box of stuff every year at x-mas) I always manage to turn any other brand in to a gooey mess, off/store brands are not even worth considering.
    Oddly I never liked their recording tape, there was always a three pack strip of their blue "Higlander" budget normal bias cassettes in those holiday boxes, sounded ok in a mono portable, but my $49 Sharp single well deck didn't like it at all, very muddy. Their better stuff was rare & $$ so I usually bought which ever of the Japanese brands was on sale, always did well with Fuji. The no name, and budget Radio Shack stuff never worked for me either.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Guitars.
    Tools.
    Printer paper. I don't print much, but it's gotta be on the 100% cotton, 24 lb stuff.
    Shirts. Only wear one kind. I wait for sales, but a cheaper brand is not an option.

I price shop like crazy, just not always for the low end stuff.

telemnemonics likes this.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    I once waited until school was dismissed for Christmas break and picked out a Christmas tree from those which had been in classrooms but were discarded behind the school buildings. They already had icicles. But I will pay for good cheese.

tintag27 and william tele like this.

7. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Yep. Beer and coffee for me.

Maybe you can get the missus to put a bug in dad's ear that the beer drinkers are now more discriminating than oenophiles.

mnutz likes this.

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

When I got married I told my wife the 3 things I don't pinch pennies on are toilet paper, trash bags, and beer. She agreed.

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Oreos!!! Hydrox are the devil's work!

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I seek value - bang for the buck. Having said that, I'm thrifty. My $200 Partscaster works well enough for me, so I don't need anything pricier. My $50 clearance rack Red Wing shoes are more comfortable than the $200 boots I own from them. My toolbox is filled with Craftsman, not SK or Snap On. I'll buy one bottle of expensive liquor, then several cheaper bottles and see which cheap one tastes 95% the same as the top shelf.

But, one compromise I will not make is cough medicine. Tylenol Cold is badass...Dayquil makes me feel like heaven. Walgreens brand "Tylenol Cold" gives me massive nose bleeds, and their brand of Dayquil does absolutely nothin' for me. Bonus points for Tylenol Cold from Canada, with codeine built in :D

11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Oh for god's sake, beer!
    Don't skimp on beer!
    Cheap beer is an abomination, a sin against beauty.
    Beer!

Crashbelt and mnutz like this.

12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Guitars and coffee.

And my stereo which is pretty old now, Klipsch speakers.

mnutz likes this.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Reading through the whole thread i can't think of a single thing I scrimp on, but maybe buying used is scrimping.

I guess when I need some more sockets I'll buy the store brand at Pep Boys, but those are pretty good and all my ratchets are used Snap On and maybe a Matco here and there.
    Cheap screwdrivers? Why? Klein for maybe $7.
    I had a perfectly good Craftsman socket set 40 years ago, but as they got lost i replaced them with nicer used tools, and eventually ended up with lots of Snap On tools. I just like nice stuff and am not hooked on buying new.

I've just so seldom found scrimpy products that live up to the duty, they always break sooner, wear out faster, work poorly, cheap pain killers wear off faster, cheap meat is gross, etc etc.

I am basically cheap and might go without while waiting for a good deal, but I so seldom buy bargain brand anything, I just can't recall what it might be.

Current finances as they are, maybe I should revisit this one.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Matt G and Boomhauer like this.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I don't scrimp on my women.

15. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Shoes & boots, toilet paper, condoms, sushi (used to work in an office where everyone went to a sushi place on Wednesday for half price sushi, they didn't understand that the place was selling off the fish that wouldn't last until the weekend's busier time),food, tires, gasoline, guitar strings, amps, straplocks, straps, bedsheets, deodorant, shampoo, soap, and the mattress.

Periods in my life I didn't have the option of not pinching, and can tell you that sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress, with uncomfortable sheets, wearing worn out shoes eating Ramen noodles every day ground me down. Made me eventually want to get my S together and graduate college.

Got a liberal arts degree (take classes you enjoy, get good grades and the college degree will open doors for you) expecting to make $40K a year. First job I got I made a hundred bucks a year more than my loan balance.

16. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Tires

waymore, Steve 78 and Kebmel like this.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2016
    I don't buy cheap speakers.

I don't buy cigars.

I don't buy cheap bourbon.

I don't buy cheap paint either.

18. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    Beer, Bread, Tea, shoes

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Boy is THAT open for interpretation...

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Suits
    Shoes
    Toilet paper
    Seafood
    Vintage Watches
    Car Parts, engine, brakes, steering etc,,
    Kids and grandkids, (I need to take a look at my priorities )

All of the above are not in any particular order.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.