Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Itching while trying to sleep?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Aug 2, 2012.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    U.S.A
    Who else has experienced this, and what do you think causes it?

Some potential suspects:

Bedbugs
    Diphenhydramine
    Sugar
    Caffeine
    Stress
    Heat
    Sweat
    Bacteria
    Red Dye 40

Add to this list, and share any cure you've found. I think for me it's too much sugar.

2. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    It happens to me. I lay there, trying to sleep, and I get little itches. My shoulder itches; I scratch it. But now my shin itches, so I scratch it. Then my nose and my side itch. I scratch them. I can't sleep 'cause I can't go ten seconds without an itch somewhere. Eventually, I give up and play around on the computer.

It never feels like bug bites or a rash or anything. It's more like the sheets are touching my skin the wrong way, if that makes any sense. I think it's just restlessness brought on by stress; I'm bothered by little things I wouldn't even notice if I could just relax and sleep. So, for me, I think it's more of a symptom of insomnia than a cause.

3. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Jul 23, 2009
    Highland Lakes, NJ
    I have always been a bit of an itchy guy, but I was using liquid shower soap that dried my skin out badly, and caused me to scratch to excess at night. I switched to the generic Aveeno type shower soap from Wally-Mart that hydrates the skin, and since doing that, the itching has almost completely ceased. It's about $3.69 a bottle. In the summer I especially need it, because I usually take two showers a day, and always after a gig.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    if you had bedbugs youd know it...i dealt with them recently...i had a very small infestation...i got bit and developed welts that are very itchy...they are tough to get rid of cause they are so thin they can get into the smallest places...my brother knew an exterminator and gave me some stuff that helped to get rid of them

6. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2007
    Delaware
    I used to a itch quite a bit at night as well until my wife started buying Dove "Winter Care" soap that, I assume, has some moisurizers in it. Problem has largely gone away now.

7. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    U.S.A
    Thanks for the additions everybody!

Possibly some allergic reaction to:

Detergent
    Dryer sheets
    Shampoo

And though I don't use tobacco, excess nicotine will cause hives and itching.

Keep 'em coming!

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Someone I know started that recently, but, I think as a result of treatment for something.

Took Benadry for night itches and zyrtec for day itches

9. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    The clothes detergent/dryer sheets thing made a difference for me. I was getting itchy hives that I figured must be some kind of allergic reaction. I switched from regular, scented Tide detergent and Bounce dryer sheets to All Free & Clear (no dyes or scents) and no fabric softener. It didn't stop the insomnia-itching thing, which I think is unrelated, but it did cut way back on the allergic, itchy hives. So that's definitely something to try. Maybe try switching to a bath soap with no dyes or perfumes, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.