Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It would be really cool if...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MonkeyJefferson, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Someone made a drop-in ashtray style replacement for the Squier Affinity model, as well as one for the Squier Standard Series. Sure would sell a kazillion. It's like collusion or something, why no one has made these. We're through the looking glass here, people.

Honest Charley likes this.

2. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I will try every once in awhile to drop a subtle hint.

3. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I agree! I will buy at least two if someone will make them :)

MonkeyJefferson likes this.

4. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    You're talking real sales. A guy with a 3 barrel drop in Affinity replacement could sell 200 of them on here in two days I bet.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think something goes missing when it comes to "ashtray" style or vintage appearance bridges, when the reference points (mount holes and on Standards, string through holes) are altered.

There's also a subtle difference in the positioning of the bridge pickup on these Squiers (Affinity, Standard) relative to the old '52 template.

My current suggestion is to cut a '52 style plate in half, and redrill the plate for top loader, then scootch this half plate lower down the body until the break angle is relaxed and the bundle of wire that holds the ball end on, is safely away from the barrel on the E and A strings.

Also, think how badly the Allparts TB 5141 (Conversion Joe Barden) has sold and how brutal the reviews are. Really hard to offer a product that might cost more than the fellow paid for his whole guitar, also. You can sell a $ 150 bridge for a $ 2,000 guitar but what if the guitar costs $ 150?

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    You can get bridges with the holes in the back, Wilkinson and others. You just need to fill the mounting holes on the body (maybe) and redrill.

7. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    You can fill and redrill. I want a drop in, seamless replacement that is reasonably priced. Drills, holes, blah, blah, I wanna play guitar.

wayloncash likes this.

8. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I know there must be a math of the market that's keeping someone from doing it, Bubba. I just want a cheap orange guitar with an ashtray bridge and no dowels and glue skewered through it! I have a no patience for arts and crafts.

Honest Charley and wayloncash like this.

9. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    ...and I sounded snarky in my previous reply, I meant to imply I'm simpleton who can't turn a wrench, who wants the easy, right now. Hear me bored machinists of the world ...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Maybe its because out of 10000 Affinity sold, 9999 are perfectly happy with the factory parts.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.

11. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    The number of mod threads here tells me I'm not alone. I like the feel of the old style bridge, been playing them too many decades, and I'm grouchy!;)

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    No....what would be really cool is that I win the Powerball and buy everyone here a new Tele. :)

Now......try and top that. :p :lol:

rburd2 and Lake Placid Blue like this.

13. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana

14. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Something tells me that its never gonna happen unless you do it. You could go to a metal shop and have the ashtray fabricated at about say 100 bucks for 1 or 2 or maybe spend 500 bucks and get a short run of 20 or so. Or invest maybe 2 grand and have them done in china and youd probably get 1000 of them. Then youd have to get them plated at another buck or 2 each. Then youd have to buy the screws springs and barrels and assemble them . So youd have maybe 10 bucks apiece in them including assembly. Sell them for 30 bucks and if youre right about all the forum members here wanting them youll sell out in about 5 years at a 200% profit. Put me down for 2.

15. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    In addition to being crappy in a woodshop, I lack even the basic concepts of entrepreneurship. I play guitar, and have done so with a fervor for close to 40 years now. Then I work my low paying job so I can go home and play more guitar. I'm not investing in DIDDILY. So no, I want someone to make ME one. Just putting it gently out there to the universe. Maybe your business plan will inspire someone for me. I know it's a hassle, that's why I just want to buy one, and not drill and fill a new guitar .

16. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    It's amazing how hard it is to find aftermarket parts that fit Chinese guitars. These "junk" guitars are great fixer uppers so you'd think some capitalist would be making a killing.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

So, a vintage looking ashtray bridge with brass saddles? What about the split steel and brass saddles? Or compensated saddles?

Does it need the corner wrinkles and dog ears to be 'authentic' (the stamping guys try to get rid of that, through better clamping, funny a 'defect' has sometimes become 'authentic')? What would the consensus be for steel chemistry, and chroming (could stainless steel be used instead to avoid the chroming process)?

Basically, what are the consensus specs to cover 80-90% of the people interested in this?

Which Squier bridge could be measured for hole placement to develop the drawings (any Affinity? Or are there differences between the different Squier plants)? Maybe a Squier layout exists somewhere already that new drawings could be made from?

(... I have some automotive stamping contacts I could float around some queries, maybe get a short-run stamping die made if there were a sufficient level of interest to do a 'group buy'. Since the tool is a significant chunk up front, some way to get commitments to cover a good portion. ...Also I wouldn't want to upset tdpri commercial rules with such a project since I kind of like it around here, so might need some advice on how to help everyone out without causing disruptions).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

As far as fitting a vintage style bridge, I have fitted the standard Wilkinson style vintage bridge on a few topload Affinitys

Needs little work, just a couple of drill holes, and I simply put a couple of scratchplate screws into the slightly visible holes to the rear of the bridge.

[​IMG]

19. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Glendale makes one. Just have to drill holes in the back for the top loading strings.

20. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I fingerpick, and I've always awkwardly, I suppose, jammed/rested my palm on top of the ashtray. When I play a "lipless" tele, I feel like I can't bear down the way I want. So to answer the specs question, I just want that lip edge! And three barrels! And a basket of warm towels no cooler than 78 degrees. And a large Tiffany bowl of M&M's with the red ones removed.

jvin248 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.