Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It would be nice if we could...

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by raysachs, Mar 30, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    This is not a problem with the site per-se, but a sort of a request for the ability to edit an original post down the road.

I ran into a situation today that I've run into once or twice before. Where I'd started a thread a month or so ago, it had mostly run it's course, and the ability to edit the original post was long since dead. But then I'd had a significant change or heart/approach about the topic of the thread and added a post to the end bringing it back up. And a lot of people would then see the thread for the first time, read the old original post, and miss the whole point of the thread resurrection (thread resurrection - seems like a good thing to talk about around Easter)...

So it would be really useful in those situations to give the original poster the ability to go back and edit just the original post to note that this older thread is coming back up again due to a notable change of opinion/conclusion that doesn't show up until page 4 or 5 or whatever. This happened to me several months back where I did a NGD post, and then just a few weeks later found a much nicer version of a very similar guitar for a great price and amended the thread to essentially note that the original NGD had been surpassed by this more recent NGD dealing with a very similar guitar. But then new readers would see the original NGD post, react to that, congratulate me for THAT guitar, discuss it, and totally miss the part about having returned it for an upgraded version, which was the whole point of the thread resurrection. Having something somewhat similar happen today.

Just a thought - to let the OP perhaps add something to an initial post in a thread well past the normal edit deadline. Maybe don't let us change what we'd already written, but at least let us append an update or notice to the first post...

-Ray

2. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I absolutely disagree , that'S , none sense!

later I now disagree with my original reply.
    but I really meant it at the time.
    I was under stress and possible facing the death penalty in Florida and texas on the day I responded today, but it was just a humiliating hallucination brought on by space madness
    MUST WATCH

Sollipsist and bender66 like this.

3. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    would or wouldn`t could or couldn`t

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I was just talking about the Space Madness episode yesterday.

"My beloved ice cream bar!"

Sollipsist likes this.

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    We just happened to be talking about Powdered Toast Man at work today. Not enough people remember that Frank Zappa played The Pope.

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    If you don't want to resurrect your own thread, post a new one.
    you can refer to the old one and explain what changed your mind.

chemobrain and HoodieMcFoodie like this.

7. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Totally forgot about this post. It lay dormant for months and then sprung to life...

I rarely feel this is important enough to start a new thread about - it's really just an addendum to the story I told in whatever the initial thread was. In any case it's much less of an issue for me now. I was in a period of real churn for awhile - I just got back into playing last year and was getting my gear back up to speed as my tastes had changed, so I did a lot of changing my mind. Buying something, returning it, getting something else, etc. Over the past couple of months I'm a lot more settled with my gear. I have the main guitars and amps I want - I don't anticipate any major purchases in the foreseeable future. The stuff I buy these days is really small stuff, around the edges, and I usually don't bother to post about it.

And obviously this was no part of a burning issue for anyone else!

-Ray

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Just add another post to the old thread, by first stating why you have started up a zombie thread. I think lots of people already do that and it seems to work fine. Yeah, you might take some ribbing, but that goes along with any thread.

9. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    its interesting, when i dig hard into research on a future gear purchase. love the threads from the era of the gear was made.Before popular opinion gets a hold of everybody..tend to gravitate to everything people dis on.And i really dig seeing someone come back years later after they know the product and give real world gigging and recording reviews after putting the product through its paces

chemobrain likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.