Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It Took Me This Long To Build A Cheap Pine Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Jan 3, 2017.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah, if it were not for the hard deadline of the contest I probably would not be this far. Mind you, getting to this far in two weeks almost killed me. The guitar still needs work. The bridge is a flat piece of wood on top, not conductive to good sound. I screwed up on the upper frets. I tape the scale to the board, then scribe the lines then cut the slots. I usually do it off the neck but this one I did on because I did not know what scale I needed till I fitted the neck. Originally I planned this to be a six string, the bridge slot and pickup allows for it. Changed it to appeal more to guitar box guitar sensibilities. It may still get a six string neck. It does sound a little tinny but I have not had a chance to play around with setting up the 'cone'.

The neck angle is too high, with a normal nut the strings bottom out on the end of the fretboard. I put a wedge under the fretboad on the top and it has too much of an angle, need to take it down. Whether or not this one gets a new neck it will be getting a new fretboard out of Jatoba (Brazillian Cherry). Need fret markers. I need to put in an output jack and volume and tone controls. I am thinking of a wheel type of affair under the fretboard over the top on the upper side. I really need to put on a few more coats and wet sand it to really make the thing pop.

So talk about me finishing an instrument is a little premature. Now if only working for a living didn't get in the way...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Missed your reply, probably had the page open for a while and you snuck in there before I came back. I think it is my short attention span. Or curiosity. I get to the point of a project and realize it actually could work out, then I see another challenge around the corner. I already decided I will work backwards and finish the acoustic and then the tele. But it being a nice day out I was taking stock of my sunroom. And it has some pieces off a pallet I brought home. And I can't figure out what to do with them. Then I had the thought, I wonder if I can make an archtop with them? Maybe I should pass them through the planner just to see? And that is usually how it starts.

3. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    No real I will get back to my other builds. I just got suckered into this 2 x 4 challenge. It is just that I had a good one kicking around and I was wondering what I should build with it.

[​IMG]

4. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    A pair of sides next to the wood for the neck. The rest for top and back along with maybe some laminate linings. Roughly four foot lengths.

[​IMG]

5. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    OK there is a thread on the 2" x 4" guitar so to go back a little there was the all spruce Martin size 5 I was making. I managed to get the neck fitting in the dovetail slot. I screwed it up and fought with it back and forth and for a time I thought it would win but in the end everything seems to line up.

[​IMG]

I have a fretboard and a bridge bank that seems to match each other well enough. I slotted the board and glued it onto the neck.

[​IMG]

Started shaping the neck and decided to do a volute on this one.

[​IMG]

A couple of hours carving. This baby needs a tan. I have the feeling it might be Engelmann spruce by the white color.

[​IMG]

RodeoTex and awasson like this.
  6. jfitch45

jfitch45 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Johnson City, TN
    Where are you buying your top bundles?!

7. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    The tops were brought in by a lumber yard, a part pallet of them They were rejects but I am not as discriminating. Some were too small for a factory to process, some had streaks or uneven coloring, some uneven grain pattern. There was a lot of junk but then again they were rejects. I learned a little about wood doing it, what is good or bad wood to use. A couple of hours of sorting wood was a good experience. As far as lower priced tops, there is a British Columbia company called Wood To Works that has classical sized tops labeled as factory grade for $4 CND, so $U.S. It is probably not well quartered and if used in a factory would be used on a painted topped guitar. This is one example.

[​IMG]

If I did not have a good supply of tops right now I would pick some up just to experiment with. Actually I was looking for a 'scrap' top to use to see what Taylor's NEW V-CLASS BRACING is all about. I struggled to find a top I wanted to scrap.

jfitch45 likes this.
  8. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Doing a rosette after the fact is a little harder. Measure the hole size and cut the diameter part way though then flip it over and cut the diameter just a bit wider so the disc does not go all the way down the hole. Then glue a block to the disc and when dry drill all the way through. Stick the drill bit in the hole and this will be my centering pin for the router jig to rotate around.

[​IMG]

Beside the router base is the bit. It stuck out too much, the jig is adjustable and the centering hole being a little to the left or the right would cause the jig to tilt. The drill bit just happened to fit through at a good diameter for the rosette. I got lucky otherwise I would have to grind the drill bit down.

[​IMG]

The lower bout area was a little deep for the herringbone so I cut up sections of the purfling and built up the bottom. The wood started to swell as I was putting the purling in the inside and outside of the herringbone. I had to work with a razor blade and small screwdriver to force the purfling in. I hope it turns out alright. Much less stress putting a rosette in before the top is on a guitar. Used fish glue to give me a little more working time, the down side is now I have to wait a day to scrape it flush.

[​IMG]

So I went to get a drink from the fridge, 'I wonder how the rosette is doing?' Went down and poked it with my fingernail, it feels hard enough. Gave it a quick scrape, popped on the neck,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    awasson likes this.
  9. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah, 'oh look, there is a shiny object over there', I have a problem with getting an idea and not wanting to wait and to see how it will turn out. First off, the cheap tops I mentioned in the second post up turned out to be not too bad. Bought ten and they are all usable and four I think are quite good and if the color was white they would be upgraded a few levels.

Now back to the pine Tele. I put the fret wire in and need to finish them off. The big question I have now is on the tuners. Because it is such a light guitar I think I would like to go with open tuners to get the weight down for balance. Has anyone used open tuners on a Tele or Strat?

10. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Picked up the pine Tele project. I found anything but a Strat with it's belly and arm cut hurts me. So out comes the marker.

[​IMG]

Caint wait till the finish takes on that honey hue.

[​IMG]

Zepfan, T Bone Slort and awasson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.