Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It took me a long time to finally made the desicion and it will take me longer to fully pay it off..

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    ..but in the end it will make me the owner of one of THESE!

[​IMG]
    I wanted to own a Rickenbacker 330 from the days as a child when seeing Wally Palmar of the Romantics and Wendy Melvoin of the Revolution toting them.

Add to the fact that I'm a big Paul Weller fan and you know where I'm coming from.

Now Rickies here in the Netherlands are anything BUT commonplace and the waiting list for retailers is two years, they also aren't very cheap either but after having played a very nice mapleglo example recently I decided that there's no use fighting against GAS I had since childhood.

So today I went into a store of which I knew carries Rickies and asked the manager if I could order a 330 in Jet-glo, he told me that he ordered one last year and it was due to come in, and when it does I can make a down payment on it and pay the rest of the money as it comes.

This will take a long time but when I finish I know I'll have THAT guitar, the one I wanted for so long.

"In the city there's a lot of things I wanna say to you..."

Shango66, Gibson, pondcaster and 17 others like this.

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Excellant choise, and congrats, I could not believe my good fortune to find a 78' ricky 4001, left handed in a pawn shop , I talked him down 300.00 on a cash sale with the original case and 1978 warrentee card with the same serial # on it I was exstatic!

I hope you have fun with it you dont see these very often!

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    That's a keeper. Beautiful guitar....and it will sound even better.

Keep us posted Blazer.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock

5. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I have been going through the exact struggle for the past few months. I just really, really want one. I have a Rick 330 12 string, but I really am ousting hard for a black 330. Zero need, major want.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    This is one of the few things in life where nothing else will do, I'm not a picky person, and usually can find a acceptable workaround for just about anything; not a 300 series RIC, it's almost another instrument; yes its a guitar, but in that way that a Hofner is a bass...but, or a L-series Gibson is an arch top..except...

All the current copies are rubbish.. not even close, like those horrid LP copies from the early '70s.

You must have the real thing and it is worth every penny, I play in a different style now but still occasionally miss my old beat 360, and would like to have one of those little single PU "Electros" one day. when "I've got a pocket full of pretty green.."

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think Ricks are the absolute coolest guitars ever but when I finally sat down to play a couple, I hated, just hated, the neck and the ergonomics. Took me a while to realize it just wasn't for me as much as I wanted otherwise. Enjoy your purchase, I hope it's everything you wanted!

asnarski likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Nice! May the time until you receive it pass quickly.

10. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations! You won't regret it. Rics are a breed of their own, and good value though they're not cheap. Long may you rock it.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

12. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012

Congrats! Like you, I'm a huge Paul Weller fan, in face this week is the 35th anniversary since I last saw The Jam live.

I ended up with two Mapleglo 330's and here they are for your pleasure.

IMG_5459.JPG

I always wanted the Whaaamm! Lichtenstein inspired one....One of the above ones is about twenty years old and a previous owner had clearly exposed it to some climate change which resulted in some crackling of the finish which keeps making me think...should I go for the full pop art finish.

13. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Well, me, my brother and his girlfriend went to the city of Venlo today which is where I played that Mapleglo one I mentioned in the OP.

I went into the store where it was and to my delight it was still there, so I asked if I could play it and once again was reminded what a superb example of the breed it was.
    22007461_10212044031508830_3732633516705502396_n.jpg
    My sister in law said that she could tell how much I loved that guitar from the way I played. It all went so effortlessly and fluid.

So now I'm thinking of giving up on that Jet-glo one and going for this mapleglo one seeing at what an awesome example it is.

Before we went home I bought myself The Jam's "All Mod's cons" CD so I could play that in my car on the drive home.

Hey, I'm a Weller fan, don't ruffle the feathers of my peacock suit.

Doug 54 and BadMojo like this.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I only played a Rick once, and when I heard the pickups I wondered why more people don't play country on them. They twang!

Nice!

15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    +1

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Gorgeous, Blazer.

I'm very excited for you!!
    :)

17. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Not just that but they work surprisingly well with overdrive too, I did a convincing David Gilmour on the day when that picture of me was taken.

Staypuft1652 and ac15 like this.

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Nice. My podnah plays a ric bass. It exudes vibe.

19. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Lots of things have always attracted me to Rics, they were very mysterious back in the pre-internet days, I'd read about Fogerty using one, TP, Westerberg, and I was a big Plimsouls/Peter Case fan. I stumbled onto a 400 series in the late 80s but just couldn't make it sound the way I wanted and ditched it. In retrospect I didn't have the right setup (a brown Fender Pro that I could never turn up past 3 without the neighbors calling the police). Still like to get my hands on a good 360.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The Ric makes an awesome unique sound. If you gotta have that sound, you had no choice but to pony up. Congrats and I'm certain that there will be no regrets. Good luck Blazer and celebrating your happiness with you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.