Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It just got real

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    I picked up the wood blanks from Dad today. He did a really nice job machining and gluing this alder together, don't ya think so?

body alder wood.jpg

They are 13" x 20" x 1 3/4"

troy2003, Vespa_One and guitarbuilder like this.

2. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto
    They look great. Isn't 13" too narrow for pretty much any full size guitar body?

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    13 is pretty spot on for teles and strats. Off the top of my head I think it's 12.5 or 12.75. My planer is 13 inches and when i make a body I'm pushing it pretty close on the bank. With only a tiny bit of room on either side.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yep , Steve is correct , 12.75" wide on my plan for a tele

5. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    there actually 13- 1/4", and yes just big enough.

6. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    On my first one, I had the local Woodcraft store cut the blank from the rough "chunk" that I took them. I told the guy that the length needed to be "at least" 16" long. He took that to mean "exactly" 16" long. :mad:

Thankfully, I did have about 1/8" of length to work with once they got done with it. Lol.

7. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Wow! Adirondak5, how does one get to be a Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire? This merit badge I haven't seen before.

8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Well Matt , there's a few ways to get that badge , you can start off as a wood hoarders apprentice and put many , many years in squirreling wood away , or you can buy an add free subscription and also donate to the good ole TDPRI and they will let you pick your own badge of honor . I went with the latter choice , although I have spent many years hoarding fine woods .:D

troy2003 likes this.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I think I might have earned it. This is the south half of the shop. There's more on the north side. Somehow I find room to work in there.
    Hey, I could quit any time I want - I just don't want.
    Shop 1.jpg Shop 2.jpg

Cheers,
    Rex

10. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Hmmm . . . I might spare myself the splinters and take the second path. Thanks for the tip!

11. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Uh Yes you do ;)

wow, there's enough wood to build a whole stash of teles !

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yep, one of these days when I get retired I'm going to have to try to start selling some - I'm running out of guitarist friends to give them away to!

brogh likes this.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    OK, Pony Express, sorry for hijacking your thread. With the weekend coming we're all hoping to see some updates to your build!
    And getting back to your opening question, YES, I do think your dad did a great job prepping those blanks. And regarding the other thread that went south, I liked your logo and think keeping your state (and town if you like) in it is fine. My headstock logo says "Handmade in Arizona" and I like it that way, because I love my home and my hobby. I'm making them for me, and for gifts anyway, not to sell, so who cares what someone might consider "marketable" or otherwise?
    Best of luck on the builds,
    Rex

14. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    thanks Rex. Great minds think alike I guess.

cooking a bbq comp this weekend and templates have not arrived yet but as soon as they do its on.

read all of ron's stuff already.

And about my Dad. He was a heavy equipment mechanic all his working years. When he retired he started watching the wood working shows on public television like the yankee wood shop with norm and the like. Next thing you know he has a shop full of tools and clamps and building all kinds of stuff. Nobody ever had a clue there was a wood worker in there.

troy2003 likes this.

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    have you ever thought about making a kind of "auction " ? ;)

16. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Is that a slab of Gopher Wood I see on one of those racks?

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Ha, no more hijacking Pony's thread for me! See my IraqiCaster update later today for the incorporation of some Red Gopher into the build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.