Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Issues with Leaving Pickguard Off?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tone Seeker, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Regina, Canada
    If I build a partscaster without a pickguard, and finish it with nitro, will I have problems with pick marks?

Terry.

2. Ranger

Ranger TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Yes, if you ever play with a pick, otherwise no.

3. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker TDPRI Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Regina, Canada
    I see a number of T-style guitars built w/o pickguards. Do they use a harder finish?

Terry.

4. pgeiger

pgeiger TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I'm building a partscaster without a pickguard - but I don't use one.

5. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    yep, if you play it, pick marks will happen. it doesn't bother me, i see them as character marks on a well-played axe, but if cosmetic perfection is your thing, it may bother you.

6. Gene Machine

Gene Machine Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Bedford, NS
    clear

Brad Paisley uses a clear pickguard on his paisley custom teles and esquires. i think they are Crook guitars.

anyway, dual purpose. you can see the body underneath and it protects the finish.

g.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, Brad likes those Crook machines, nice guitars.

I agree with Woodman, pick wear is appropriate on a guitar just like dirt is appropriate on boots. I use tiny, vestigial pickguards for the same reason, if I miss the pickguard and hit the guitar, that is just the way it is.

8. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    New England
    The tele I made was finished with deft clear and it has pick marks, but I dunno if they are a problem, they don't stand out unless the light is hitting it at the right angle. I agree with woodman, character. It's my first home built and I decided not to get hung up about stuff like that.

no pickguard

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.