Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Is this the minwax nitro lacquer?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by papaschtroumpf, Jul 15, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado

2. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2010
    NY
    Sure looks like Nitro to me, although I don't recall ever using this one. Thins with lacquer thinner, recoats every 30 like nitro, not for use on floors like nitro...I'd call it nitro. I think this six pack should do the items you have no problem. The cans look pretty beefy.

3. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Thanks, ordered a 6-pack.
    This is a low cost build, so I didn't want to go with ReRanch/Stewmac, and since I don't own a compressor and gun, my options are limited.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    It's the same Minwax lacquer I used. I verified it's nitro from the data sheet on the Minwax site. Next time check your local Wally World. I got it there for $6.48 a can, if memory serves, and I'm sure my local Home Despot stocks it in the store for under that $9/can price.

6. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I checked Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and Ace. Most could order it but none had it local. Since I am working on 2 guitars I guess I don't mind getting the 6 pack. I may even be able to return individual unused cans at HD if decide to.

Thanks for confirming it's the right stuff.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    All of the products commonly available at retail labeled "lacquer" in aerosol cans are relatively similar acrylic/nitro blends. The only significantly different brand is Deft, which tends to have a very extended cure time.

Virtually none found in a retail outlet like HD will be pure "nitro" - that's a specialty product found in very limited quantities - and you wouldn't want to use it. "Nitro" dries FAR too stiff for guitar work.

99% of solvent-based lacquers have been acrylic/nitrocellulose blends since the 1920's. "Acrylic" often does not appear on MSDS because it is not a hazardous ingredient.

Flakey likes this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I have used this product on guitars, with good success. It may create a slightly softer finish than other lacquers I've used, love Behlen's Stringed Instrument Lacquer, but they'll all scratch if you handle them roughly, hey?

9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Find a Mohawk distributor near you. Most of them are set up to put the product into rattle cans for you and even tint/color it to your preference, or you could simply get the product in quarts/gallons and use it in a PreVal sprayer! Go with their "Classic Instrument Lacquer" or as some prefer their "Piano Lacquer." Once you start using your own clear to make your own tints & colors, the options become endless! And yes, the PreVal things work pretty darned well!

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/find-a-distributor.aspx

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Flakey likes this.

10. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I've heard mixed reviews about the preval sprayer but have never used it myself.
    I was looking at Mohawk but since their web site says nothing about getting it in a can, I moved on. I might check then out again if I need a tinted lacquer.

11. jgriffin

jgriffin TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Cumming, GA, USA
    Preval's are fine but they get cold and start to spit just like a regular spray can. I wouldn't use them to do a whole guitar unless it was a solid or clear.

12. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    And also, "just like a regular spray can" if you immerse the vessel/jar of finish in fairly warm water before spraying, you'll be fine for a "three pass coat" on a guitar. Just remember to NOT shake the PreVal like a rattle can or turn it upside down to clear the nozzle. FWIW, I keep a little jar of lacquer thinner to drop the nozzle into in between coats.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

13. jgriffin

jgriffin TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Cumming, GA, USA
    I learned about the warm water trick post Preval. I tried to do a candy apple red with Reranch and warm water. That was the day I bought a compressor and gun. Isn't the Preval canister the part that gets cold and not the jar? Or does warming the paint itself prevent the canister from freezing up?

14. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA

15. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Interesting. I looked for instrument lacquer and only saw it listed in "bucket" containers.
    Bookmarked for future reference.

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, and if you find a Mohawk distributor, they will typically color your lacquer to your choice and put it up in rattle cans for you! There are two in Denver under the name "Warp Speed Woodworking Supply":

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/find-a-distributor.aspx

Just My $.02,
    Gene

17. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I use Mohawk products exclusively on a daily basis in my furniture restoration business. I've tried allot of other commercial brands & none of them compare to Mohawk in terms of the amount of products offered & customer service. I have not found a better quality product either. They are a fantastic company to deal with & are very friendly to luthiers. They offer all of their lacquers, sealers & toners in aerosol cans as well as bulk. Their aerosols spray beautifully. I use them for touch ups & repairs. They are less expensive than anything you can find in the stores. Much better quality too. Want a more durable nitrocellulose finish? Use their pre-catalyzed lacquer. By the way, Minwax lacquer has been acrylic for the last few years. The updated MSDS reflects that.

Bob

18. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Thanks, I didn't know what the document name was. After Googling it and matching to the part number (15200) the MSDS published less than 2 months ago is:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggiMAE&usg=AFQjCNH95PRNKpYmnluNDoSCNHxob8Zh4w

The list of ingredients is:

Acetone
    n-Butyl Acetate
    Propane
    Butane
    Methanol
    Cellulose Nitrate
    2-Propanol

Since the main solid in the formulation is Nitro, I'll call it good enough for this project.

19. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Ah, they changed it again. Two months ago, wow. Last time I checked a year or two ago, cellulose nitrate wasn't present. It caused quite a stink in this forum. It doesn't really matter much though. Acrylic won't yellow as much. The Minwax lacquer has always been a good choice for store bought lacquer. Dries hard. Rather quickly too.

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Or you can switch out the air can between passes. I've done bursts with them. Short fast movements building color shooting at angle across the surface is the key for that.

jgriffin likes this.

21. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I've actually spoken with the paint shop that used to supply Gibson when they were in Kalamazoo, and they still sell the same blend of lacquer that was used back in the day...it can only be sold in 5 gallon buckets, bulk style. Though, they can fill spray cans if you purchase in a 5 gallon quantity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.