Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is this SFSR price reasonable?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Deafen, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    Local independent shop just got in an early 68 SF Super Reverb (black lines on the faceplate). Excellent cosmetic condition (not mint, but really nice), recently overhauled and retubed by one of the "name" techs in town, all original otherwise. Quiet as a mouse, sounds amazing.

Bottom line price is 1250. I've got some things I can trade in to bring that down; the lovely and talented has me on a short leash because of some (worth it) impulse purchases in November.

Haven't been in the market for Fenders in a while, so I have no idea if this is reasonable or not. But I've always wanted a Super, ever since the rhythm guitarist in my first band played a 66. Thoughts?

nojazzhere likes this.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Sounds like a good deal, especially considering the source. Presumably, the shop is reputable and did their due diligence and performed any necessary maintenance.

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Get it!

Ain't no way you'll regret that.

Edit: +1 on @8barlouie

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Original CTS alnico speakers? Then yes.

Make sure the filter caps were part of the recent overhaul.

5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    If everything on the amp is working and it sounds good, the price seems ok. Go for it and play play play!!!

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Sounds nice....how strong is your back?

7. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    My back is fine, but it doesn't matter - my amps don't leave the house. I record with my amps and gig with a Helix. :D

Jakedog likes this.

8. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    These guys are the best in town, and are known as the go-to place for vintage Fenders and Voxes. They're also the place I have all the guitar work done that I don't do myself. I trust them.

8barlouie likes this.

9. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    I appreciate everyone encouraging my GAS! I knew I asked the right people.

Need to see what my trade stuff is worth to them, but I can probably get the price tag down to something reasonable. Stay tuned!

CoyotesGator likes this.

10. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    Just moved my blackfaced SFSR upstairs to be the bedroom amp for a while. It's stooopid good, even at low volume. I'm in Raleigh if you want to give 'er a go.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Blackline usually means BF innards.

At $1250 is a little high (I paid less for my BFSR recently), but if it is original, and sounds like a BFSR should, get it.

12. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If it's a shop you expect a margin. Balance that against original (especially for home use) you don't have to re-cap, re-speaker and work done by reputable firm. And you can trade instead of listing stuff (sellers fees). So even if price is steep can still work out good. Plus price on these has probably gone as low as it will.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Depends on the buyer. Some are willing to research, wait patiently for months and months, and then pounce, knowing they'll have to do the service work. That's how I do it, and from that perspective, yes, this price is a bit high. I paid $800 for my all original '71 9 months ago. That was from a store, too, but it was an online sale, and they did no service. Untouched, as is. All original tubes, speakers, and circuit.

For someone who doesn't do their own service, and is perhaps a bit uncertain about getting the right vintage amp, buying a ready-to-go amp through a local retailer - that you can play first - can have it's own value.

I wouldn't call this one cheap, but for some buyers, this seems pretty fair. Sounds like a good amp.

14. Deafen

Deafen Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    I passed.

I took my stuff in for them to look at in trade and spent some quality time with it while they were researching. Turns out two of the speakers are replaced (WGS Veteran 10s), and while the others were alnico, I couldn't find the ID numbers to see if they were original. V1 was empty - yes, I know that I would have done that myself once I got it home, but not being able to audition the Normal channel doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. It did sound really nice, but not nice enough to be worth what they were offering me in trade for the stuff I brought in; I would have had to give up my 67 Ampeg Gemini V, two nice guitars, and three premium pedals, plus $380 cash, to take it home. Just not worth it, and not worth the $1200 it would have run me cash.

So I'll start keeping my eyes open for something similar, but I'm in absolutely no rush, so NBD.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Next time, to audition the normal channel, just pull V2 and use that.

Too bad about the speakers.

Now you have a better idea what to look for, and whether you want one or not. Thing about these big SFs... as long as you stay earlier than '77, which is about when they changed the circuit in a big way, they all sound great, play great, live forever, and are very hard to kill. Just factor in a couple hundred bucks in one-time service, and the amp will outlast you.

All I really need in a SF is original transformers, and a cab that's not been broken (which is rare). Original glass is nice, but not critical, as some preamps are getting noisy, and some power tubes are finally wearing out. In the case of the Super, I need those CTS alnicos, but in most other cases, vintage speakers are not necessarily a plus.

Deafen likes this.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 4:36 AM

17. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    yeah before the internet hype (& fender marketing/rebashing of old ideas) the 68 was always the least desirable of all supers, (after the MV ones)

weird **** in its bias circuit etc...

I see excellent conditions bf 65s in the low 1500s

so no.

Deafen likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.