Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Is this forum for crusty old geezers?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverman, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Silverman

Silverman TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Perhaps it has been myopic of me to imagine that all the disembodied entities behind the posts are of similar characteristics to myself.

Do telecasters hold a particular sway over the liver-spotted boomers - the last remnant of a guard whose rearing was saturated in a music scene that the less-aged can only wistfully imagine?

Is there any room for the telecaster in today's stream-lined, instant gratification-obsessed, disposable, sterile commercial jingle-like music scene? Will time swallow up the cultural identity of a generation of yore, and compress it into bitesized ad-campaigns to compensate for the following's lack of?

What shall become of the telecaster?!

Pray tell, keepers of history!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    1955, kuvash, Sofaplayer and 5 others like this.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Even a liver-spotted boomer such as myself can see the Tele is alive and well with today’s musical youth. Even a casual perusal in Google will bear that out.

3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    The Telecaster will out-live me.

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Fear not ! We geezers shall bequeath our Tele's to the unwashed masses of youth, that they shall seek the truth !

5. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2006
    NE Ohio
    I was feeling kind of youthful and vital this morning, working from 6AM straight through till almost 11AM. Took my first break of the day and came here for some refreshing Tele conversations. First thread I opened was this.

Now, I feel old and in the way at 63. Worse yet, I own 5 Fender Teles. I am a poster child for the liver spotted Tele owner.

I do think 50 years from now the Tele will still be popular... and, I won't be.
    strat54, drlucky, AirDvl and 7 others like this.

6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i was a lot younger when i joined this forum than i am now

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Liver Spot Boomers.

Dibs on the name!
    mabley123, frpax, thegeezer and 5 others like this.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    You pose two distinct questions...."Is this forum for crusty old geezers"....and "What shall become of the Telecaster"? Yes, this forum has a lot of (us) old geezers, but it also has a lot of "geezers-in-waiting", and guys (and hopefully gals) who want to mine the experiences and knowledge those geezers possess. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but maybe I have a snippet or two I can share....and you can listen or not. But many of the old guys here are not just "old soldiers" sitting around in the nursing home reliving past glories....they're still out there in the trenches, fighting battles, and devising new strategies to do their jobs. I, for one, welcome fresh blood and viewpoints....exposure to new artists and even products, although I pretty much have all the tools I need to accomplish my objectives....but you never know, right?
    As to what shall become of the Telecaster?....good question. It has remained unchanged for nearly seventy years, (not a long time in the scheme of things) and until some radical shift in musical thinking occurs, I think it will remain with us in one form or another. Obviously, someone in the 1600's, 1700's or 1800's couldn't envision electric and electronic instruments like we have, but is music really that different from their day? It's still basically a twelve tone scale, arranged in patterns pleasing to contemporary ears, for the purpose of touching people's emotions. And as long as someone is capable of picking up a Tele and doing that, it should still be least I hope it will. ;)
    Piggy Stu, preactor, strat54 and 7 others like this.

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    frpax likes this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Yeah.....that's a "geezer" problem....involuntary tootin'....

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    It took me a long time to finally warm up to the telecaster. I think it is a sign of musical maturity. Eventually the next generation will learn to behold the power of the tele ... and the next generation after that ... and the next ...

13. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I'm still living the generation X thing and my liver spots have socks which are older than you....
    Endless Mike and nojazzhere like this.

14. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Dilly, dilly.
    nojazzhere and Nickadermis like this.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I’m starting to appreciate the liver spot to the left of my left eye.

It looks like a tattoo of a mermaid sitting on an anchor.

I just wish her boobs were bigger.

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Perhaps the OP may one day attain such lofty status...signed, Keeper of the Crust

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    That is lyrically satirical...made my frickin day...thanks!
    Nickadermis likes this.

18. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    My theory behind old guys and teles is that we lose a lot of our top-end hearing as we get older. We're losing the ability to hear treble frequency so we gravitate to the trebliest guitar ever.

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    You have to remember, these liver spotted boomers were kids in the 50s and some saw the original electric guitars actually being used by cowboy bands and early rockers. It kind of stamps a nostalgia aura in our brains. That said, I'm originally from the Midwest and those early musical encounters my parents dragged me to, also know as the "local dance" or fairground "artists", were memorable. I do remember however that mostly thick Gibson's, L models, were the order of the day in most bands. The whole Fender Telecaster emergence kind of took place in California, then Texas and then deep Southern States. Some of it spread to Chicago.

By the mid 50s when Les Paul ruled and Chuck Berry came along. Gibson had the focus with the Les Paul and 335 models. Then the Beatles hit with a variety of Gretsch guitars. This is the era when the definitions of guitar tone we know today took place. Prior to this time most guitars were recorded clean. Eric Clapton, friend of the Beatles brought forward, in this order, the exposure of the average kid to various guitar models i.e. Telecaster, Les Paul, SG, 335. This was long before his Fender Strat days. Jimi Hendrix brought forward the Strat, which was marginally popular after the Beatles had used one on a record and the British invasion bands also drove some marginal Strat popularity. These bands also used Epiphone, Mossrite, Baldwin and a host of other now obscure models. BB king settled in on the the 335.

The tele had a brief return to popularity when George Harrison used one on the Beatles last couple of albums.

I would say for almost 30 years the Strat however, was the guitar of choice on most rock, pop, 80s, 90s music. It totally dominated the landscape and coming in second was the Les Paul in Southern Rock and Metal (root of metal sound was Black Sabbath and Deep Purple). So overall if you played Rock, you played either an LP or a Strat.

When Waylon Jennings emerged with the Outlaws with his white leatherbound tele in the 70s, it brought forward the tele again. Then Merle Haggard and a host of players in a direct line to today. During the early 60s the tele also continued as a Western Swing and Country guitar but the modern country tele sound emerged through later guys like Brent Mason and his earlier influencers in the 70s, host of Nashville old skill players. This is the country sound today that so many players try to learn i.e. chickn pickn. The "Hot Rod Lincoln" sound was an early root of what later emerged. There is a host of tele players going back to Jimmy Bryant who kept the Tele alive and popular but it's usage went up and down. Jimmy actually played Mossrite later in his career.

I find the tele, pure, simple, base guitar. Is there a place for it in todays world? If you find a mellow place with a fine selection of food and drink. You will likely find a tele. There's your history.

20. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    I guess I now qualify as a geezer; not sure about the crusty part yet, but I'll start to work on it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.