Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is this common?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tonyv77, Nov 20, 2017.

1. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Do you see what's going on here? MIM Tele, working on a pup swap for a friend. Weird... IMG_20171120_210409.jpg

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    What's bothering you about it?

radiocaster likes this.

3. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    The neck route looks like a dog bone. CNC fail.

DrASATele likes this.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

all the best ones have blue dots.....:D

the mickey mouse ears are on all the mex bodies... cnc alignment marks?... or just to tell them apart from US bodies...;)

P90 mex Tele.jpg

5. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    Cocaine holders. Very common.

DrASATele, ponce and Huddy like this.

6. YALCaster

YALCaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    Most mim strats/teles/etc. have that neck pocket rout. It’s so you can swap strat and tele necks with no issues. It’s intended to be shaped that way

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Neither the mouse ears in the neck pocket nor the bucker rout for the neck are unusual for the older MIMs. Nothing to worry over.

8. FerruleCat

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    There's no reason not to have the pocket straight across the bottom instead of over-cut at the corners.

9. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    They've made some of their bodies that way for decades. It's just one of a dozen or so manufacturing expedients that goes into every body they produce.

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    The holes will hold solder and sometimes a soldering iron!:D

11. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Nobody's got it yet. Think about the forum I posted in......

EDIT: oh well I'll let it out. Maybe it's normal. It's a 3 colour burst but, underneath the pickguard area of the lower horn it's finished as a 2 colour burst.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    You mean the 2-tone, 3-tone thing?

tonyv77 likes this.

13. FerruleCat

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    It's a sunburst on a partly cloudy day.

EDIT: Probably didn't want to shoot into the reference divots because of the run potential. That horn is under the guard anyway, right?

DrASATele and tonyv77 like this.

14. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    If you're wondering why they didn't take finishing pains over part of the body that isn't visible when it's an assembled guitar, take a look at all the other stuff that's hidden by the pickguard. I couldn't say I've noticed it before, but I'd guess it's fairly normal.

15. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Oh yeah it's all under the guard, no worries, just thought it was odd. Guess I'll never buy a MIM to go pickguardless.

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not odd at all. It's a money-saver to omit application labor of an extra color when it won't be seen.

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Are the 3 holes for parking meter change?

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I got it, I got it! No bare feet in pic.

nojazzhere likes this.

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    This reminds me of a story.
    It's amazing what industry does to save money.

Years ago, I had a canned dog-food client that had been having problems with their product spoiling in the can, bulging, and exploding in customer's pantries, cabinets, etc. Can you imagine the smell and mess? This resulted in some pretty impressive insurance claims, so I was dispatched to the dog food manufacturer to see what was going on.

After the obligatory gag-fest (trust me, you do NOT want to visit a dog food manufacturer--wait for the How It's Made episode.:eek:) I learned that after they ground, pureed, added the sawdust, industrial waste and other delicious ingredients, the cans were placed on a conveyor that took them to a "retort column", about 80 ft tall, full of hot water, maintained at just the right temperature to supposedly cook the dog food right to the point that all bacteria was killed. Except sometimes. Which caused the rotting, bloating, and exploded cans.

Naive me, I suggested they up the temperature of the retort water, and/or add some dwell time for the cans in the hot water, to ensure full cooking. You'd think I suggested that they start plating their cans with gold. That process was regulated to within 1-2 degrees F, and dwell time for the cans to within 3-4 seconds in the retort, to minimize manufacturing expense. It was calculated to work with most of the product, and was within their statistical process controls. Unfortunately, those one in a million fails cost their liability insurance company thousands, so the underwriter decided to part company, because they simply would not crank up the temp by a few degrees, and run the conveyor a little slower.

That Fender programs the painter robot to stop shooting the area under the pickguard reminded me of exactly this. Except for the smell. I guess when you run multiple thousands of items, a little thing can make a big diff in the bottom line.

Sorry for the rambling derail, interesting observation on the paint job.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    They had that feature since the 1970s. Maybe not on every guitar model since then, but it was pretty common in the 70s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.