Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is this a good piece of maple

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I was looking for a neck blank to go with my quartersawn cocobolo fingerboard and I dug this up out of the pile. Would you all consider this neck blank worthy of a cocobolo fingerboard?
    IMG_5364[1].JPG
    IMG_5365[1].JPG

2blue2 likes this.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    That looks beautiful.

Marn99 likes this.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    actually . . it's perfect.... shape the neck so the curved grain faces the back of the neck.... and align it so the truss rod will be aligned down the center of the grain's curve...

rk

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Marn99 and 2blue2 like this.

4. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    just to reenforce the quality of that piece.. I would take that cut of lumber's ability to resist any and all machinations time, environment, and misuse can bring upon a piece of wood, over one made of quarter sawn lumber...

that piece of wood is perfect...

rk

Marn99 likes this.

5. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Can't get a much better endorsement than that! Start shaping.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Yes but shift or flip the alignment of your template according to Ron's recommendations - don't just select the area with the closest lines.

Ron, when you say "curved grain faces the back of the neck" do you mean in the photo above the OP's thumb is on the back and the forefinger is on the fretboard side?

Marn99 and Steve Holt like this.

7. mtorn

mtorn Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Yep, that looks great.
    One thought - make sure that it's "hard maple" (not a real species, I know), and not some kind of soft maple.
    You probably already know what you have there, but for the times when I don't I like to stick my fingernail into the wood, to see if I can make much of a dent. It's a very scientific Janka measurement...

If you haven't worked with cocobolo before, one note. For me, it's by far the most irritating wood I've worked on for my respiratory system. Just one cut, or a little sanding, and I feel nose and throat discomfort. So wear some kind of dust mask.
    For all its beauty, I've stopped using cocobolo.

Marn99 and Steve Holt like this.

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Cocobolo does the same to me. So I stopped using it.

Marn99 likes this.

9. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    the reverse... the "thumb" side should be the fingerboard side...

to get a feel of what the curved grain can do.. take an ordinary retractable tape measure, ya know the ones with the curved blade..... run it out a few feet... with the concave side up feel the resistance to "buckling"... now turn it over... all it takes is gravity to cause it to buckle..

the curved grain offers the same kind of strength and being symmetrical with the geometry of the neck any bending that results from normal use will be well within the ability of normal adjustments to correct...

NOW/..this does not mean any neck NOT having the same grain structure is inferior.... it only means for those that obsess over the "best" resistance to the bending flexing, etc., that can show up on a neck.. there is no better grain pattern period.

You guys do NOT run out and buy a new neck... wait until you play out all the "good tunes" in the one you have... :p

rk

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

Ron, thanks for this, I was also confused by your first statement about which way the grain should face, but that makes all the sense in the world now!

Marn99 likes this.

11. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    yep, it is Acer saccharum! I bought the cocobolo about a year ago. here is a pic of it :)
    IMG_5367[1].JPG

Steve Holt likes this.

12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Alright, Here is my plan for this neck and fingerboard. Cocobolo fingerboard with paua abalone position markers and side dots (1/4th and 3/32nd inch, respectively) with a 2 piece swamp ash body, either unaged blonde nitro or clear gloss nitro, a black 5 hole bakelite pickguard, heel adjusted single action truss rod, and flat top knobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.