Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is this a good guitar for beginners?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Emilinconfussion, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Emilinconfussion

Emilinconfussion TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    So i am a complete beginner, and i cannot do anything on an Electric guitar... i found a really awesome Telecaster from Fender, and i wondered If it would be a good beginners guitar.
    The model is "Fender Modern Player Tele Thinline BK". ( https://m.thomann.de/dk/fender_modern_player_tele_thinline_bk.htm ) .

I found a Fender (not a Squier) because i want something that will be stable at least 4 years..

Thanks on demand, friends:)

2. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes! I've never played it and I don't know what prices are like there but I bet it would be a great guitar to start on. I know I did a lot worse and I never realized how much a good (not expensive) guitar could help my learning.

3. starsgang

starsgang TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah. That's awesome. Another good range is the Squier Classic Vibe range. It's not as crap as the other Squier range, probably closer in quality to a Mexican Fender (which at that price, I assume your modern player is). The classic vibe is fantastic for the price, and I'm regularly using my classic vibe strat over my more expensive guitars. If you told me it were a mexican fender, or a mid-tier jap/american one, I wouldn't question it.

For any guitar (especially since it's your first), I recommend going to the store and picking it up in-person. Even if you can't play, get a feel for the neck; neck thickness is really important in inspiring you to play. I love thicker necks now, but when I started as a young teenager, my hands were weak and I preferred playing thin necks. If you know someone who is any decent at playing guitar, bring them with you so they can tell you what's good about it.

Oh, and always buy the one that you played/ felt! Guitars might have the same specs, but they can feel and play differently. Always insist on getting the one you played, not the one in the boxes out back.

badfish_lewis likes this.

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Welcome Ex-riverman!!!! I believe the best guitar for you would be the one that fits in both hands and feels comfortable to you no matter the cost as long as you can afford it.

Hands on is important for your first guitar. Does it feel good? Can you get your hand around the neck and your fingers to the frets? Does your hand slide up and down the neck? Does it sit in your lap nicely? Or does it hang from your strap so you can get to everything? If electric do you need a lead cord and an amplifier? Can you use those where you live? Many things on a first guitar.

Welcome and ask away as many people here are willing to help!!

badfish_lewis and dalcoop like this.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A beginner is never going to know how a guitar feels. How the heck can he? So I stopped giving that advice to new players.

I don't know guitar prices in Demmark, but knowing the current exchange rate of Euro to $, that seems like a good deal.

However, I would recommend a simpler two single coil pickups, one volume, one tone, and one switch. Keep it simple.

And I will certainly say Squier is just fine, and not recommend a "Fender" because of retaining its value.

Penguinchit likes this.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    That should be a great first guitar. It's got P90s, which are somewhere between standard single coils and humbuckers tonewise - they'll work for just about any style of music you want to play. It's well made, and it's good enough to keep as a second guitar forever, even if you upgrade to a better model later.

7. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks so much guys! That really helped, i think imma get this one, If not, the Classic Vibe Range

8. Skyo

Skyo TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Scotland
    Looks like you've already made up your mind, and received some good advice. Just wanna welcome you to the forums and wish you fun with your new guitar when you get it :D

9. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks again guys!
    BTW: is a heavier guitar better, or does that not matter? 'Cause the one i was looking at i pretty light

10. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Yeah you May be right . Thanks alot!

11. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    It is a preference thing. More and more people in recent years prefer lighter guitars. Lots of "weight relief" on modern guitars. The bonus of a light guitar is it won't strain your shoulder after playing for long periods. Me I prefer heavier guitar but I think I'm in the minority. There is a tone debate here that I won't get in to

Dismalhead likes this.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I almost bought one of those a few years back. P90 pickups, light weight and a nice simple design - all big pluses for me. I'm not sure that the name on the headstock makes it any better than a Squier though. :)

13. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I learned to play guitar on an acoustic many years ago and had never so much as held an electric guitar until six years ago, when I decided to give it a try.
    Here's where I give my advice. Regardless of what guitar you buy, take it to a reputable guitar tech and have him do a proper setup on it.
    Knowing nothing about electric guitars, I bought a very cheap Fender Strat-in-a-box (made in China, guitar and amplifier) that was poorly made and seriously in need of a setup.
    I'm glad I didn't let that experience put me off of electric guitars altogether, but, to this day I can't love a Stratocaster.

Sean_D and Milspec like this.

14. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    The Modern Player is made in China.

nicod98 likes this.

15. starsgang

starsgang TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fender makes Fender-branded guitars in China? What other ones are built there?

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    This is what I learned on:
    AirlineGuitar[1].jpg
    So everything else is up-hill

17. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    What is a « beginner's guitar » ? A guitar that will be played for some weeks and discarded because it's a piece of junk ? Guitar is popular (and « sexy » ???). So you end up with a cheap instrument you want to get rid of (plenty on CL or the like)... and nobody wants it (there are so many for sale!!!). A nice « middle range » instrument might be a better choice... like the one you mention...

« Fender, not a Squire... », I think, is not really an argument since a lot of Fender models where switched from Squire line to Fender line … and back?!!!... and vice versa !!!... and made in Mexico, China, Indonesia ?...

But guitar is not an easy instrument to start with...

I'm not even sure that if you try a guitar in a shop, you will find the « right feel » that might make you want to WORK for years on THAT guitar. Try many !!!

I started with very basic guitars that made me work my shops hard and when I bought (far) better instruments, I knew that I could start to « really play ! ...». It's a life long story !

So, if you want to keep on playin' guitar, as so many threads on this site have proven, you will probably end up buying (many) more guitars for the years to come... because you're, at last , a guitar player !!!

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Hi @Emilinconfussion welcome to TDPRI!

I agree with a lot of what @DOC DYA says. Sometimes, for not a lot more, you get a lot more guitar (Squier CVs are much-loved; “Classic” and “ classic player” Mexican Fenders are really good…).

Before you buy, I would also encourage you to

a) think a bit longer about what
    kind of guitar you really want: is there a type of guitar you really love already (tele, strat, les paul…); what’s the music you want to play on it?. Thinking a bit more now might save you from being unsatisfied with your guitar too soon. Just to give you an example: the guitar you’re aiming for is VERY different from a classic telecaster (2 single coils, classic tele bridge with 3 saddles…). You could probably say that it’s not a tele except in body shape. So if you’re after the typical tele sound, you’re not making the right choice;

b) especially if it’s your first guitar, don’t buy on the internet. Go to a few shops (if possible with a knowledgeable friend) and try many guitars (don’t be ashamed if you’re not a good player yet: beginners have the same right as others to try new guitars!)

c) an electric guitar alone produces no sound. Your instrument, in reality, is guitar+amp, and the amp is as important as the guitar. So, save enough of your budget to buy an amp you can be happy with. There are many great cheap amps around (Mustangs, Boss Katana…). Even affordable tube amps. Even affordable vintage amps! Whatever you do: this part of the equation also deserves your full attention, and part of your budget.

d) If someone knowledgeable can help you, or if there is a store you trust, take a look at used gear. Great way to buy better gear at a smaller price, and lose less money if/when you want to sell.

Enjoy the quest… it’s really cool to be shopping around for your first e-guitar.

19. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    RadioFM79 makes a great point about the amp being important to the equation. Vintage low watt Fenders have appeared on many classic albums bc they sound rich cranked up. Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck, Clapton, ZZ top etc have recorded on tiny amps in the studio.

If you plan to gig out have the amp mic'd up through the P.A. and you're good to go. I used a 1969 drip edge Princeton last night this way for a 2 hour reggae gig.

They are easier to use than programmable solid state amps and will be useful as you progress for their great tone. Plus they appreciate in value over the years.

Hard sell for beginners to think about the long term though.

20. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    My advice is the same that I was given....go to the local guitar store and pick out an acoustic. Something in the $400 - $500 should get you a very nice one to start on.

It is like learning to drive. If you learn to drive a stick, you can drive anything. The acoustic doesn't require you to buy an amplifier and cable. It also allows you practice it anywhere around the place freely. it builds finger strength better, and most important to me was that you can't hide your mistakes behind distortion and effects. You play acoustic, you will hear your every error.....and that is good thing when learning.

Just my 2 cents worth.

wayloncash likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.