Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

is there such thing as a cheap, ultra simple loop pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jonitkin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jonitkin

jonitkin Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2007
    New York City
    i'm looking for something i can use for practice purposes only. all i want to do is record a bit of guitar and play over it. the boss looper seems nice, but i don't really want to pay for features i don't need.

any ideas? thanks!

2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    None that I know of. I have a Boss RC-2 and I'm very happy with it. I use it quite simply and it does the job very well. Unfortunatley, "paying for features you don't need" is something that is difficult to get away with on any digital technology (just think of PC operating systems...). Consider it as a free option on features that you may want to use further on down the line.

3. IronJoe

IronJoe Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    You could use your PC if you have some music software that plays loops.

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

5. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    If the price is an issue, you may find an old looper, since there are so many nowadays.

I've bought an old used Boomerang. Not too expensive. Works great. So simple to use. I love intuitive pieces of gear. Hate to read the manual. Hate to edit on multiple buttons... The Boomerang is really plug and play. When it's simple it's better for the music !

6. hecubus

hecubus Tele-Meister

Mar 8, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I bet Behringer will come out with an RC-2 clone soon.

7. mikespe

mikespe Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2007
    Western New York
    Digitech has a nice one but it might be more than you are looking for. I like it because it has USB so you can save your loops to your computer...and vice versa. Plus it has a compact flash card. It is similar to the Boss model though. It's $299. This will be my next purchase.

8. jonitkin

jonitkin Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2007
    New York City
    thanks guys. you confirmed my suspicions. i guess i had hope that danelectro had some kind of cheap-o loop pedal.

i guess i'll just keep an eye on craigslist.

9. mikespe

mikespe Tele-Afflicted

Feb 27, 2007
    Western New York
    Try eBay as well but I have been trying to get the Digitech one cheap and it's tough. One just went yesterday for $255 WITHOUT SHIPPING added. I have heard nothing but good things about the Digitech but like me, all those people wanted the extra bells and whistles.

If you are only wanting this for home use, have you thought about using your computer? You can get an inexpensive interface and use Audacity (free software) to record. Just another thought.

10. TMoxness

TMoxness Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2006
    NB, Canada
    I love the Boss DD-7 as a delay pedal, and as a bonus it's a very simple to use looper pedal.

A couple of the Digitech pedals are loopers as well. They're probably your cheapest bet.

11. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    I have an original Boomerang and if you can find one of them used that would be ideal. It might inevitably cost more than an RC2 but it it such an easy and beautiful tool to use that the little extra must surely be worth it

12. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2003
    SoCal
    You can get a used Boss RC-20 for $100-$120 if you shop around, the price has dropped on them quite a bit since the RC-20XL & RC-2 have come out.

13. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada

14. hazuinf

hazuinf TDPRI Member

This is a pretty safe bet. A friend of mine uses the Boss DD-7, and it's a great pedal. It's got a great array of usable delay, as well as a simple 40sec loop function, and you can pick one up for about £140, which is also a great price. Of course, you might complain that you're paying for the extra features, which are the delay features, but £140 is the cheapest I've seen for a near-as-new loop pedal.

15. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    I just went through a looper buying process.
    Seems like there is no 'cheap' looper, not new anyhow.

I ended up grabbing a Zoom G3, as it was the same price as many loopers, had many of the functions (that I wanted) and a whole sackful of goodies on top.

I have been more than pleasantly surprised with that other sackful of goodies.. wow ;)

16. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Colorado
    I'm seeing Boss RC-2 loopers in the $100 - $125 range on craigslist these days. I have one and love it, but like any looper, it takes practice before you can use it without thinking about it too much.

17. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    BestBuy has the RC-2 for $99. I was considering one, but had a bad feeling I was going to struggle trying to figure out how to use it. It just doesn't look like the simplest one I have seen, but the price isn't bad.

18. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca

19. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    This isn't an ultra-cheap option, but a Line 6 DL-4 is certainly an effective one. It has a powerful looper built-in as well as delays (obviously). Ha. Rather than getting a dedicated looper, you might as well combine that cost into a delay unit as well. You can pick them up for 100-150 bucks used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.