Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there not a way they could darken the Pau Ferro fretboards???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by E5RSY, May 16, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm sorry, I just can't warm up to its color on the Classic series instruments. :confused:

Scott

Dr Improbable likes this.

2. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I think then it looks like you are trying to pass it off as RW. I like PF personally.

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Most of the pics I see look like the PF boards are too dry and in need of oiling. And, I have no doubt that after that's done, they'll look like a nice chocolately rosewood board, instead of like a grungy, dry toothpick. At least that's been my experience with the guitars I've owned with lighter colored rosewood boards. Fender could mislead people and dye them, but I respect them for not doing that, in the same way that Taylor doesn't dye their Ebony boards that have some light streaks.

Sofaplayer, AAT65 and rze99 like this.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    PF is super nice. Try some mineral oil to darken, otherwise you could full on stain. But why? The natural streaking looks really nice, IMO. Once you get used to the PF you'll probably realize all the RW boards are boring and ugly, like me ;)

ianstrike, Boarsrock and DougM like this.

5. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I don't like the light-colored fret boards either. Kinda ugly in my view.

I'm sure that the wood itself, Pau Ferro, works just fine from a performance standpoint - it's the light-colored looks that some people (many people?) don't like.

Fretboards, for the most part, have been very dark to black on instruments for a very long time. Some of us are accustomed to that dark look and strongly prefer it.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

There are wood tints that you can use; you might try adding some tint to some mineral oil and applying it that way? I have no qualms at all in tinting a fret board darker. It's just a personal preference situation, that's all.

I don't consider that "trying to pass it off as RW" - all you're doing is trying to make it appeal more to you visually. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    rze99 likes this.

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Nothing wrong with Pau Ferro but I have seen a lot of streaky reddish fretboards on guitars that would look better with a darker boards, especially the vintage style instruments with classic colours.

Custom Shop and Fender dye some of their fretboards to make them look in keeping or as part of the ageing process. There's no reason not to do that with a PF board if you prefer the look

DHart likes this.

7. DHart

DHart Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Absolutely!

Last edited: May 17, 2018

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    rze99 likes this.

9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Sure there is! There's some different types of stains for this. I've seen it done with stain oil with good results. Fiebing's Oil Dye was the brand, but there's lots of others too. And non-oil stains as well.

10. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    I would just use some "restoration oil"... i.e. mineral oil with some stain inside... It can be easilly found in hardware stores and it can be "tuned" bay repeating the application with time.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Aww, you're not boring ;-)

Re: Fretboards. With the right colour body, the Pau Ferro can look quite nice. The few I've seen in shops though have all been drier than a witches tit.

5ofeight likes this.

12. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    My American Special (rosewood), has reddish, purple and brown streaks. I like it.

13. Boarsrock

Boarsrock TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Indiana
    I love my PF coloration

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.