Is there any point to reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, Apr 28, 2019.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Electric and with a band not so much. Playing on my own or acoustic or mandolin definitely. Any time I've done club gigs the sound guy adds reverb if needed.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

A lesson in using reverb live (in fact, it is a very key component of their sound):

SlightReturn and Sterence like this.
  3. Sterence

Sterence TDPRI Member

You know whats funny, is my band plays "I Need never get old" by the Night Sweats (what great band and song BTW). And that is one of the songs that I crank the reverb on. I try to even get some Drip out of it. And they are both playing PR's!

4. E5RSY

Yep. The guy on the right looks to be playing a Deluxe Reverb, though. Looks like they're both '68 Custom models. There is a picture somewhere out there of Nathaniel's old silverface PR and it does show a very healthy amount of reverb. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  5. E5RSY

Here it is. Looks like reverb on 5. Just enough to be heard well, not enough to dominate the sound of the guitar.

[​IMG]

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I put reverb on everything, live or at home. I almost never have it under 3, and often on 5. I miss it heavily on amps without it (like my Skylark).

E5RSY likes this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

A good natural reverb in the house is great to sound like your playing in a larger space than your 12x14 foot study. Adds some nice harmonics, especially if your playing on your own over a fairly quiet backing track. I like it for traditional and classic clean tones, not so much for rock music.

8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Reverb on all the time, usually a Flint. Amount varies depending on the venue and the song. Can't live without it.

mad dog likes this.
  9. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

It's not much different than built in tremolo. It's an optional effect. It has a knob to turn up or all the way off if you don't want it.

10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

For me an amp without reverb is like cookies without milk.

alnico357 likes this.
  11. SlightReturn

SlightReturn TDPRI Member

I used to never use reverb, I far preferred delay, mixed low. I’ve totally changed my tune lately and am loving a bit of drip. The Night Sweats, as shown above, make fantastic use of verb in a large band context. Jim Campilongo is, in my mind, the definitive user of effective reverb in a small combo/trio setting.

For a modern blues flavour, JD Simo’s new record is a) well worth buying and b) positively *dripping* with fantastic verb guitar. You’ll need to put a towel down in front of your speakers for this:

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Jam bands seem to still love heavy reverb these days. I gigged for years with non reverb amps and no reverb pedal. Just used the PA FX or sound guy to dial in the mix like everything else. Personally, unless it's one or two signature songs that requires strong reverb to pull it off, I get tired of hearing it all night at a regular bar gig.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Is there any point to reverb?”

Yes, it’s a better forum to sell guitars than places like Evil Bay

wtk0315 and jwp2 like this.
  14. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

OP, you play Chicago Blues. Here's Monster Mike Welch with the late, great Mike Ledbetter. For my money he is the best of the current generation of Chicago blues practitioners. To my ears, he's taking the tastiest bits of the style and carrying it forward, Chicago blues to the core yet refined. His touch, swing and phrasing are just awesome.

He uses a lot of reverb. You'd probably never guess it, but on his website he says he gets his sounds through pedals, custom Barber gain pedal into a Mooer yellow compressor into a Flint. You can see on some of the clips his nano board, sitting on top of the amp.

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I never turn it off.

Ian T likes this.
  16. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Very nice. The guitar sure is front and center in that mix, from start to finish. If nothing else, that makes the reverb more obvious. There's not a bunch of band "noise" covering it up.

17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I've never felt that reverb had much use in a live situation. It gets lost. I guess it might work if you were drenched, and had that sound mic'd, and running through the FOH. The only time I've been mic'd up were rawk situations where reverb wasn't really appropriate anyway.

Now, sitting around at home, and playing the clean, I get that!

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Bob, do you still have the Hot Fudge?

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

I would agree with you. When you're in your bedroom a minor twist of the knob makes a big differece, but accompanied with a bass, a drummer, and maybe even another guitarist all that tweaked modulation stuff is lost.

20. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

No. Not for a long time. But I am in the last stages of building a 5F11 Vibrolux, which is essentially the same circuit. (Well, the 5F11 is essentially the same as the 6G2 Princeton, and the current Hot Fudge is essentially that circuit. Earlier versions of the Hot Fudge had some significant differences: power supply choke and fixed bias phase inverter, to name two.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.