Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there a way to upload or attach a pdf file?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Geo, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I was trying to attach a wiring schematic in pdf format but when attached it just linked to my PC file
    and not actually attach as a file or display in the thread response. I have a photo hosting account but doubt it would accept a pdf file.

Way?

2. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I re-did the schematics to jpg, uploaded to TDPRI photo section then linked into a thread response.

Still curious if pdf files can be uploaded or if not possible.

3. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Did you try the "upload a file" option in the post submit section below the post editor? PDF files are accepted.

Large PDFs cannot be accommodated because hackers use files like that to upload malware.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Hi, I used that one and it attached, but when I click on it after posting the response it went straight into my actual pc folder files highlighted the file rather than open the file in the thread,. I going to try it here and see .....

Well I uploaded again and it did the same thing so I deleted it as don't need to give access to my computer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

5. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Send me a link to a post where you've done this. I took a look at your posts and I see that you've tried to embed media pages from your Media Gallery. Which will be a link - because you're embedding a page, not an image.

But I didn't see where you tried to upload a PDF.

Thanks

PS. I can see your edits in the post above, but still see no attempts to post a pdf.

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I deleted the pdf upload after posting above and testing to see if it would actually open in the post.
    It just went to my computer and the folder the file was in when I clicked on the uploaded image. Spooky actually

7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN

8. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    We'll I had seen that post previously - and you are not picking up the correct link from the media gallery. You are post a "page" link not a "jpg" link.

Here's the link you posted:

[IMG]http://www.tdpri.com/media/tele-concentric-pots-4-way-switch.38916/[/IMG]
    [URL]http://www.tdpri.com/media/tele-concentric-pots-4-way-switch.38916/[/URL]

Here's what the image URL should look like:
    [IMG]http://www.tdpri.com/media/tele-concentric-pots-4-way-switch.38916/full[/IMG]

Also, the only reason you could see a file on your computer from what you no doubt posted as a PDF link was because it was on your computer. There is absolutely no way any local path from your computer could be posted into a thread and give others access to your computer hard drive.

Here's that URL I posted above only permitted to display the image rather than the URL text.

[​IMG]

Next time pick up the URL from the "Share BB Code:" option.

Better yet - just drag and drop the jpg into your post from your computer desktop and don't bother with uploading it to your Media Gallery.

9. TDPRI

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I downloaded your image - opened it in Photoshop - saved it as a PDF and attached it here with the "Upload a File" button. It picked up the image from my computer desktop and uploaded it to the TDPRI server. So, what you see here is a PDF from my computer that is showing to other users via our server - not from my computer.

When you click on the icon for the PDF it downloads to your computer and then you view it there on your computer.

It does not open a connection between your computer and every other member that clicks on the PDF download button.

Attached Files:

10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Hey thank you very much for the help! I understand now how that function works and to not be alarmed when I view.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.