Is there a place for road worn guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wild Willy, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

i was going thru the different sections and didnt see one. I know a lot of people don’t care for the finish. So I wanted to know if there was a separate section for these guitars?

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think so, but I want to express my sympathy. I am not especially for or against relic’d guitars myself, but I can’t stand the fact that every time someone has a question, comment or appreciation to express about relic’d guitars, dozens of members feel the URGE to let the world know how they hate relic’d guitars, how fake they think they look, how the job was badly done …… Jeeeeeeeeeeez! :confused:

So yeah, maybe opening a safe haven for relic lovers where gratuitous disparaging comments are banned and reported if made would be a nice idea ;)

dlew919, Bigpernz, LocoTex and 3 others like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I happen to like relic'ed guitars if they're well done. This is one of my screensavers (sighs lustily):

spitfire-telecaster-tortoiseshell-tortoise-shell-pickguard.jpg

santiago53, Dan R, jvin248 and 3 others like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

What are road worn guitars?
    Guitars that are worn from long use on the road?
    Or a particular Fender series?
    Isn't the series called roadworn?

I have what was listed as a Fender Roadworn Strat body, but I think it might actually be a benchworn MIM Strat body.
    Benchworn being artificially worn on the workbench.

If you mean relic'd guitars, well IDK if we have a relic subforum either.
    Or would that be sub forum?
    How about a benchworn subforum?
    Or a bench worn sub forum?

The Bad Dog Cafe is always a good forum to discuss unmusical stuff like guitar finishes!

LOSTVENTURE likes this.
  5. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

Gorgeous guitar! I don’t want to start the next hate or love thread. I’m new and done a search but just found for sell and post. Didn’t know if they had such a place. I’m very happy with my Tele. I’ve been a gibby guy for years. I hate to say it but, I hate strats. Just never could bond. Teles where like an affair for me lol. But now I’m divorced and can finally speak her name out loud. So yeah it would be great for relic lovers have a place to hand out.

6. telemnemonics

A guitar from the Roadworn series would be factory worn.
    A CS relic would be CS worn.
    An MJT relic would be paint shop worn.
    Or paint shopworn.
    Paintshopworn?

How about all the hobby relic jobs.
    Hobbyworn?

I guess if we don't have a relic subforum it might be worth setting one up.
    Maybe have on of those membership blocking things to keep the bots out, but instead of bots it would prevent anyone who doesn't like relic finishes from posting that they don't like them.

We get enough guitar straight into the amp purists posting in the stomp box.

Time to segregate!

I'm gonna slink back to the curmudgeon thread now...

PlainAllman likes this.
  7. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

Sorry I’m in a car trying to post on an iPhone which auto corrects the crap out of me. New phone. Mods please delete this thread as I think it will go south. I just ask a simple question and didn’t want a hate thread. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have cause

Dan R likes this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My 2 cents....I don't think it's turning into a hate thread. As I look at it your question needs clarifying, that's all....

Are you talking about Fender Road Worn? If so, you could start an Owners Club thread http://www.tdpri.com/forums/guitar-owners-clubs.57/

Are you talking about rekic'd guitar's in general? If so, again, an Owners Club thread might actually be a good way to consolidate and gather people that enjoy that look.

If you are looking for 'how to', a thread under Finely Finished (about finishes) may be the best option. http://www.tdpri.com/forums/finely-finished.47/

9. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

Nope just talking Fender’s Roadworn series’s of guitar. But now you mention it I know that fender has some very high dollar relic guitars. Forgive me I don’t know what models they make. But I do know people love or hate them. I was just trying to see if the forum has a place for these.I couldn’t find it. I looked thru different boards here and had no luck.i really don’t want to cause a hate thread. That sucks and it’s a waste of time. I love my guitar. I’m not trying to fool people. We’ve all seen the bashing and just want to advoid the whole deal.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

just got my first fender in a while, MIM Jimmy Vaughn..guy half attempted to do something to it.. love it..the neck is sanded a lil, some paint scuffed..soon as i picked it up. knew it felt right. has tex mex pups & rivals any Am Strat i have owned. I think if they sound great , dont know if i care anymore even what they look like

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When relics are done right, they're a thing of beauty.

When they're done badly it makes me want to punch something.

- D

bftfender likes this.
  12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I do not own one, but I have no trouble with those who do. I tend to keep my instruments in pretty good shape.

13. telemnemonics

Now that you mention it we have an ongoing debate between iphone and android users.
    Maybe we need a subforum for that too?

Don't worry too much, we will argue no matter how politely your thread topics may be stated.

Also, threads that go south sell ad space!
    Nobody gets excited about threads where the OP gets a simple answer and goes on about life...

Mosstone and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Oh you're one of THOSE guys!

All kept in their cases with individual polishing cloths laid over the strings?

15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I always thought Roadworn ment that you tie the guitar to the rear bumper of your car and drive along gravel road for 10-20 kilometers?

Actually, my bandmate has MIM Roadworn Tele with SD mini humbucker on the neck. I like it a lot.

16. Wild Willy

Wild Willy TDPRI Member

To be honest I wouldn’t have a cell phone if it wasnt for my kids. 1 went north the other south. And they demanded I get a cell phone. I view them as a tracking device period. Everybody wants to know where your at. But being so far away it gives me the chance to keep up with them. As far as the guitar goes I’m fine with what I have. As for the forum I’m new and just trying to find a place to fit in. I’m a big boy and don’t get my feelings hurt. I don’t try and push my ideals or opinions on others. I don’t really argue or fuse to my wife’s disliking but oh well. But for the guitar I really dig pics of other and info about them. To see what others do and try. I have lost everything I own and am trying to rebuild. It sucks I don’t recommend it. So my first new guitar is the Fender 50’s roadworn in blonde. I went to the owners board and found the like wise group. Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction.

telemnemonics and JustABluesGuy like this.
  17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I think the suggestion given above is a very valid one. Look for a “road worn tele” owner club and if there’s none, open a thread. If you want to see how people do that go on any number of other owner clubs. Luckily enough, the TDPRI inhabitants are (as a rule) civil enough not to crash the party if they dislike the guitar, amp or pedal in question.

PS: turns out there IS a massive “road worn 50s tele” club on the TDPRI: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/50s-road-worn-tele-club.142597/

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

So I’m still confused. Is “roadworn” a specific line of instruments or just a generic term with a meaning similar to reliced?

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A skip?

20. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.