Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there a neat pedalboard?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tonyguitargoat, Feb 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tonyguitargoat

tonyguitargoat Tele-Meister

Sep 3, 2003
    I'm assembling a small basic pedal board - tuner (which incorporates lots of power outputs), overdrive, chorus, delay, and room for possibly one more. The inputs and outputs don't quite line up as the pedals are different brands, but where possible I'd like to link the pedals with 'couplers' (double-ended straight or offset jacks) to save space.
    Some pedals have their power inputs at the top, some at the side.
    Most of the boards I've seen look a mess of cables, although I see Nux now do one with a bottom, so I suppose the cables run inside?
    Is there a neat way to do this? Thanks.

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Just depends on the board. I use a pedal train nano, but put a bit of a steeper angle on it which let me run my power supply on the bottom with double sided tape. The top is all Velcro and all cables are organized with small neat zip ties and tucked under the board when I can. I try to keep pedals from the same brand to keep it simple. I like top loaded pedals like the way huge stuff so the pedals can all be shoulder to shoulder. But I'm not super picky about my pedals as long as they do what I need them to, I can see where people who have a mix of pedals could run into issues with cable management

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    those couplers can potentially damage jacks so i don't use them. if you look closely, most pedal boxes have sides that are slightly sloped, not perfectly perpendicular with the ground. so when you have two pedals coupled together, that coupler is causing a slight amount of stress. add to that the slightly depression a pedal makes when it gets stepped on in relation to whatever its coupled with, and that could cause issues over time.

i just use pedaltrains but since i don't like having a mess at my feet i limit myself with small boards. my most commonly played is a pedal train nano which allows 4 pedals in a straight line. i have some pancake patch cables to keep things out of the way and neat, and use a 1-spot and tidy everything underneath with black zip ties. i have a bigger board a pedal train jr with a similar approach but theres more going on there. i use pedals with all kinds of sizes and jack placements. i get annoyed if my board isn't somewhat neat and simple looking.

they make a longer nano called a Nano plus that can fit around 5 pedals, maybe 6 depending on size. maybe you should look into that one.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Get a pedalboard like a pedaltrain, or a t-rex. Then, if you can, get leads with pancake ends...

I can't get it neat, more ... neater than it was...

5. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    I use a Pedal Train Metro16. Maybe slightly larger than what you need, but plenty of space. I think my setup looks neat.
    Image1518611747.565677.jpg

4pickupguy and davidchagrin like this.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    All depends how big.
    I love my BCB60, but, I am minimalist with small foot print.

Crafty Fox likes this.

7. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    Neat is very possible, I wouldn't have it any other way, OCD ya know!!!

Pedalboard 20180212.jpg

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Clever hiding all the cables in the Altoids tin! That is possibly the cleanest board I have ever seen. Very nice board with some nice stuff on it. I have a Temple Audio board like that and it's an absolute mess right now. When the other half of my power supply arrives, all the cables are going back down below where they belong.

tomtama likes this.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I use a basic cheap Amazon pedalboard, but the top is angled enough to put the power supply underneath. It's got three panels with big gaps in between. I use these really skinny and bendable cables, which are kind of expensive but it's a one time cost for a bunch of them. They take up less space than any couplers I've ever tried. And I use dual-lock tape instead of basic velcro because it's much stronger and ends up being neater. And I stash the power and excess patch cable under the board, with zip ties to hold it all in place. It's pretty neat, everything was pretty cheap except the cables, but they're not that much more than other decent cables...

[​IMG]IMG-0295-2 by Ray, on Flickr

These are the cables - I've found them at Sweetwater and on Amazon:

http://ebssweden.com/content2/ebs-flat-patch-cables-the-ultimate-space-saver/

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    You can fit 6 standard sized pedals on a Pedaltrain Nano+ (18"). Use the pancake patch cables and stuff the extra cable down into the gap. You might have to jack up the back to fit your power supply under it, like TimothyC mentioned.

[​IMG]

11. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Yes. Image1518620316.290489.jpg
    IMG_3667.JPG

Churchjack, minor9, DaveKS and 8 others like this.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Try the Ikea Pedal Board DIY systems and variants.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is always a fun one to see, I heard it's his mini board. It is very neatly wired up though.
    [​IMG]

minor9, nojazzhere, 24 track and 3 others like this.

13. Neon Soul

Neon Soul TDPRI Member

May 4, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Do not use straight couplers. They put undue pressure on the jacks, even on pedals of equal height, and will damage your jacks.

If any of your pedals have board mounted jacks it'll be even worse.

Minimalist518 likes this.

14. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Mine is fairly neat. I make my own cables with George L’s. Mounted pedal power underneath and run all the cables underneath. IMG_1228.JPG

15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    You guys are neat.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It can look even cooler if you spray paint all your pedals a single color. I’ve not done it but I’ve seen it and it looks super clean. A lot of the visual clutter is all those clashing logos and graphics. That’s one reason why using a single brand can look quite tidy, in addition to consistent size and jack placement.

17. Flying Teapot

Flying Teapot TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Derby, England.
    I’ve got to admit I like a few untidy cables as long as they don’t get in the way of anything. A neat pedalboard doesn’t scream rock n roll at you does it? Great thread though, I’m going to swap my couplers for low profile patch leads after reading these comments.

18. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Oh Well? it works!
    IMG_20170504_203702378.jpg

WireLine and Mistercharlie like this.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    My two. I'm a little OCD about pedalboard neatness these days. I'm sure there's neater, but happy with these 2. The key for me is the patch cables. Cut to exact lengths, pancake jacks.

1518789091222.jpg 1518789113259.jpg

20. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    [​IMG]

Just don't look under the deck...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.