Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there a guitar you secretly lust after

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    pretty keen on the vagina guitars

3fngrs likes this.
  2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I found one when I was about 15 at a yard sale with a busted headstock, hollow steel or aluminum body...I'm not sure wich?

Anyway, I bought it for $100 and then sold it later, for $300 not knowing what it was or even who made it.

I've regretted it ever since, and the guy who bought it probably got a good chuckle out of screwing a kid.

3fngrs likes this.
  3. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Fountain City, Wi
    A Gretsch Reverend Horton Heat

Mstele97 and 3fngrs like this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I guess there is, ya caught me.

I've been a Takamine nut for a long time, all my acoustics are Taks, and one of my electrics. In 2005 they made a limited-edition, OM-sized acoustic guitar, the EF75, all-solid with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, stealth electronics, ebony board with a wide nut, and beautiful wood and abalone trim and binding.

All the run had been bought up by the time I heard about them. No matter, I've never had the money for one anyway. Used ones, when they come up for sale, go quickly, and for around $4,000, sometimes higher. Too much for me, unless I've collected on a big lottery ticket just before I see one for sale, so I doubt I'll ever actually buy one.

They've recently come out with a similar offering in regular production, of course with East Indian Rosewood and I think a bit less bling, still more than $3,000. I doubt I'll ever buy one of those either, because my slightly-scruffy '05 LTD--made of different woods, with different electronics--scratches the OM itch for me well enough, and is a very fine build in its own right, $800 from Guitar Center's used-gear site.

3fngrs likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Wanting to, and being able to might not be one and the same.

3fngrs likes this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

An early model ES335, I would love to have one. Plus an old Polytone amp.

What's the model that Frank Vignola plays? That would be cool too.

Totally attainable would be a John Scofield Ibanez.

The former(ES335), I'll have to probably win the lottery. But, that's not possible unless I buy a ticket.o_O

The latter(JS Ibanez) is going to involve a little saving up and a trade or two. It'll happen.

brookdalebill and 3fngrs like this.
  7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Well, that's not really the point I was making but yeah. Sigh.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    secretly lust. Well, what's the point of that? We're only talking about guitars, after all.

Whatever it might be, it's been a changing viewpoint for me over the years.

Ricky 12-string? Yeah, that probably fits the program. Seemed to have wanted one, or at least the idea of one, for a long time. But how often do I play a 12-string? Not so often, really. I have a good buddy who has a 60's era 12-string Ricky, ooh, so delicious looking. Never leaves it's case. Web-borrowed photo of another example follows:

1200px-1967_Rickenbacker_360-12_12_string_electric_guitar_owned_and_photographed_by_Greg_Field.jpg

Also, something, something in the Gibson ES line. Not a 330's series guy; oh, I've played a few and liked 'em fine. Just don't like the Mickey Mouse ears enough to part with that kind of cash. I have hankered for either the ES-175 or ES-275 or any of the single cut styles and just can't seem to find the right formula. Came close to a real deal ES-175, but at the time, I was funding two kids through university. Well, see, you gonna have to skip a few semesters, 'cuz daddy got a guitar jones. yeah, no. Plus, what color, what burst, what pickups? Can I find something that says gluttony and austerity at the same time? Kinda lean towards a double p-90 set up , something like this:

_1650821.jpg

Had plenty lust for any number of acoustics, but just last year ended up with a slope shouldered dread, the Gibson Advanced Jumbo, so not much lust on that side for the moment.

Yeah, a 50's era tele - that'd be nice. Not much jones for the LP's, but hey, how about I borrow yours?

9. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Gibson Barney Kessel. A guitar that really doesn't fit into what I do, in so far as a guitar can do that, but I still would like one.

I did have an opportunity at one that had been refinished by a friend, for a really great deal. I passed, and still kick myself now and again.

Gibson Barney Kessel 2 guitarz.jpg

Skamania, 3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    One of those Martin D-45 Authentics would float my boat

3fngrs likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    These have popped up a few times in this thread and they are indeed really cool.
    I have a pretty nice old MIJ Ventura copy out in the garage that needs to be rewired and some binding repair on the headstock.
    I almost sold it to a girl who plays Jazz, it should be played but I hate wiring hollowbodies. Besides, only a Gibson is good enough.

kookaburra likes this.
  12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I'll also add that I would really like a custom shop Jackson RR.... of the single HB/ 1 vol and OFR variety...

Only reason I won't do it, is because obviously a custom shop Jackson is expensive and I cant play the thing sitting down comfortably.

3fngrs likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Oh, a natural 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom reissue would be groovy, too,

3fngrs and kookaburra like this.
  14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Forgot about this one. You are correct!

3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The Sadowsky Jim Hall model is a pretty durn classy jazz box. No need for bling.

[​IMG]

16. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    I don't really need any of these - not particularly suited to my style of play.

Doesn't have to be exact Allen Collins model, but a korina Explorer with tremolo. I don't actually care if it's a Gibson; some of the very early Ibanez korina destroyers were lovely.

[​IMG]

Or the Ibanez "Korina Trio"
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Ibanez, I've always liked the Steve Miller Artist lineup. Don't care for the fuzzy knobs on this one, but otherwise very nice.

[​IMG]

Skamania, 3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Nothing I lust after, secretly, but I really like the look and sound of the Yamaha Revstar 502T; I just don't need another solid body guitar with a pair of P90s fitted.

It is lovely, though.....:rolleyes:

3fngrs likes this.
  18. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Artist Series Ibanez guitars are nice. I certainly don't need one but...

... and a Firebird would be cool. An Epiphone Bonamassa model maybe. I'd probably need an apartment with larger rooms, to be able to store and play it at home.....

firebird.jpg

19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    Going back to this from page 2 - the guitar is now on Reverb, with a cheaper price... but I'm still resisting!!! :D

https://reverb.com/item/18891395-gibson-les-paul-classic-premium-plus-1995-heritage-cherry-sunburst

Skamania and 3fngrs like this.
  20. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    This is my favourite Tele pickguard style. Did it originate on the Merle Haggard model?

3fngrs and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.