Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there a guitar you secretly lust after

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    Boy how much was that back in 57?

muudcat and 3fngrs like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Is that all steel hollow body, like a Silver Surfer guitar,, looks so Sweet!

3fngrs likes this.
  3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I secretly lust after 80% of the guitars out there.

*crap*

It's not a secret anymore!

:eek:

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I don't know exactly..I had just paid $600 for a Guild Jazz box (top of the line model) and a few weeks later I met a guy with the Falcon..He let me play it for an entire set and I was blown away with it's sound, playability, and looks..
    But it took me 2 years to pay off the Guild and by then I was sold on Fenders..
    But I'd guess the Falcon would have priced about the same as the Guild..

tintag27 and 3fngrs like this.
  5. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    3fngrs likes this.
  6. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
  7. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Someplace called Ohio
    Well, I bought the first guitar I've acquired in 15 years last week, so I don't really buy many guitars at all, but I often times feel like if I had the money to buy them and the space to put them in my house, I probably wouldn't buy too many guitars are that over, say a couple thousand bucks. I remember there was a phase back in the 90's (maybe they're still doing it), where the Fender Custom Shop was putting out these guitars that kinda looked like they were meant more for looking at than playing. They were putting out guitars wtih custom finishes, or super complex inlay work, etc. I remember there was something they called The Phoenix Strat, another one had Marilyn Monroe's picture on it, there was a Disney themed one that was done as a one off for some sort of anniversary giveaway that Disney did.

I see those guitars, and I think "What would I do if I owned it?". The ones with the complicated fingerboard inlays, like the Phoenix Strat, you can't tell what fret you're at (I remember George Harrison saying the same thing about a custom resonator guitar that was made for him, the luthier did all this inlay stuff ont he fingerboard, and he said it looked nice but he had to put gaffer's tape over it so he could tell what fret he was at). And some of them you feel like if you were to play and say scratch it, or heaven forbid drop it, it's like "Well, that's 10 grand I just flushed down the toilet".

Things like PRS and other high end luthiers are the same way. These uber expensive guitars that feel to me like the guitar version of a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, i.e. something that's more for showing off than actually playing.

If I was gonna spend a lot of money on a guitar (if I had the money to spend, comfortably,of course) , I might something like a Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster, or some of the other Gibson hollowbodies or maybe an old mandolin or banjo or two, some of the old Gretsches, or an old Martin. On the Gibson front, 60's era SG's interest me too, so there's a few SG Standards and/or Customs I might be willing spend the money on.

I'm not sure what one would pay for a 70's or early 80's BC Rich or Dean guitar, but I might be inclined to spend some money in that direction, as well.

But I'm kinda past the point where I'm interested in owning a whole roomful of late 50's Les Pauls or pre-CBS Fenders, as some people have done. I was impressed with the photos I used to see in Guitar Player and Guitar World, where they'd show someone's collection, and they'd have an early 60's Strat in every single colour they were offered in, all lined up together, like some sort of family reunion photo. I still think it looks cool when I see stuff like that, but let someone else be the custodian of those things.

3fngrs likes this.
  8. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Someplace called Ohio
    knockeduptele, 3fngrs and 8barlouie like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'd just leave her alone. I would be arrested before too long anyway for having too much guitar for my talent or lack there of.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    3fngrs and scrapyardblue like this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    One day I'll find a PRS with a 5 way selector knob that's not too beat and not too expensive. Those are 5 sounds I like for vocal accompaniment. One day.

3fngrs likes this.
  11. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Indiana
    Plus, TD, you walk around Bakerspatch with that thing and folks are going to expect something pretty impressive (I'm originally from Bako).....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    3fngrs and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It ain't really made for playing in dives with four barstools and a booth!

3fngrs likes this.
  13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Probably one of these.

631C27DE-F53A-45E2-94E3-5CCDC5450D4F.jpeg

14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I don’t lust after the one you were playing at CD’s anymore. That is a really nice guitar. Maybe an OM-18 Authentic.

3fngrs likes this.
  15. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    Pete Anderson’s Custom Shop Esquire. I’d love to own this..

Attached Files:

3fngrs, Random1643 and Ben-Zion like this.
  16. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    3fngrs likes this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    ES-330 an early one where the neck meets the body at the 19th. fret. In a Sienna Sunburst.

3fngrs likes this.
  18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2017
    Oregon
    I am a fan of old Ibanez Artist series. I hadn't touched one in 25 years until a guy shows up to my stage with one a couple weeks ago. We chat, he hands it to me, and I was shocked it literally weighed double my Tele. So...no Artist for me. I really like the one Bob Weir played in the late 70's, which is probably where this is rooted.

3fngrs and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Now TD, I thought you were past alla this foolishness anymore!

3fngrs and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.