Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is there a good wristwatch forum...or maybe you can help?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drjordan, Sep 12, 2007.

1. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2006
    Oxford, GA
    I'm looking at buying a new wristwatch. But there are so many brands that I can't see straight.

I'm looking to spend $200-$300 for an "everyday" watch. I have dress watches, a stop watch, and a Swiss dive watch.

It seems that some have Swiss parts, making a Swiss movement and are Swiss made; some have Swiss parts for a Japanese movement; and some have Japanese parts for a Japanese movement. I'm not sure what it all means. Are there big differences between Seiko, Citizen, and Bulova? How's Skagen (which is what I usually wear now)? I have a Seiko outlet near me that has some really good prices, so that's a plus.

Where can I go to get help from people who won't tell me to save up until I have $4000 for a Rolex?

Thanks

2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    I can't help you, I wear a perfectly functional watch that I bought at WalMart for under ten bucks!

Cheers, Tim

3. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Man, I wish I had $200 for a watch.

Mine was £20 ($40) from Argos and it's a "Lorus" with two hands, plus the day and date in a little window.

If I wanted to dive, I could go down to 100m before becoming unable to tell the time.

4. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    sounds like you've got your formal and sport watches covered. I'd go to walmart and pick up a nice timex for under $30.

5. elmerbumpkin

elmerbumpkin Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2006
    A-TX
    I have a couple of Festina's that I like. They are in your price range. I have one that winds itself, and one of the titanium ones.

6. bassocaster

bassocaster Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2007
    INDIANA
    My 2 pennies! Sell all of the watches, add the $200-$300 that you were planning to spend and buy another TELECASTER!

7. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    well....I collect watches. I own quite a few...mostly Japanese with a couple of Swiss...had my East German Rulha on last night...it has zero...thats none...jewels, and dang that thing keeps great time. Most of mine are older... the oldest I can date is 1935-ish...an old Seiko that still works great, I just have to remember to wind it every couple of hours. I l;ove ole watches...must have close to 40 or 50 now...Seikos, Citizens...even the old Orients can be very good. There are a LOT of fanatical watch collectors in Japan and they pay big money for certain models...I own a Seiko Business Bell...there are a lot of Bell Matics, but very few Business Bells that I`ve seen...no need for a travel alarm when I bring it on a trip.
    The two Swiss I have are Rolex...no, wait...no gold or diamonds on it...just stainless steel...but I like my Breitling better...great watch...I`m sure it`s gonna outlast me by a long time.
    I have a couple of 1950s Bulova automatics too...really cool, and keep time very very well. Most were purchased on the Japanese web and I got to know a local watchmaker and he`s given me some nice deals on a few. Collecting watches is almost as addictive as collecting guitars.

8. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    oh yeah...careful with watch forums...I joined a couple a while back and I keep getting junk mail from them even though I`ve not posted there for over a year.

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    my two cents: my girlfriend gave me a self-winding Seiko a few years back and it's my favorite work/dress watch now. Why? Because it's nice-looking, keeps perfect time, and you never ever have to replace the batteries -- doesn't have any. It's a little big / thick but that doesn't bother me. The only real problem is that if I don't wear it for a couple of days (about two and a half) it winds down & I have to reset it.

Of course, you can now buy a self-winding watch-winder, sits on your dresser & rotates your self-winding watch so it winds itself. I love this country.

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Mar 25, 2006
    I can appreciate liking good watches, and fine craftsmaship. But I have a $32 Timex. I haven't worn a watch in so long, the battery went dead though.

If I was going to buy a good watch, I'd probably look for a good pocket watch personally.

11. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    I have a Citizen 'Eco Drive' watch. The face doubles as a soler panel so it never needs batteries. The one I have is a very robust model, just time and date. Although Citizen do hundreds of models. I would recommend an 'Eco Drive' watch. I wanted a watch that would last so I did a lot of research. http://www.citizenwatch.com/

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I've just never wanted the time strapped to my wrist.

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.

13. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a Seiko 5 self-winding watch with a beautiful sky-blue dial.
    Ran me around $50, including shipping.
    If you wear it while you practice....it will stay wound forever!

Steve

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Seiko is a very good manufacturer, and it does all components in house. Even Vacheron, Omega, Rolex, etc. don't do that.

The Seiko 7S26 quartz movement is excellent, by anyone's standards.

I have not had good luck with Timex beaters lately, it seems the ones in past years were better.

Another thing that you may consider is Orvis. It's an overpriced dogbed store with a stuffy image, but it has an unbeatable warranty/return/exchange policy.

15. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2006
    Oxford, GA
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm about 5 minutes from the Seiko outlet as I type this. I'm going to see what they have; otherwise, I found several watches on overstock.com that I like. One's an ESQ chronograph with either a white or grey face, there's 2 Wegner chronographs, and the front runner is an Accutron chronograph. It's one of the only ones I've found that is Swiss made with a sapphire crystal that's in my price range. I also like a Seiko 5 automatic, but it's $150...not $50 like 6942's.

I can't say how many times I've asked various watch/jewelry store sales people to explain the difference between popular brands at different prices (e.g. Pulsar, Fossil, Seiko, Citizen, etc.) and only one has been able to be remotely helpful. So I really do appreciate all your suggestions.

16. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    drjordan:

Got two new Seiko 5's for $50 each from a Seiko dealer (w/warranty) on e-bay.
    Check the listings on e-bay CAREFULLY.
    If the seller is selling watches new, WITHOUT warranty, it's probably GRAY MARKET (best to avoid).
    There are other automatic watches that are of decent quality.
    Citizen makes a nice automatic watch, on par with the Seiko 5, for the same price.
    Orient (Japan) also makes good automatic watches....and are less expensive than Citizen or Seiko.

Steve

17. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2003

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.