Is there a brand (of anything) that you're very loyal to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

I used to be a levi's guy, but I switched to some Paki brand that has lyrca in them (3%)
    man they are comfortable. Urban Star is the brand.. Costco carries them some times.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I too once loved Levis. It's disappointing that with Levis--and nearly all other brands--it's VERY difficult to find 100% cotton jeans anymore. Nearly all of them have that spandex crap that makes them no longer blue jeans (to me).

I've thought about trying these guys:

https://dearborndenim.us/collections/men

...but haven't yet ordered any. Anyone with experience with them?

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

- Fender

4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Honda/Acura
    Propet footwear

5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Just curious. Have Levi's actually gone down? Or are we just more aware of quality control things and sizing issues than we were when we were teens (when we couldn't give a damn)?

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I haven't heard of them, but I'm willing to give them a shot. Their prices are pretty much in line with an early 1990s levis pair of jeans that were $30 back then.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I don't know if they've fixed their issues, but once they went overseas, it was hard to find 550s locally and the feel of the jeans changed a lot. The sizes were completely inconsistent.

Prior to that, I could order 32 waist jeans year after year from levis, and I had one pair in 10 years that was a little tight. When their manufacturing and probably material supply was a lot more specific (and costly, I'm sure), they were much more consistent in size.

P Thought and GGardner like this.
  8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Kroger
    Bic
    Timberland
    Tanqueray

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

hard to say, Levis comes in so many flavors now you need a degree in haberdashery just to figure out what to try on. My understanding is they are no longer american made, so no reason for loyalty on that basis, once that was gone, there is a whole world of different types of jeans available. So I just started buying different kinds until I found some I liked.

Early levis were canvas, back in the gold rush. Canvas was made from hemp, canvas is a dutch play on cannabis(hemp) which wouldn't rot in the sea air. so Canvas sails and hemp rope on ships. Obviously canvas would last much longer than cotton for jeans.

wonder if anybody does a hemp/cotton or hemp/bamboo blend fabric for jeans?
    the december 2018 farm act allows american farmers to grow hemp (again) so we might see hemp prices go down once production goes up and more hemp clothing on the market.

GGardner likes this.
  10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good question.

For me, it's a combination of things--quality, value, and consistency. With the Allen Edmonds shoes I mentioned in my first post, I like the way they look, feel and fit. Though the price is higher than what you may pay at DSW for discounted Cole Haans, Johnston & Murphy etc... The AE's are higher quality with leather soles that can be re-crafted for $125. They come back like a brand new shoe, thus extending the value of the initial purchase of, say, $200**. If I end up spending $325 on a pair of shoes that are nearly like new 8-10 years later... that's a win in my book.

They hold up better and look nicer to me. So I'm willing to spend more for them, especially since it really doesn't even end up being that much more.

I also like the fact they're not made in China like almost everything else in the world, and in fact are made in the USA.

**I only buy them on close-out and/or on clearance. Most of their shoes are generally priced around $425, which is just too much for me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  11. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Quality has most definitely declined. They are now made in at least a half dozen different countries and the sizing couldn’t be any more inconsistent. The only ones I will buy at this point are made in Mexico or Lesotho. They seem to be somewhat consistent but would never buy without trying on first. Someone else mentioned the ones with spandex in them. I hate those,they just don’t feel right to me.

12. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

Music Related - Fender
    Gibson
    Analogman
    Taylor

Firearms - Glock
    Sig Sauer

Shoes - Danner
    Red Wing

Socks - Thorlos
    Darn Tough

Hats - Tilley

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Cars/SUV-Honda & Toyota
    Strings-D'Addario
    Picks-Dunlop
    Cables-Lava
    Jeans- (if I buy 'em- Levi, if she buys 'em- Lucky)
    Shoes: (Paying a little more for solid brands saves money in the long run. Cheap shoes are expensive in the long run.)
    -Dress Shoes- +1 on Allen Edmonds for dress (switched from Cole Haan once CH quality dropped).
    -Work Boots-Chippewa
    -Running Shoes-Saucony, Brooks, ASICS
    Food:
    -Chaboni Yogurt
    -Classic Coke (...the one with all of the sugar!!)

14. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 TDPRI Member

As a former journalist, I think I’m fairly immune to many kinds of advertising. I’m hard to reach lol

My loyalty to Ford goes back to my parents/childhood. And I’m quite fond of the Mustang in particular. Side note: I’m also a Jeep guy.

With Fender, it goes back to what my first teacher played through (SF twin) and falling in love with that particular sound and reverb.

With New Balance, I tried them in the army. I’ve never been crazy about Nike’s (I have very wide feet), and the NB shoes just felt more made for me than any sneak I’d ever tried.

The closest out of the stuff I listed being driven by advertising would be Ben and Jerry’s, and my first try was years after seeing my first ads. And to me it’s the best commercially available ice cream I’ve ever tried. Not even close.

Elijah Craig I found on my own. Having just moved to Louisville, I was trying as many different bourbons as I could, and the Craig ended up being the perfect balance of price and quality. It’s probably comparable to Makers Mark in that regard, but I like that it’s a quirkier, “funkier” brand.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender
    Harley-Davidson
    Jeep
    Levi's
    Apple

I try to go for quality and USA brands.

16. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Milwaukee (sawsall)
    Makita
    Stabila levels
    Keen shoes
    Red Wing boots
    Ford Trucks
    Johnsonville Brats/Summer Sausage

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I am loyal to those who are loyal to me. Haven't come across any brands that do that.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

The OP had lines about being “blindly loyal” and being loyal “to the point you never (or almost never) stray”. So, I guess I need to qualify why I’m loyal to brands before I can say what I’m loyal to.

First and foremost, brand loyalty is deserved. In other words, the brand has earned the right to be treated as trustworthy. There are other considerations, like buying local, and that extends from my city to my state to my country, whenever possible. But I’m not loyal if they’re not first trustworthy, or if they fail to keep that trust.

So within those parameters, sticking with something that works for me is very much my thing. For me, it goes beyond brand name loyalty, but since that’s the topic here, I’ll limit myself to that.

My loyalty to brands pertaining to guitar/gear, or some of them, anyway, are probably well known here on TDPRI.

I am loyal to Logan Custom Guitars. Eleven years ago come July, I discovered Bob Logan’s guitars. He was selling a guitar on eBay that someone had ordered but didn’t buy, and in his description, he talked about making custom guitars, saying, “What do you want? I customize.” As I read his 100% positive feedback, it got my attention that his customers were often repeat customers, as in buying 2, 3, or even 4 and 5 guitars from Bob. That gave me confidence enough to contact him for initial consultation, and I found that talking with him was easy and informative. I committed to ordering a tele according to my specs, and when it arrived, it exceeded all expectations. Now, more than a decade later, I too am one of those guys that owns multiple Logans. I have six Logan Custom guitars, and I’m planning and saving up for a seventh. My son and my son-in-law each have a Logan Custom “Logo” thinline, and I’ve been to Bob’s shop and played multiple guitars there. His prices are reasonable, but it’s the consistency of product that has earned my loyalty.

D’Addario strings. I used them for years before a long-time friend opened a local guitar shop in the 1990s, and carried DRs, not D’Addarios. So I switched brands because I was supportive of my friend’s business. When he closed his shop in the year 2000, I went back to buying D’Addarios, and I’ve used them ever since, for acoustic and electric. In the decades that I’ve used D’Addario strings, I can think of only one time where I got a set with a defective string. The strings sound great, their selection of gauges is great, and their prices are reasonable. No doubt there are other good strings out there, but I’ll stick with the proven brand.

As for amps, I’m loyal to Vox and Peavey for electric, and Fishman for acoustic. I started to go into detail about these brands, but my comment to this thread is getting long, so I’ll just cut it short and say I have liked the sound and the consistency of what I’ve played with these three brands, and they’ve earned my loyalty.

19. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

+1 on the Lone Star Beer. Tried it this past summer and haven't looked back.

20. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

D'addario strings, Lone star beer, Anything Ford made pre 70's. Funnyns and pepsi too?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.