Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well it sure enough makes sense to my brother in law, he says a Telecaster is a Telecaster. From the responses I've gotten on this thread I'd have to say that old man is right again. I reckon a Tele by any other name is still a Tele.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    AAT65 and william tele like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    As a Comanche, ASAT, Strat AND Tele owner, I can understand why you might have been disappointed with the Comanche - it's it's own thing, and with it's pickups and PTB system, really never gets close to being a Strat except in shape.

It sounds amazing sounding like a Comanche - Unique and versatile, with tons of usable sounds in it.

But it's not a Strat, lol

Fiesta Red and Toto'sDad like this.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    See, I didn't say it very well, but that's what is confusing about G&L guitars. For all intents and purposes, I'll bet if you showed a pic of a Strat to someone, and a Comanche to the same person, they would just think the Comanche was a really cool Strat with lots of options. That's what I thought on a busy night just before Christmas when the place was a madhouse. I thought it would just be a super guitar and bought it. When I realized it was nothing like what I thought it was, it went back pronto. Maybe if I'd given it a chance, it might have worked out. You can imagine since the Comanche looked liked a Strat, but was nothing like a Strat, how I might ask the question is a G&L T style guitar a Tele. But I think I just give up! :lol::lol::lol:

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    No, it's not.

tery likes this.

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    Minnesota
    Nice sounding PV Special 130 amp in that video.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Is this a Les Paul?...

[​IMG]

Yeah, the waters are pretty muddy with questions like this.

8. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    No this is a Les Paul
    1323_v9_ba.jpg

tery, Catawompus and soulgeezer like this.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee

10. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I may be looking at this a little too literally or simplistically but, to me at least, a guitar can only be a Telecaster if it legitimately carries that branding.

Not all Telecasters sound the same, of course, so I'm not sure how relevant the argument is that they need to "sound like a Telecaster". I haven't heard one but I suspect that any guitar made from the same / similar materials and components as a Telecaster will probably sound similar but I'd define these as Telecaster "style" guitars insofar as they look and sound like a Telecaster.

11. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    There is so much customization available with G&L as opposed to Fender. My ASAT has a 12" radius and an ebony board. So many options available with just the neck shape and style. You can get an ASAT to sound like a Tele, but you can't get a Tele to sound like an ASAT, if that makes any sense.

These are the large MFD pickups which sound a bit different from the smaller ones, but you can get a sense of the range of sounds available.

Toto'sDad likes this.

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I dunno. It is proof that aliens walk amoungst us.

2 Headed Goat and soulgeezer like this.

14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    Is this a "Telecaster" or just a "Tele"?
    <makes "mind blown" gesture> 0256600306v2_hi-ce0dd407b3077f835a6ead5ee05db7a2.jpg

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    You also have to watch out for stuff like this if you pick up a "date" in Thailand... Except you'll probably get something you can never return...

Toto'sDad, soulgeezer and tery like this.

16. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    This is the guitar I was trying to get a few months back off of Amazon. I already own a tele, so I wanted a "t style" in butterscotch. Saw this and almost the whole vola line on amazon. So I purchased the vasti. Got an email the next day saying that the guitar had to be shipped from south Korea, I agreed. The next day they tell me because of customs or whatever b.s. they could not import the guitar. They gave me a refund so I purchased the asat classic on Amazon. I checked back the next day and the whole line of vola was gone from Amazon. Bummer but blessing in disguise. In hindsight the vasti shape is so drastic you either love it or hate it. Out of the talman, vasti, av52 choices I ended up with the asat.

Toto'sDad likes this.

17. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    I was a longtime acoustic guy, looking to get into electric, so maybe that made me more open to other makes besides Fender. I did want the single coils after a brief stint with humbuckers, and the Tele is well represented in the musical styles I am into. So many factors go into the equation of falling for a particular guitar, and for me it was a USA G&L ASAT Alnico. It is a sweet axe. I’m sure I’d like any number of other guitars, too. I just haven’t had a chance to make their acquaintance.
    So sure only Fender gets to use a capital T, but telecaster does describe well a general category. It brings a certain style of instrument and tones to mind.

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    The problem with your thinking is that the Comanche pickups are NOT classic strat pickups.They are DRASTICALLY different.

So the Comanche was not designed to be a strat,GL makes MANY classic sounding strats with alnico low output pups that sound like, you guessed right,strats.

Same thing with teles.

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now why in the world would a guy think this thing was a close relative to a Strat? AND, I am going back to the initial reason for my question along with other concerns about the G&L T Style guitar. If the Comanche ain't a Strat can you at least have some inkling of why I asked if the G&L T Style was really a Tele? I've already surrender though, so it's all moot now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiesta Red likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.