Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Nubs and Toto'sDad like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    suave eddie likes this.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    He wasnt trying to make another Strat...he was trying to make a Comanche.

But Leo was "done" with the Telecaster after he designed the Stratocaster; likewise, he was done with the Strat after he designed the Jazzmaster...he didn't understand why anybody still wanted or bought those "inferior" products when there was a "better" instrument.

That's probably because he was a designer/tinkerer/engineer instead of a musician...he didn't understand the symbiotic relationship between the player and the instrument in that manner.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

group name alert: The Symbionts

Toto'sDad and Fiesta Red like this.

5. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Asat Pull String Twins 7-7-11.JPG I haven't owned a 'Fender' Telecaster since I bought my first ASAT in 1989. I play the Special (on the right) 90% of the time just because I like the sound of the pick-ups and the neck. I wouldn't part with it. I had Dave Evans put his Pull String B-Bender in each of these.

No, they are not Telecasters but when someone asks me, for the sake of simplicity, I usually say "I play a Tele".

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    maggieo and Toto'sDad like this.

7. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    No, a Telecaster is a Telecaster and an ASAT is an ASAT.

tery and Toto'sDad like this.

8. BigDaddyLH

Depends who's asking. If they don't seem to know much about guitars I may say Telecaster. If they're a guitar player, by all means bore them with every last spec and detail!

9. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    It's like how all copiers are "Xerox machines," vacuums are "Hoovers," and facial tissue is "Kleenex."

william tele likes this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree. For all intents and purposes, a tele looking guitar is a tele. For all intensive purposes, explain every tiny detailed difference...right down to the zinc content of the neck plate.

More important than the question of: Is a G&L really a telecaster? is the question: Does it matter?

11. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Close enough for me. My ASAT is from '93. It currently sports Vintage Vibe P90 pickups after the MFDs and Rio Grande Muy Grandes. Wonderful guitars.

12. BigDaddyLH

Imagine if some asked you, "can you pass me a Kleenex box?", you did and then they objected, "Hey, these aren't Kleenex brand facial tissues!" Then you know what guitar nerds sound like to normal people.

william tele likes this.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Matters to me. The reason? I have never really been satisfied with any Fender Telecaster including (2) AVRI 52 Teles. A number of American Standards, and some MIM and Chinese Teles as well. I have an AV 72 Tele Custom I've had for five years, but it doesn't really suit me. Gibson Les Paul guitars in the higher end models are much nicer guitars, but I don't like them as well as I do the Tele style guitar because of the difference in scale. I know that some will scoff at this, but hey, I'm the guy who has to play the guitar, and more importantly pay for it.

From what I've read, the American made G&L might fill the bill. Slightly flatter radius, at 7.5, pleked fret boards, and better bridge. There really is no good answer to the intonation problems with ALL Fender style Telecasters. That is not open to discussion with me, because I've tried every imaginable configuration of bridge and saddles. The 1/4 steel 3 saddles that came with the guitar get about as close as those which are intonated. The six saddle bridge will intonate better but removes something from the tone. I also, while detest might be too strong a word, really dislike the cookie cutter stock bridges on the three saddle Tele.

Upon reflection, as I write this post, I really wish I hadn't started this thread at all, because I learned the hard way on golf equipment that what others think about a wedge or driver or anything in between doesn't amount to a hill of beans, it's whether or not it performs for me that is the deciding factor. Just writing this out, has convinced me, that I just need to try a few G&L guitars before shelling out money for one. The truth is, I'm just not as interested in playing as I once was, and am trying to jump start my interest. Playing some G&L guitars will most likely require a trip to Los Angeles, but I've made the trek before just to play something.

A good friend and relative of mine has made available some recording studio time to me and has encouraged me to put some stuff down on some tracks before I get to the end of the line. When I started seriously trying to practice singing and playing again. (the project would be simple acoustic guitar and singing) I found out just how deteriorated my skills have become. Like George Burns, "I wish I was eighteen again."

14. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Everything you wrote makes sense so why not find one of these instead:
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/CS-Les-Paul-Long-Scale.aspx

you can also get a 12 inch radius on G&L guitars
    http://glguitars.com/guitar-options/

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Toto'sDad likes this.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Well you did buy a Comanche! I think those are for a certain type of player. My S500 & Legacy were my main guitars for 15 years worth of gigs, between the 2 guitars I could get almost any sound the music called for. The Legacy is by far the most Strat, the S500 is something else with the MFD p'ups and the super switch. I bought a ASAT Blues Boy in 08 that has the Alnico bridge and the Seth Lover Hum in the neck and it does the stones thing pretty convincingly. The ASATs that are set up like Tele's and have the Alnico p'ups sounds as good as any Am Fender Tele I've heard. IMHO as a 25 year G&L owner

Catawompus and asatfan like this.

16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Yes, try more G&Ls! I went through a whole store of them when I went to buy my back up which is the Legacy, it was beat to all hell but when I plugged it in and played it, all the good music sounded sweet and well it became my main guitar.
    Same thing happened with the Blues Boy, I was invited to a G&L Player only night at the shop I had bought my previous guitars. Everybody there played this blues boy and commented on how sweet it sounded, the only draw back was neck dive. After I played it I wouldn't let it go until it had a sold ticket on it.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think the question stated in the subject line of this thread occurs in different context than the post itself. I've never played a Commanche so I can't draw any comparisons but I've played a couple a G&L T styles and they were as different from each other as any two different Fender models with "Telecaster" on the headstock.

My opinion that a tele is a tele has more to do with a generalization than the intricate differences that each individual guitar displays. Does that make any sense?

Toto'sDad and tery like this.

18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I suggest calling the G&L factory and ask their customer service if it is a Telecaster ?

Pickcity likes this.

19. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Right. I don't think G&L wants their guitar to be a Telecaster. They want it to be the ASAT. They have a Telecaster style body, obviously, but they are different guitars.

Call it what you will. Makes no difference. I like both.

tery likes this.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    So, if I have tissues made by Proctor and Gamble, are they Kleenex?

No, they are Puffs (as a proper name). To be Kleenex, they have to be from Kimberly Clark. However, they Puffs and Kleenex and all brands assorted and sundry may be kleenex (small "k" for the common noun style).

If I use a Konica-Minolta, do I use the Xerox? No, but again, I may xerox something on the Konica-Minolta.

If I have a Telecaster, I have something from one of the Fender brands (e.g. Fender, Squier). If I have a G&L it is an ASAT. But I think all are telecasters in the generic sense (single cut, 25.5" scale, etc).

But that is just my reasoning....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.