Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Well, here we go again.

Don't you all see what's happening here? TD is trying to make us all turn against each other. Before long we'll all throw away our cargo shorts, unbumch our shrits, and go out and buy Crate amps.

Are we really prepared to sink so low just to entertain this guy?

maggieo likes this.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I think it is a worthy valid question to discuss on this forum and it appears that others are discussing it.

Personally, I would have a difficult time justifying a second tele, and since I love my MIM FSR BSB, I would have a difficult time not having a Fender tele.

My other thought is that if you buy a G&L, then you are buying a G&L, and if you bought a G&L, then it is because you hopefully like it better than a Fender because of tone, feel and playability. Plus, if you have both, it is probably because of the differences in tone output for your personal desired tonal spectrum. IOW, they are different.

With that said, I conclude that a G&L is not a tele.

3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I would say it's a it's a Telecaster but not a Telecaster(R). To me, the iconic designs such as the Tele, Strat, LP & 335 have transcended their manufacturer's brands and it has become almost as silly to ask if a given T-type is a Telecaster as it would be to ask if a Telecaster is a really an electric guitar just because it wasn't the first one ever produced...

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North

G&L is also now making an ASAT Classic with ALNICO pickups.

badger51, Asmith and Toto'sDad like this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now that's probably more to my liking! Thanks I'll run that down, thanks!

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

For maybe 4 years now, yup. It is worth checking out, and everyone's impression will be different, but they still "feel" like G + Ls and my approach to playing them is different and so the net result is also different.

Toto'sDad likes this.

7. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Well to begin with, it's George not Greg. I have no idea who Greg is nor why it popped into my head.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Some days I don't think that even a Telecaster is really a Telecaster.

Last edited: May 13, 2018

9. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    boris bubbanov likes this.

10. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Having put my grubby mitts on an older ASAT classic,

Hell YES, it's a Telecaster.

TeleTown and AAT65 like this.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    aerhed likes this.

12. boris bubbanov

Yeah, Mr. George Fullerton was a straight shooting guy, with a real foundation, and when he remembers something a certain way, I'm very inclined to listen carefully to what he says.

I'm sure St. Leo got to be too much sometimes. But, I think in the end Mr. Fender had great respect for George Fullerton.

After all, the name of the product was called "G + L" guitars. A lot of people only discovered Mr. Fullerton because they had to know "who G was". :^)

tery likes this.

13. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    Considering all the different varieties of guitars that Fender has slapped a "Telecaster" onto, I've decided that if it says "Fender Telecaster" on it, we have no choice but to call 'em that.

For any other slab, t-style bodied guitar, that doesn't suck, I reckon "Tele" or "____ Tele" works. And if the guitar is really good, I just call it what its maker calls it, because it deserves respect; like, "my Hahn Model C," or "my Kelly Snakehead."

william tele likes this.

14. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now

Agreed, and while no disrespect to Mr. Fullerton, keep in mind we're just getting his (personal) perspective. Others who knew Leo, obviously are going to have theirs...

An aside... This gentleman doesn't get nearly enough credit for all his hard work, innovation, dedication, and loyalty to Leo throughout the years...

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/dale-hyatt

Lastly, The REAL G&L Factory tour vid from back in the day....

boris bubbanov likes this.

15. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    That's sacrilege when it comes to a g&l...all kidding aside it's good to have the option. I'm not surprised that g&l is always a controversial subject but I'm surprised no one has mentioned their hate for the headstock most notably the "tit". I actually like the headstock and wasn't aware of the dislike of the the tit. If the headstock doesn't bother you go for it. It may not say telecaster but the g&l is built on fender ave in the original factory...just keep that in mind.
    Edit: I should add that I bought my asat blind off of Amazon(I had a refund on another guitar) but if your thinking about getting one check out https://www.upfrontguitars.com/G-and-L-Guitars-and-Basses/ they give you the weight and exact pics of the guitar

suave eddie likes this.

16. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2016
    Vancouver, BC
    To an earlier post...a comanche is not G&L’s version of a strat...not even close. They make a fantastic strat-style guitar today (the Legacy). The Comanche is it’s own - very interesting - thing.

Asmith likes this.

17. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    First of all if a company makes a Strat copy or a Tele copy it is a Telecaster or Stratocaster. Why? it looks and sounds just like them. So yes G&L makes Strat copy's and names them something else.

Schecter and other company's as well. It has been done for years. I'm not picking my Yamaha Pacifica up and telling my self it not a Strat because it is. HHS guitar. Get a fender and it sounds just like it. The name or shape has nothing to do with tone.

Someone on Facebook showed this Steve Kline guitar Tele style. But because it looked more like a Breadwinner he was told it's not a Tele and the post is coming down.

Why?. Shape and name do not effect tone. Now if you a purest so that is OK. But to say the shape, location of the factory, the country of origin and name brand effects tone no.:confused:

But if you like G&L go for it.

[​IMG]

18. boris bubbanov

I think the only G + L that's actually, fully in the Fender category is the discontinued "George Fullerton Signature" model G + L guitar. Those are usually really nice. I had a chance to buy one of those that had been owned and used by Bernard Allison, almost did it.

Yeah, the original Comanches had a wholly different body shape and everything. The "S" shape only captured the S-500 and Comanche once the McLaren's started writing the paychecks, I think.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Given the same nut, fingerboard and bridge saddles all Strats and Teles weather they be Fender, G&L or whatever are exactly the same stuff with the pickups making one a thing and the other another thing. Everything else is just a side show.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    This was my first thought, a comparing a Comanche to a Strat is like comparing a Jazzmaster to a Jaguar (other than the brand differences of course). The S-500 is the take on the classic Strat design and I regret not getting a legacy one instead a MIM Strat at the time, I loved the MFDs.

I'd argue that a warmoth t style partscaster is no more a tele than an ASAT (especially if you get an alnico model), its not exactly a copy either, Leo did design both of them and quite a few changes (unique to G&L) have been made with the exception of the alnico models.

I still don't think either are telecasters though but both are telecaster style guitars. But then a fender telecaster is also a telecaster style guitar if you think about it and that's the important thing for feel and tone regarding all t types.

P.S. I also have a squier telecaster special which says squier jazzmaster on the headstock so technically it doesn't have to say telecaster on the headstock for it to be a telecaster (but I'm sure this is just a unique exception to the rule.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.