Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Since I didn't properly convey my question, I can see where you would say that. You see, your Telecaster made from Warmouth parts is aimed at having a Tele with the P90 sound. My question would be do the P90s approximate the sound of the normal single coil Telecasters enough that a casual listener would be unable to distinguish a familiar Tune normally played on a Telecaster from your guitar, or for that matter the aforementioned G&L T style guitar.

Perhaps a better question would have been is the Telecaster a unique enough sound that it is not often conveyed properly on T style guitars including the G&L even though the G&L was designed by Mr. Fender.

2. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    The G&L T-Style and Fender Telecaster have the same creator (Leo) and are liken to fraternal twins; who can be male or female, and look like each other, or even have different blood types.

3. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I must congratulate you on bringing ameliorate to the fore on the forum. A tasty word whose everyday use is not commonplace, but seems to roll off the tongue with great alacrity nonetheless.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    drf64, hemingway and telemnemonics like this.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    That's the kind of info I was really looking for. From the tone of some of the posts, it would seem that my post was taken as argumentative in come way, when it actually was just a straightforward question. I'm going to have to find a USA G&L and try it for myself to see if I like it or not. Which is of course what I should have done, instead of asking the question here. I did not care for the Comanche, and said so. To be fair, it was only one guitar, I've never played another Comanche. I can see though where some would misinterpret the meaning of my question.

5. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Again a good reply to the question I asked, thank you.

Tele-beeb likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    That may be even more to the point of what I was asking, though I replied to this post not in the proper order. From listening only to YouTube videos, I surmised that while the G&L looks kind of like a Tele, it sounds like a guitar of its own voice. Since it has a different bridge (or at least the ones I would be interested in do) different pickups, and an overall different approach to what the guitar hopes to allow one to achieve, I thought it might very well be a guitar unto itself.

Tele-beeb likes this.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?
    Does it really matter? I've read through the thread and opinions abound. Myself, I wouldn't buy it unless I liked it. If I liked it enough to buy it, it would matter little to me if it were a Telecaster, G&L, or Suhr, or whatever. I'd probably call it by what the decal on the headstock says it is unless it's obviously something else. If I had questions about it and asked the forum for help, I'd identify it as precisely as possible to get a more accurate reply. If the consensus on he forum is that derivative designs are referred to as Telecasters, I'm good with that. Back to my first sentence, does it really matter?

8. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    You could ask that about anything though. What matters?

9. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I’ve had a G&L ASAT since 1991. At one time I had the paperwork that came with it and I never saw it called a “special” anywhere, though it has the big MFD pickups. It’s also one of the ones with Leo’s signature on it.

A couple months ago I bought my first FENDER Telecaster, though it was made in Mexico and has not two, but three pickups, which are ‘noiseless’ to boot.

Other than the headstock and the pickups, if I were blind I would not be able to tell them apart physically.
    They do not sound alike.
    Of course, all you have to do is swap out pickups in any guitar and it sounds like a different guitar.

What were we talking about again?
    Oh yeah, beautiful guitars!

4B4FD7E2-D17E-4309-B29D-6C5B0E5103E6.jpeg

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Troll...

;) :D :D :D

Toto'sDad likes this.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I likewise countenance your deft deployment of alacrity.

Toto'sDad likes this.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Not only that, but there are Squiers and Fenders with regular humbuckers, Jim Root model for example.

13. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Here’s my thoughts on G&L T-types.
    There are basically 3 main types of ASAT:
    1) the original ASAT, briefly the Broadcaster, now called the ASAT Special - this has the Saddle Lock bridge (very good, reportedly) and two oversize MFD pickups, kinda most similar to Jazzmaster pickups is what I hear.
    2) the ASAT Classic, which has a telecaster-style bridge (but with 6 saddles) and ‘normal-sized’ pickups, though I don’t think the neck pickup ever has a cover
    3) carved-top pickguard-less twin-humbucker models such as the ASAT Deluxe.

All have 3-way switch and master volume and tone.

So of those, #2 is visually very like a traditional Fender Telecaster and except for pickup technology is arguable a Tele clone. I would say the others are not really trying to “be” a Telecaster, they are just using the body shape and basical control layout, and have their own thing going on.

Interestingly they never have the complicated variations that Fender plays — no 4-control Deluxe-type controls, for instance. And even when they ring the changes within these main ranges - neck humbucker, semi hollow bodies - they keep the same scratchplate shape, unlike Fenders.

They are hard to find in the UK so sadly I’ve never played one — but they are high on the list of “T-type guitars” I would consider buying.

Toto'sDad likes this.

14. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Leo lived to tinker...

If you’re a Strat traditionalist, you could play another ten Comanches and your opinion probably wouldn’t change.

Leo was after something different with that design.

A Legacy might change your mind, though. The best strat (notice I didn’t capitalize it) I ever played, was a Fullerton. And the best tele I ever played was an ASAT Classic.

Depending on how they’re optioned out, some Classics and Legacys are much closer to the spirit of the original Telecaster and Stratocaster than some of the weird stuff that FMIC is currently churning out under Leo’s last name.

po-boy and Toto'sDad like this.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I've only played an asat with z pickups. Not a tele. Not for me. None of the mfd pickups can do real fender sounds.
    But, I've played a late 80s legacy classic, and it was the best strat I've ever played, and one of the best electric guitars I've ever played, and the only strat I ever thought I could use as a primary guitar.

po-boy and Toto'sDad like this.

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    On my "t-type" only the neck position is P90. The bridge is tele. I think that in almost all cases, a listener cannot distinguish specific guitars on a full recorded album in a blind test. The only place that guitars sound really distinct from each other is in bedroom playing. There are certainly exceptions though! For my tele the combination of the warm P90, neck position, and the overall "woody" semi-hollow sound of that guitar takes you pretty far from tele territory. But in the bridge position, of course it just sounds like a tele.

Guitars sound mostly like the player who plays them and the amplifier and effects used. Think about it: The first Zep albums, The first Police albums, most of Keith Richards' work, and all those old country players all used teles. No real commonalities that you could point to.
    So the idea that you could distinguish a G&L ASAT Classic from a Fender brand telecaster by sound is just - no, you can't. I have been meaning to post up some listening tests to see if folks can even tell the difference between a P90 in bridge position and a tele bridge position. Once you introduce bass and drums and take your eyes and preconceptions out of the equation, this whole idea that you need 17 guitars to "cover your bases" just dissolves.

srolfeca and Toto'sDad like this.

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Well I don't know Greg, but I've heard of George William. I also know C. Gordon the astronaut on the STS-3 & STS-51 Space Shuttle flights. I'm also familiar with the city, though I've never been there. I also familiar with UC Fullerton & their 2004 College World Series Championship (I even have the jersey). There's also the budget import s-style guitars.

How do I know all these Fullerton Facts? I wear the same name! I've tried to get a G&L with my namesake, but was unsuccessful. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try to get a Fullerton, just to hang on the wall with the family name.

:p

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Why should Greg Fullerton get props? What did he do?

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Well ... if you don't know if it is a Telecaster ... it might not be a Telecaster ?

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Well first you have to define what you mean by unique sound. There are so many Fender Telecaster models with their own varieties of sound that it would seem difficult to identify a sound that is unique among Telecasters. When people say things like, "That sounds more like a Telecaster than a real Telecaster," which Telecaster are they comparing it to? Does a 1974 Telecaster Deluxe have that unique Telecaster sound?

I suppose these comparisons could all be referencing the very first Telecaster models, when there was no variety. Today, though, I think perhaps we should consider Telecaster to be more of a line of guitars than a distinct model, similar to Ford Mustang. Is a Mustang with a 6-cylinder engine a "real" Mustang? Is a Fender Deluxe Nashville Tele a real Telecaster? The answer to both is "yes."

If you're asking whether or not a G&L is a real 1952 Telecaster, then the answer is no. But then, a 2018 American Elite Telecaster is not a 1952 Telecaster either.

Tony474, soulgeezer and AAT65 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.