Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is the G&L T style guitar really a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Just what I said right there. I've owned a pretty expensive G&L Comanche, and it really wasn't a Strat, not to me anyway, it went back at break neck speed. In fact I owned it for less time than any other guitar I ever owned. Came home, plugged it in, played it thirty minutes, knew instantly it wasn't for me, beat it back to Guitar Center before closing time so I could get my loot back, before they used it to buy more Fenders.

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I suppose it's a tele if it sounds like one.

Wildcard_35 and Toto'sDad like this.

3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.

Really now? I love the Comanche. :(

Yes the G&L is a Telecaster style and sounds like one too. :twisted:

TeleTown and Toto'sDad like this.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I’m kinda of weird. To me, only a Fender product is a true Telecaster. Anything else is a copy.
    Much like only DuPont refrigerant is “Freon” , the rest is “refrigerant”
    Just my worthless .02.

5. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Thanks, I'm sure that the Comanche suits you, and I've seen and heard one played in a local band that seems fine. It just wasn't for me. I expect a certain sound from the Strat, and that wasn't it for me. It was not necessarily bad, just enough different that it wasn't for me. No offense intended.

JL_LI likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now Cut that out! I thought you were the guy that bagged on guitars, what's with this I suppose stuff?! :lol::lol::lol:

boredguy6060 likes this.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Kind of, of the same opinion.

Ex-riverman likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You can play "telecaster music" on a G + L ASAT Classic pretty easy; gets harder as you go to a Custom Classic or Bluesboy, gets even tougher on an ASAT Special or HH variation of an ASAT.

I've got 2 USA ASAT Classics, stock MFD pickups and I went back to the brass 6 hammer saddle bridge because the G + L version is made better and the wider neck is more compatible with such a bridge. Let me stack it this way: I can be playing a MIM Tele and forget it isn't a USA Tele and I can be playing a USA Tele and mistake it for one of my MIM Teles, but I never ever get confused as to whether I am playing a Fender or a G + L.

Those who have "Tribute" guitars, or import reproductions of G + L guitars, may get confused. These are more of a "generic import T style with G + L pickups sometimes" than they are a G + L.

Catawompus and 8barlouie like this.

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    If you’re looking for an exact tonal clone of a Tele, look elsewhere. Having said that, they are awesome and sound very much like a Tele, only with a little more attitude.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

See, I don't buy into this. I cannot tell if you put a piece of aluminum foil in my hands, what brand it is and I cannot tell what kind of refrigerant is in my AC system. But I can easily tell a G + L from a Tribute, and I can tell a G + L from any other kind of T style. What I can't tell you without looking is whether the (USA) G + L has a Bi-Cut neck or not, a 3 bolt neck or a 4 bolt neck, or precisely what era it is from. I could guess, but.........

Toto'sDad and Jimmy Owen like this.

11. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    I have a G&L Asat Classic with the MFD pickups and someone I know told me it sounded more like a tele than his USA Fender Tele.

Zeonoid, Tony474 and jimilee like this.

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    The ASAT Classic is a good tool for country picking. But they cost more than Telecasters. It is said that G&L guitars do not hold their value well, but I personally have not found any smoking deals on used ASAT Classics in great condition.

Wildcard_35 and NWinther like this.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Can someone tell me what makes this sound from my own teles

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    G&Ls are more 'Fender' than later Fenders in my book.

That's where Leo went to perfect his original designs towards the end of his career.

There are those who would disagree, and I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Whatever your opinion, they're a tool to aid musical creativity - and help fend off unwanted stage invaders.

loudnfuzzy, irie, jimilee and 3 others like this.

15. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Well Leo tried calling it a broadcaster again before giving up and naming it for a missle system. So maybe it's closer to the broadcaster than the tele. It is what is though, just another of Leo's finest.

jimilee and Evil Funk like this.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Yeah, but my opinion has been ameliorated by a delicious libation of Brewdog Dead Pony Club.

A couple more and I might even like paisley . . .

NOT

Tezuka27, Toto'sDad and Anode100 like this.

17. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Maybe see how many it takes - it's the weekend.

For *science*!

18. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    No - Only "Fender"

Dennyf likes this.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Ugh - don't bring that up. I passed up a black on black G & L Broadcaster for less than $200 in the mid-90's. Signed in the neck pocket ? Of course it was...:(

BTW - people do know what the L in G & L stands for right ?

Guess what isn't a Telecaster ? One of those cheese-y Am Std Tele's w/ the Strat saddles.

Oyyy...:rolleyes:

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    No, it's not a Telecaster.

It's a Telecaster-style guitar.

Is every single-cut, twin-humbucker-equipped, 3x3 headstock-wielding guitar a Les Paul?
    No, it might be a PRS or an ESP or a Greco or a Dean.(...and a district judge agrees with me).

T-style, S-style, LP-style, SG-style, V-style, Explorer-style...all are copies of an original design. Not to say they're bad (some of the copies have improvements in features or design), but don't call it the same thing.

As far as "sounds more like a Tele than some Teles," that may be true, but it probably has more to do with the player than the instrument.

One other thing--I've owned several G&L's, played a bunch of them, and loved more than a few...they're great axes...but they're a different machine, a different breed, a different animal than their Creator's preceeding designs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.