Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Is the Excelsior too loud for small gig?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BigWillyInd, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I've been thinking for a while that I ought to have an amp that is smaller (i.e. less loud) than my DRRI. I've always wanted an Excelsior but I'm concerned about the 15 inch speaker not being any more quiet than my Deluxe on 3 or 4.
    What do you think TDPRI?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The Excelsior doesn't jump up in volume the same way a DRRI does. The Excelsior really eases into it nicely. Also, the stock speaker in the non Pro version is not very efficient, so volume is very manageable.

If you are running your deluxe on 3 or 4, it's still pretty clean, right? That being the case, the Excelsior can do a nice, warm clean at lower volumes...

I just picked up a used Excelsior. This is the second time I've owned one. I regretted selling the last one, but did it as a favor to a friend. This one's not going anywhere any time soon. But, I haven't gigged it yet. I have played it next to my Tweed Deluxe (which does the same quick volume ump thing as a DR). It is similar in volume at pushed levels, but breaks up more. It is easier to play at lower volumes, however. I will say, I work my guitar's volume a lot. With my Strat and Gretsch, I was running the guitar volumes pretty low and was still super happy with my tone.

3. BlueCollarBoy

BlueCollarBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2016
    Eminence, Ky
    Tube amps are more about breakup than volume. Not gonna be much difference in volume, it's just gonna distort at lower volume. I like smaller amps becasue you can really get the tubes hot at lower volumes. Use my guitar volume to clean up

JustABluesGuy and BigWillyInd like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BigWillyInd

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I like my clean Deluxe sound, but being able to get the break up without being too loud would be great.

6. BigWillyInd

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    That's probably what I should've said in my post.

7. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    As stated above beware of the pro model/Eminence 1518 if you are trying to keep the volume tame. That speaker is about 105 DB rated which is perfect for testing the security of surrounding drywall! Kidding aside it's a good sounding speaker but it's as loud as my 35 watt 68 CVR with two tens. I prefer playing it through an external cab with a medium efficiency 12", a smooth cone of you want something closer to the tone of a 15".

RoscoeElegante likes this.

8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    +1

9. BigWillyInd

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Yeah, I wasn't too interested in the Pro model, and now I know why. I guess it wasn't just the bad paint job. :p

10. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    A bit late to this thread, but I did extensive work on my original brown Excelsior, including the Bill M mod which made the volume change smoother and helped the cleans, swapped the speaker for a Blue Marvel, etc. I finally re-cabbed it in pine and used a Legend 10" speaker. This lightened it up quite a bit and got rid of the muffled tone that I, at least, attributed to the original woodwork. Some others here have done the same thing and gigged with them.

The Legend is efficient but pushes a lot less air than a 15". I put the 15" in another pine box and I can run the Exxy through it if I want. I can now do the small club thing at a reasonable volume, light weight and with a box that - unlike a PR or a DR - no one wants to steal.

I only wish I could figure out a simple way to strengthen the tremolo. Anything else I need I can get through a Fly Rig.

IMG_0130.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I use my Deluxe at tiny gigs, low volume etc

the volume is on usually between 1 and 2.

I use some kinda boost to hit the amp a little harder. that probably makes it sound louder than 1 or 2, but, it overall has a "better" sound, at a lower volume, than the same amp without a boost, at low volumes.

Have you tried this? Its working out OK for me.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Get a Super Champ X2 or XD. Perfect for small gigs and practicing at home.

13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    If you find it too loud just plug into one of the two other inputs which have less volume

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Love the Excelsior even more with the Jensen P15R. Good thing is, like all Tweedy cathode bias amps clean is not pristine clean at most volumes. And the big speaker 'clong' seems to cut and carry a long way. Great with my modded 69RI Tele.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.