Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it true that, Strat : Les Paul :: Telecaster : SG?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 15, 2018.

1. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    I only know of one that neck dives and that ain't either of the 2 Fender models so No on the assumption. :)

radiocaster likes this.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The SG was introduced as a 'Fender Fighter' -- lighter and thinner body and neck than the LP more suited to teen players starting out at the time --as well as their parents footing the bills.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

3. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    You do realize they raised the prices on the standard and the custom when they introduced the SG versions.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    No the non reverse firdbird was to be the answer to the strat.
    But the necks were thin and delicate.
    There is no answer to the tele.
    The first SG , 61? was the answer to the Paul, because it was called a Paul.
    So basically, just...NO.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You could justify any equivalence you want, but it didn't really go down in any one to one way, the SG was a response to LP's poor sales, the strat had been out for 6 years by that time. Each company was doing its own thing to find market share. The Paul was indeed developed as a response to the tele, that much is true.

Piggy Stu and Ricky D. like this.

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Well, I don't know about all the Strat/LP/Tele/SG nonsense, but I do know that...

[​IMG]

Minimalist518 and LocoTex like this.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    I think alot of people forget that the Strat was extremely disliked and disregarded by alot of players at inception and a while after...

Then a few artists adopted it and helped make it popular like Hank Marvin.

The SG (I just acquired another one) I think was done out of dire need to remain relevant in the market at that time?

But who knows? I love them all and play them all so the only winners are us the players!

Thank God for Leo Fender and Lester Paul/Ted McCarty!

Piggy Stu and Jimmy Owen like this.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Where does the ES-335 fit in this equation?

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Tele:LP::Strat:SG:thinline (fail):335. However, to balance out the failures, Jaguar:Wilshire (fail)

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    1963 Wiltshire: IMG_3018.JPG

Jimmy Owen likes this.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Evil mating of Gibson and Fender produce much ugly child.

upload_2018-5-15_17-41-25.jpeg

t guitar floyd, WetBandit and JL_LI like this.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    This is an interesting thread. Like many threads on TDPRI, it reflects a diversity of opinion. My opinion is different. I see LP as the odd man out. It's heavy. It's dark; some say warm. Even with the same humbuckers, an SG is lighter and brighter. I mark the change in country music from traditional to modern with the adoption of overdriven LP guitars. It's not that I don't like or appreciate LP guitars. They just seem to belong in a different phylogenetic order from the others. SG looks to me like like an evolution toward Tele and Strat, especially with P-90's like many SG's had back in the day.

Piggy Stu and Minimalist518 like this.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Which Les Paul?

If a strat had as many different body shapes called a "Stratocaster" as "Les Paul" has called a "Les Paul" it might have an identity crisis as well...

14. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc

If you look at this from this perspective then maybe;

Fender's big seller is the Strat, Gibsons big seller was the Les Paul, next in line Fender, Tele ... Gibby, SG
    other than that there is very little about this statement

15. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    That one is hard to say. It was Ted's favorite and it was successful from the beginning (though the 330 sold better) remaining in the catalog continuously since its premiere. As a guitar it's an original design only somewhat like Les's log. 335 : coronado or starfire

16. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Leo, the innovator, was building strength on strength. Gibson, the traditionalists were foundering in the wake of an attempt to keep up.
    My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that success for Gibson with both the LP and the SG came later whereas Fender found success in the short and the long term.

JL_LI likes this.

17. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    It may be (OK, it almost certainly is) my own personal prejudice, but the *proper* scale, elegant, perfection of the Jazzmaster is far superior to the short-scale, absurdly complicated almost desperate afterthought that is the Jaguar.
    It’s like the Jag is the smaller, overcompensating younger brother. Just my worthless opinion. That and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Good call.

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Hernia is to huevos............as hemmrhoids are to @$$ yo.

To me...........all of those guitars differ enough that they cannot be equated to each other. And if you think they are not so different than one another........may the flatulence of a thousand camels befall you.

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Again, I’m not saying the guitars are similar; I’m saying where they sit in their respective brands’ lines is.

Obsessed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.