Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it true that, Strat : Les Paul :: Telecaster : SG?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, May 15, 2018.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    So, what do you think?

(And, as a facetious corollary, who remembers their SATs?... ;) :D )

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    That's a tough question. I'll have to think on it awhile.

?????

brookdalebill likes this.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    If the statement is logical symbols to mean 'strat is to LP as tele is to SG', then no

5 way switch/trem system/double cutaway - doesn't fit. Nor indeed does the development chronology

strat54 and soulgeezer like this.

4. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Telecaster: Les Paul :: Stratocaster : SG

But the second part could be Stratocaster: Flying V or Explorer
    and you could add Jazzmaster : Firebird

Fiesta Red and Tommy Biggs like this.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Not in my world. They are al distinct models, unrelated other than the number of strings.
    Do a little research into the development of each model and you will see the errors in the original statement.

Evil Funk and Piggy Stu like this.

6. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    It might also be a matter of perspective...

Isn't the Strat considered the "top" of Fender's solidbody line, just as the Les Paul is considered the "top" of Gibsons solidbody line? And, the Telecaster considered the "second" guitar in the lineup, the same way the SG is the "second" guitar in Gibson's lineup? Then, aren't they comparable that way?

7. warrent

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The top of Fender's line is the Jaguar. Gibson the Les Paul Custom

8. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2017
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Like warrent said: Telecaster: Les Paul :: Stratocaster : SG

Telecaster and Les Paul were original models that were developed and refined as the Strat and SG, respectively.

However the analogy is so imperfect that you can put any one of the guitars into any slot and justify the answer based on the particular feature you are looking at.

9. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I thought Leo's original idea was that the Jazzmaster would be the top of the line?

Minimalist518 likes this.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Telecaster is to Les Paul as Stratocaster is to SG

My reasoning is that the Telecaster and Les Paul came first; the Strat and SG were later additions/replacements.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    One can lose it's head like a chicken when its neck is wrung. The other just looks like it has a chicken's head.

soulgeezer and AAT65 like this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    No, it is telecaster to the Les Paul as Stratecaster is to the SG. Chronologically from both companies and single cut to double cut. Works either way.

Edit: I change the vote to "no" realizing it is different than soulgeezer's original question.:oops:

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Minimalist518 and soulgeezer like this.

13. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Teles and Les Pauls were early solid body rivals aimed at roughly the same buyers (yes...that can be disputed and start another thread...).
    Strats were a sleek and modern upgrade and rumour has it that the SG was Gibson's response.

14. warrent

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    It was until the Jaguar came along.

soulgeezer and t guitar floyd like this.

15. warrent

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    I wouldn't dispute that at all. Just keep in mind the Les Paul was not a big seller for Gibson and the SG was a response to the poor sales of the bursts. Leo was just adding product to increase his line of guitars.

Minimalist518 and strat54 like this.

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I think the sg is def a reply to Fender - surrender saying 'we cannot get the money for a carved top lp so are going to come down to your level and sell planks', but that is as much a reply to a tele as anything. Strats had all the radius work and stuff, taking Fender up from the tele flat plank

17. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    I thought the LP Special and Junior were more plank -Tele style guitars, way before the SG.

strat54 and Piggy Stu like this.

18. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I was told there would be no math on this test.

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    make thunderbyrd head hurt

20. warrent

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    I get that currently there is the idea that a Les Paul has more craftsmanship in it than a tele. But Gibson already had the carving machines it didn't really cost them that much to implement the design of the Les Paul.
    What your missing is that the Les Paul was a sales dud. It peaked in 1953 and sales declined every year there after until they introduced the SG. (they sold 600 odd Les Paul standards in 60 and 1600 or so in 61) Ted introduced the flying v and the explorer in an attempt to capture the market that the strat had developed and we all know how well that went. The double cutaway was an attempt to get something the market wanted not to save money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.