Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it smarter to spend money on a strap for every guitar, or to just switch one between guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    It's a guitar strap. Yes, I know we're all pretty pigeon holed about what we like in guitars...but we're talking about a guitar strap. I don't think there's any "getting away with" or "pulling off" when it comes to a piece of cloth or leather that you hang a guitar off of...UNLESS you've stumbled across that line called "diva"....:)

2. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Perhaps ethical was the word to use.
    I'm asking would it be better to shell out alot of money for a strap for every guitar, or should I just buy one nice strap to fit them all.

3. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I buy a strap for each guitar I own, and it resides in the case with the mated guitar. I try and use a strap that compliments the instrument, either with colors or a theme. Example: I used to own a Mexican Fender Strat, in "Fiesta Red", and mated it with a black strap that had a "Red Chile Peppers" graphic. Got rid of the guitar, but still own the strap. In fact I have several straps that have no guitars at this time.

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    If you're talking about for a number of guitars used during a gig then most definitely one each. Nobody wants to watch somebody changing straps over on stage.

Also agree with the earlier post about thinner straps for Fenders and wider ones for Gibsons, especially a Les Paul.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I have a couple of nice padded leather straps with Schaller strap locks, which are shared between 5 electric guitars...it'd be nice to have one for each, but to he honest I don't play out enough to make it economically feasible to have a dedicated one for each instrument.

william tele likes this.

6. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I have more guitars than straps. I find the strap even helps sitting down to hold the guitar where i want it.

Uncle Bob likes this.

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3137.JPG

I think every guitar deserves its own strap. Can you imagine interchanging these straps when they match up so elegantly?

Lost_N_Austin

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    dlew919, w3stie, P Thought and 2 others like this.

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Strap for every guitar.

My thinline Tele needs a suede back to avoid neck dive. 335 needs a narrow connecting area at the heel area to avoid blocking the cutaway. Les Paul needs a wide padded strap for comfort. SG has a black and white stripe couch strap to match thematically.

I fairly carefully pick out a strap for each one based on ergonomic needs for that guitar and aesthetic match.

Walker and Williams over all have been by far the best bang for my buck.

9. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I'm really not sure that the ergonomics of the strap fitting the player and the guitar are all that important. I site this interesting video to support my conclusion. ;)

Lost_N_Austin

Uncle Bob, ROADMAN and RogerC like this.

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Strap for every guitar. 1) Ease of use, just pick up any guitar and play. 2) Justification for buying different cool straps.

Vespa_One, RogerC and rcole_sooner like this.

11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Ok, I'm gonna do a little something here. Thought this might be fun for this thread.

OP, if this isn't kosher in your thread, let me know, and I'll happily delete it.

If anyone wants one of my straps, just pm me. Besides the TDPRI discount, I'll even throw in free shipping to the contiguous 48.

BUT, you have to have posted in this thread and mention that in your PM.

adamgdog and william tele like this.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    There was a time when a well brokered guitar deal meant you got a strap thrown in.
    Remember that?
    Anyhow i mostly mostly GFS Earle Slick straps, cheap, simple, worn looking leather straps.
    Occasionaly a simple looking hemp woven strap when I can find one.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    you know, I have like 8 or 9 or 10 straps around here, and I can't remember ever buying a single one of them.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Probably you brokered them in with the deal.

thunderbyrd likes this.

15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Schaller strap locks for me, one strap for each kind of guitar ie. one strap for my two teles, one for the SG, one for the strat. I don't have enough duplicates to make a big difference but I think you see what I mean. Those strap buttons are so easy to unlock so it's not a big deal, strap locks get expensive in numbers too...

16. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since most of my playing is live, either in clubs or rehearsal, every guitar must have its own strap. I have Schaller strap locks on all of them.

17. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    This is what I do as well.

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 on this!

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Cool offer! This place rocks...

20. taltoz

taltoz TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2017
    North Florida
    I am still at the one good strap stage but will probably be adding more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.