Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it smarter to spend money on a strap for every guitar, or to just switch one between guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've never used a guitar strap. Play seated, only.

So... none for every guitar.

Thin69 and dlew919 like this.

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    My straps are hard to come by. Plain leather adjustable but the same width along the whole strap. Plain and boring. Perfect. A strap shouldn't be fancier than the guitar that it's on and my guitars are non flashy. Levi makes them or did at one time. Hard to find and expensive for what they are so I only have three. I have about 8 guitars but only bring 3 at the most to gigs so it works.

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Something I'm debating at the moment. My initial thoughts are that a couple of straps is enough for someone who is a learner / only plays at home but, as I have a few *ahem* guitars, I'd like to get them fitted with Schaller or Dunlop strap locks.

4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    $5 plain black 'leather' straps off ebay from China on every guitar. More or less identical - easy to set up exactly the same way. You should notice the guitar, never the strap.

Vespa_One likes this.

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Vespa_One and dlew919 like this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    It's smarter and more economical to have one strap.

I have a strap for each guitar complete with Schaller locks just because I see them as a pair (the guitar and strap) and I have fun looking for that "perfect" strap to pair with each guitar. It's like buying a new neck tie to go with a new sport coat. When you get dressed up you want to look good. Just one more opinion.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Disagree. Respectfully! I've seen Neil 7 times and if he ever came out without his old Doves and Peace Signs strap I'd cry. I hope he gets buried with that strap many years from now. Souldier (Chicago) makes a great copy; I have one. Straps can be iconic.

[​IMG]

JayFreddy, Flat6Driver and Jakedog like this.

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I have a strap for every guitar because I want to just grab it off the wall, tune up, and play. The less I have to mess with, the better.

The black Ernie Ball straps are, what, $10 each?

ROADMAN likes this.

9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

One strap for every guitar! imagine sharing one underwear with your brothers.

studio1087 likes this.

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Strap for every guitar, many straps secured by rubber washers. Less stress on the guitar and strap, vs. constantly putting on and taking off straps.
    MD

11. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    If you're Neil Young, you can get away with that strap. Anyone else ... no chance (respectfully). ;)

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I never cared for that pattern because one way or the other, the front or back pattern is going to be upside down.

I've got cheap black EB straps on each of my guitars with Grolsch washers. One of these days I might buy a nice Ace-style vintage strap, but probably not.

ROADMAN likes this.

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    For me, one strap to rule them all! With Dunlop strap locks on the strap. When I buy a guitar, I budget $10 for strap buttons

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I'm off to work in a minute, and no time to read a 93-post thread, but in response to the title question: what the heck does smart have to do with straps?

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I have a strap for every guitar. It stays in the case with the guitar. If a hardcase, I take it off, if a gig bag, I leave it on.

I bought on for my Martin but it wasn't clicking (neckdive) so I moved it to my new Les Paul and it rolled up niced inside the case. I was worried about creating a rift in the universe, but it turned out OK. I need one for my blue Strat, but will borrow the one from my Sunburst Strat since I don't play Blue as much.

They all (except the acoustics) get a set of schaller strap locks installed. Punch out the leather with a 10mm punch and it fits much better.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I have more straps than guitars.

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    to me, one strap for every guitar, always on, so they are instantly ready to go.

I have more straps than guitars... but thats just me.

18. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    I have a primary strap and a bunch of backups, mostly Fenders. The guitar I'm playing gets the primary (One of RogC's Dog Tired ones) and the spare guitar on its stand gets whichever backup strap comes to hand. Both get secured with beer bottle washers.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    And if elected, I promise a strap for every guitar! No guitar should have to go through life without a strap of it's own!

Note: Not intended to be a political post. :D

stnmtthw likes this.

20. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Well, "I was schooled with a strap right across my back." Does that count?

I play seated most of the time, but when I do use a strap, it's the one my daughter gave me. I have a number of the Fender case candy straps, which I've never used, as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.