Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it smarter to spend money on a strap for every guitar, or to just switch one between guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I have one for each, in theory. At least. I have a lot of guitar straps around here somewhere. My principal guitars all have straps on them.

2. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Each guitar has strap locks installed so that my ONE FAVORITE GUITAR STRAP can be used on every guitar i feel like playing.

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    I'd go broke buying straps for all my guitars. I hate skinny, slippery, cheap straps, so I have a small collection of nice straps that I use on whatever guitars I'll be playing. All have the same straplock system, so easily interchangeable.

Jostrat likes this.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've got a sparkle gold strap that I bought in anticipation of using on a goldtop. But it doesn't look right on it, see it lying to the left of these 0817170728a.jpg

Maybe it'd look better on the faux gold billy bo
    090813174_zps49c93324.jpg
    But probably not, the sparkle just doesn't match up, the strap is more bassboat and the guitars are both more subtle than that

gobi_grey and telemnemonics like this.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I have over 40 guitars and maybe 6 straps. To be honest, I usually get to play sitting down, so I haven't used a strap for a while now.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Just like almost everybody has said: a strap for every guitar. They all have rubber washers, straplocks, etc., so that the straps don't come off accidentally. I generally choose straps that go well with the vibe of the guitar.

brookdalebill likes this.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    A strap for each. Not about to keep adjusting one strap for all my guitars.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I'm a one-strap, one-guitar type of guy - as in each guitar, or mandolin, or banjo, or bass, gets its own strap. Stops those embarrassing moments of 'oh, crap... forgot my strap!'

Tony474 likes this.

9. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I can't have the strap holes getting stretched out from constant switching so each guitar gets its own strap.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    A strap for every guitar and a guitar for every strap!

(Fortunately I have no extra straps, or I'd have to buy guitars to go with them!)

brookdalebill likes this.

11. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    One 'main' strap AND a spare for every guitar?

william tele and RogerC like this.

12. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    each guitar gets a strap and a hardshell case

dlew919 likes this.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Yup. I was a Schaller strap lock guy for years.

One day I was standing there with a minty USA Strat and the pin on the upper horn just let go. I wasn't trying to do a silly stunt. It wasn't the wood. It wasn't the screw. It was the Schaller mechanism itself. The actual pin inside the shaft failed.

When I leaned over without my hands under the neck, the guitar came crashing down, headstock first into the stage. It made a large ding in the headstock. If it had been a Gibson, I'm sure the headstock would have snapped.

I have since removed all the Schaller strap locks from over 20 guitars. Regular Fender strap buttons work for me, but the standard Gibson buttons are a little too small for comfort. I remove them and replace them with Fender size buttons, and then use the brewers washers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I found one of my guitars sitting in a corner pouting because it didn't have a strap like it's siblings, so I went out and got it one so it felt included in the herd.

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    A RESPONSIBLE adult always asks himself: "before I buy this guitar, do I have the resources to put a strap on it?"

Flat6Driver and william tele like this.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I somehow always end up with WAY more straps than guitars. Because guitars come and go, but just the guitars. All the extras stay.

So about every five or six years, I end up giving tons away, or selling a big box of them on CL for cheap. Right now I have between 30 and 40. And only two guitars that I gig on a regular basis, and about a dozen total. Almost time for another purge.

Really, I use whatever one I feel like. I have one padded leather one that I like for heavy guitars. I have several custom made with my name or initials on them for touring or big gigs. And I have a couple that I use on acoustics and nowhere else.

The rest could disappear.

17. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Where do you find one of them (a responsible adult)? We're guitarists dammit. :lol:

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yes, this is an uphill battle...

19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    As Beyoncé said ‘if you want it then you better put a strap on it’

HoodieMcFoodie and Jupiter like this.

20. McCtelecaster

McCtelecaster TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Solina, Ontario
    An individual strap for each guitar. Each guitar has its own personality, and so it should dress accordingly.

.............Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.