Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it smarter to spend money on a strap for every guitar, or to just switch one between guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by adamgdog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I have one for every third guitar.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Every single one of my guitars has its own strap that stays attached, and I also keep a spare or two in an accessory bag just in case of emergencies or if someone else forgets his. Better to have something and not need it than the other way around. I'm not fussed about fancy leather fripperies; all instruments but one have either the Ernie Ball polypropylene webbing strap or a Neotech one. Some guitars have Dunlop strap locks (including the single instrument with a two-inch plain black leather strap), others the big-flange strap buttons I favour and three have those little plastic disc locks, which work fine.

ROADMAN likes this.

3. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I have two nice straps with the locking bits. All my regulars guitars have matching buttons so either strap will fit them all.....I have a few cheap ones on my occasional use guitars that I can use.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

One strap for each regularly played guitar. Some guitars are infrequently used so I swap a common strap.

Take an end pin to the hardware store and find rubber washers that fit so you can put the strap on then the washer to lock it on.

You can be creative with guitar straps. Tandy store for a leather strap blank you can punch holes in the ends. Find someone with a sewing machine to make a cloth one. Seat Belts out of a scrap car. Roll of 2inch webbing off ebay. Rope (paracord). The waist bands cut from two trashed jeans and safety pins to lash them together to length and across the button holes to lock the end pins in place. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+guitar+strap

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Multiple straps. If you buy too many then the only solution is to buy more guitars to put them on.

6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    Each guitar gets it's own strap because they're all unique. When I sell a guitar the strap goes away too. Would you share underwear or a toothbrush with other people? No! Unless you're a drummer!

All my guitars have their own strap from Bob at Brookwood Leather. He does quality work that will last longer than we will.

http://brookwoodleather.com/

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    I'm too am of the opinion if each of my guitars has its own character/tone ... Then each deserves its own strap. :)

8. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2014
    Mt. Rainier
    I have one strap I like very much with strap locks...and I buy the compatible strap lock posts and mount on every guitar..makes switching a breeze. Very cost effective that way.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Planet Waves locking straps. They can be moved from one guitar to another in 5 seconds, using existing strap pins. Buy one and use it with all of your guitars. The only ones that may not work are those with weird body contours, like hollow bodies.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwPlanetLockStraps.Page

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    One for each. Each strap is selected for, and lives with, it's own guitar. Wherever the guitar goes, the strap goes with it without having to think about it. At my age, not having to think too much is handy. ;)

stratoman1, djh22 and Tony474 like this.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Easy solution: Get a bunch of Fender tweed straps. They look fine and you can pick them up relatively inexpensively on Ebay. I think I paid about $10 for each.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I have about 15 guitars. I've found one strap that has exactly the tone I prefer...so I use it. I've got one other strap that I use on my bass that doesn't really affect the tone.

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I'e been tempted to try these. Some of my cases are so snug a normal strap lock may not fit. I think it was planet waves I tried but the ends were so big and bulky I was afraid they'd mess up my finish

https://lockitstraps.com

lockitstraps.com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Tony474 likes this.

14. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Each guitar has its own strap. Ernie Ball rainbow strap on the SG, Police Line-Do Not Cross on the Tele, wide extra-padded strap on the P-Bass. Takes less time between songs when I have to switch.

15. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Dammit. I have 2 guitars and 3 straps. I know what I have to do now, even though I don't like the 3rd strap. No matter, new guitar for 3rd strap then new strap then...oh dear, I see a problem with that. Ugh

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Generally my strap collection is divided into two flavors: Fender style and Gibson style.

The Gibson style straps tend to be wider and made from suede, better to keep neck heavy SG's from nose diving, and for the boat anchor Les Pauls.

My Fender guitars tend to get thinner straps. Fender guitars tend to be better balanced and are often lighter, but not always. I like the classic 50's Fender "spaghetti strap" on a Strat, but more often than not, I just use whatever is closer.

If I see a strap I like and I have the money, I'll buy it. Most of the time when I buy a strap I'll have a specific guitar in mind, but not always. Even when I do buy a strap for a specific guitar, it's rare that it will stay married to that guitar for more than a few string changes.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm sort of in between, I was a one-strap to rule them all and straplocks guy, but now I've got a nice little cotton strap and a big sheepskin lined leather one to use, too. 2/1 guitar / strap ratio right now.

18. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Seems like a good idea. Something to consider for future purchases, but I'm well sorted out for now.

19. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Sure, and I have a belt for every pair of pants I own, too. Who doesn't? :rolleyes:

JayFreddy likes this.

20. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    My brother is a one strap guy, he has one he likes and thats it. As for me, everybody has their own strap, it's part of the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.