Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Is It Possible To Scam The CL Scammers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I'm thinking of the scam where they want to sent an agent with some form of money order or cashiers check. Can I have them meet me at the bank, cash the check before exchange, and be free and clear?

Could I then start listing cheap guitars as expensive guitars, and sell to the first scammer with a check?

2. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2008
    Atlanta
    I'm not sure stooping to their level would benefit anyone.....

3. superbadj

superbadj Friend of Leo's

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Not really. Those guys know more about how to work the system than you or I do, so avoiding them is the safest bet.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Remember those people who went to Nigeria to confront the scammers? They were never seen again . The CL scammers are criminals , they might be multitasking , meaning that other than the CL scam they may also be into leg breaking

6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    If you do then you would be one of them.

7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
  8. I just read a novel about that!

[​IMG]

9. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah I have it, on my list to read , but that thing made the news a while ago, people disappearing

10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    Generally, the check or the money order is fraudulent, so you cash it, get the cash, then two days later the bank realizes they cashed a bad check on your account, and you're on the hook anyway. So, no, bad idea.

From another perspective, if you scam the scammers, does that make you any different than they are? Being a d-bag to a d-bag still makes one a d-bag.

11. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    To be fair though, I think that has more to do with the safety of travelling to Nigeria and purposely seeking out criminals than it does with craigslist

I wonder if people were this paranoid when phone books started coming out

12. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2003
    CT
    If you want to engage someone like that, remember - you don't know where they live. They will know where you live.

13. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.