Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Is it legal to be buried on your own property?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Sep 9, 2011.

1. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Not sick or anything, but I'm thinking about changing my will so it declares my body to be buried on my own property...in a home-made wooden casket that I am thinking of building. Nothing fancy, just maybe cut from some nice poplar. I don't even want a funeral. Somebodies gonna have to dig the hole and dump me in the casket though...poor sucker.:lol:

Is this legal?

2. TucsonTele

TucsonTele Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2010
    in the moment
    I don't believe so, but our local restrictions may be different than yours.

However, you may be legally buried in debt on your property in any state.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I think environmental concerns have pretty much taken away the legality of this kind of thing

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Could ashes be a different matter -- in that case how could they stop you?

But if you are building a casket, are you allowing room for your favourite guitar?

Aside: I remember reading about a Chinese village (or region) where, when you are born, they plant a tree that will provide the wood for your casket. So you get to watch it grow!

6. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2009
    Charlotte, NC

What're they gonna do to you if it is, dig you up and put you in jail? :snicker:

I say go for it.

;)

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I want a big viking funeral, with a flaming raft and everything

8. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

This ^ blows my mind.

9. Many farms/ranches had family cemeteries in the old days. One has to think that maybe the property would sold in future.

The OP idea has crossed my mind, but I'm already engraved on the family grave marker, so that's where I'm going ... in ashes. Just an end date to be engraved for the stone.

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The last guy that I know of that buried someone in his backyard is now in jail... so I'd say its probably illegal.

:D

11. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2011
    Decatur, AL
    It depends on your local regulations. I want to say many places have laws where the body has to be chemically treated if not cremated.

12. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    I'm sure they'll find someone who's living to make responsible for it, though. Not something that I would want to have to straighten out. Check local laws.

13. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    It varies by location.

I'm on my church's trustee board/cemetery committee and had an eye-opening conversation about this recently.

Turns out homemade coffins aren't legal in my state, thanks to legislation pushed through with help from lobbyists from the funeral home industry.

We're currently in the process of determining how cremation urns should be interred and how many should be allowed per plot...one of those things you never think much about until you become directly involved in one way or another.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If you're a really oily type of guy, I guess you'd have to have mineral rights to the land.

15. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    You would have to check with city, county, and state that you live in to see if that's possible.

16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    Lee Hays from The Weavers

I want it done the way Lee Hays who sang Bass in The Weavers had it done.
    Lee had his ashes thrown into his compost pile.
    Classic.
    Then that sign "I'm in The Garden" would really make some sense. :cool:

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    It may be against the Law to be buried while still alive, but I don't know how they would prosecute you.

18. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Hunter Thompson had his ashes scattered via fireworks explosions. Not sure if it was one blast or several that contained his ashes, but a great way to go out, IMO.

[​IMG]

19. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2010
    Wick, Scotland
    It's only legal if you do it yourself.

20. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Colorado
    No one would ever know if you didn't have a headstone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.