Is it just my area or are larger amps just not selling?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by grolan1, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I own two tube amps. My DIY 18 Watter 1x12 combo is my main amp. I have a Weber Mini MASS hidden in the back and I don’t think I’ve ever gigged with the MASS over 50%.

The other amp is a MuchXS Champ head, through a cab with an efficient Emi 12”. Last time I gigged, our singer used it and the keyboard players asked us to move it to the opposite side of the stage because it was too loud.

Still, I’d love to have an old Super Reverb. It’s just a classic amp with a great clean tone. The prices are still too high for a “nice to have”, though. Maybe after all the kids are out of college...

P.S. Grolan1, your particular specimen is gorgeous. Good thing don’t live in driving distance to Iowa.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    grolan1 likes this.
  2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

It's hard to sell anything around here. Seems like the only music gear you see on craigslist in these parts are pointy guitars, seven string guitars and huge drum sets. I had a lot of trouble selling a tweed blues jr in perfect condition. Should have been an easy sale. Took almost a year and practically had to give it away.

3. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I got one of the very first Ibanez 7 Strings in '90, a swirled Universe, and I was absolutely over the moon with it :) I busted it out in a gig about a month later, and I remember we were playing a Rush song, "Afterimage" from their Grace Under Pressure album. The solo is all double stops and chords, and I looked down at the fretboard in the middle of the solo and got completely lost LOL. That "middle string" completely threw me to the point I had no idea where I was or what I was doing. Funny now, super embarrassing then :) I loved that guitar though, but it got stolen from our band space in '92. But super high gain amps and 7 strings definitely go together these days.

bftfender likes this.
  4. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I'm going to preface my reply here with the admission that I haven't read all of the previous pages of replies... But my experience with big amps has been the same--people don't want them as much any more it seems. The funny thing about it all to me, though, is that tons of players are looking for small amps that sound like the big amps. Obviously, people are just not interested in lugging big amps around any more. And they're just not willing to do it. So they try to find the small amp that does the best job of sounding big, which obviously comes with compromises... But if you ask me, the only way to get a big amp sound is to use a big amp. And that's all she wrote.

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

6SL7 is the same as 7591. There are loads of them out there. I have a pair of the EH ones in my 1963 (I think) Guild Thunderbird amp. They work fine, sound good, and are right cheap.

6. soulgeezer

And,...

One dude has trouble has trouble selling one (really expensive vintage) amp and we all decide that the entire market for "big" amps (ahem,... Big? A Super Reverb is a 4x10 -- really NOT big, y'know?) is dead-dead-dead and nobody wants anything that they can't fit in the pocket on the front of their gig bag?

Geez -- Generalize much?

Oh, well -- It IS TDPRI after all, isn't it?... ;) :D :p

Boomhauer and Telecastoff1 like this.
  7. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    You think the price is a really expensive price or are you being funny (it's cheaper than a new one which aren't even close to being the same)

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I don't think the average buyer is a gigger now. I've bought five amps this year (six?). It's been hard to resist buying because of the illusion that they'll be easy to get rid of at the price, but the market is deep with all of them.

There are a lot of 4x10 amps around, the peavey classic 50 included. I managed to get an older pre-loop version of one this year (US made, of course) for $299 from a music store.

If you have an amp that is really super cherry, then I think the onus is on you to explain why it's super cherry. Since the market is deep, most people will do what I do, which is look for something and sort by price. I don't search just my CL, because people on CL will often ship if they've been holding an item locally.

I also notice that the ask on CL here is all over the place, but when something pops up for less than the average sale price on reverb or ebay - even less by a lot, I have yet to sit and think about it and then find it not there. There's a nice JCM900 100 watt head on my CL right now for $550. Unless someone makes a good youtube video about magically finding great clean and vintage dirt tones out of a JCM 900, it probably won't move fast.

I'd really hate to have a bunch of large very pricey boutique amps these days.

9. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Comments do not seemed based on one seller's experience, at all.
    A Super Reverb is a big amp for many.
    No one looking for gig bag amps.
    TDPRI folks seem pretty cool to me and collectively knowledgeable about the marketplace.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    You know those puppies go for 2500 euro's up here ? :D

Just saying .. here that kind of gear flips in periods of months . not weeks, there are still 6 out of 10 twins that i was considering when i bought mine almost 2 years ago on our instrument CL here ( prices are in line with the market here so no overpriced stuff).

I'm looking at twin tweeds here, 8 popped up, ad's are up since a couple of months + now. princetons and similar just come and go quicker.

11. soulgeezer

I don't know about you, but fifteen hundred bucks is a lot of dough where I come from. Not relatively speaking, just as a matter of fact.

$1,500 is a lot of money. And, a lot of people just prefer eating, having a roof over their heads, and driving a car; they don't have that much scratch to drop on a discretionary purchase like a guitar amplifier.

Just sayin'.

12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Ditto to the comment above. I think the OP's price with alnicos is better than anything I see on reverb (there are cheaper amps, they all have later speakers, and there are amps the same price - same deal, later speakers).

The seller is looking for the one or three buyers or whatever who are looking for a really clean original amp with original speakers. A gigger is probably not going to care what the speakers are, but someone putting together a room full of pampered amps will, too.

IME, I've gotten five tube amps this year. Every one of them has been described as perfect, and every one of them has a noise issue. I solved two and am waiting to diagnose the other two. if yours is truly dead quiet and has been serviced recently with anything replaced, I'd specify as many details as possible.

And state in your listing that your price is lower than anything else similar - just so the person reading the ad will know that - they won't have to guess.

I wouldn't be afraid to part it, though. If nobody is buying original everything, I'd bet you could get 60%+ of your ask for the speakers and half of your ask for the rest of the amp. Like others, I prefer to see things staying together, but it's your amp and not mine.

13. brogh

Admin Post
    Yup 1500 is quite some dough to me too, thing is that imho if you're looking for an amp like that you should do your homework and more or less know how much you're going to spend average, not everybody does.

who has to "eat" per say, wouldn't even consider looking into something like that, there are way more affordable pieces of gear that will allow you do the "job" ( if job it is ),
    it's a buyers market .. you really don't know how much it's gonna stay up for sale .. i had gear on sale for more than 5 months, priced fairly and in perfect condition... the only thing to do is to let it there and wait for the right guy...if you're in need for cash and need to sell it fast you're gong to take a loss there to get it flipped quickly ...

soulgeezer likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But they did. In the past. It wasn’t a gigantic period of time but it did happen. People didn’t flinch at the big numbers.

Stuff is cyclical. And some cycles grind to a halt - they don’t come back around.

That’s what we got here.

Anybody young with a good paying career who is into vintage guitars/amps is going to be swimming in big amps, old amps, onetime priceless amps - picking our estate sales clean ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Our surviving relatives won’t care - out they go !

‘58 4x10 Bassman ? “Well, it is ratty , I wonder if it even works ? I’m sure he’d be glad it went to someone who appreciated it. $250 seems more than fair - just give us $200 and enjoy it...”

Repeat x many many geezers per year...

brogh likes this.
  15. brogh

Admin Post
    I'm relatively young :p:D

download.jpeg

P Thought and Royal Tele like this.
  16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Got your point and to me $1500 is a chunk of money too (I got the amp in a multi trade deal)... look at what any major car repair cost... OUCH! Likely the amp, if I do sell it will go to someone later in life with disposable funds.

soulgeezer likes this.
  17. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Good points you've made - and yes recently serviced (2 years ago) and it's dead and I mean dead quiet! :D

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^ Save up and go get ‘em !

Better know your way around a soldering iron and the insides of those amps though.

All the amp techs are getting up there in age too.

Someone show me a 25 yr old guy that can recap and bias a Deluxe Reverb and I’ll produce a unicorn who can chicken pick like Don Rich and tap Eruption with his horn...

Matt G, Southpole and brogh like this.
  19. GuitLoop

GuitLoop TDPRI Member

Just sold my 73 super. Too loud for what I do these days.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bryan Parnell....Bryan Parnell...please pick up the black courtesy phone.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.