Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Is it an amp? A pedal? A modeler? Doesn't matter...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MrGibbly, May 19, 2017.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    About a month ago I started traveling for work again. It means I'm out of town, living in a hotel room, 4 days a week each week. This time around, it's close enough that I can drive. That means the Strat goes in the gig bag and then into the back of the Jeep. [Note: I take the Strat because I'm pretty sure they are indestructible...when the zombie apocalypse happens all that will survive is cockroaches, Peavey solid state amps form the 80's, Twinkies, and Strats.] My dilemma was, "how can I play the blues loud in a fancy hotel room without getting thrown out?" I decided to take a chance on a Vox Amplug G2 Blues version...

This is not like the Amplug I remember fiddling with years ago. It can do clean, crunch, and lead. It has variable gain. It has decent 'verb. On the other hand, the delay and chorus are pretty rotten and dialed up way too high for any real use in a "blues" context. I am running a bog standard Fender American Special Strat with Texas Special pickups into the Amplug and then listening through my ancient and well loved Grado SR-60 headphones.

It's got a tweedy vibe to it. The reverb is perfectly acceptable. The little thing takes up no space in the gig bag leaving plenty of room for a Snark, my wrist brace, and whatever book(s) I'm working from at the moment. It definitely beats practicing without an "amp" of some kind, and it's easier to haul than even my HD500X, power supply & cable.

Four stars...five, if the delay and chorus weren't completely putrid. Anybody else rockin' an Amplug?

2. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I took a much more basic Amplug on a trip to Norway with a weird little travel electric guitar and tiny Beats earbuds (nice and bass-y). I would have liked it better with a real guitar and Grados....

Last edited: May 20, 2017

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I use a Zoom G1XN for similar situations, with one bank of patches I set up for a Tele, and one bank for a Strat. It fits easily into some gigbag pockets.

When indestructibility is a concern, however, I go with a Tele.

mRtINY, opend and Georox like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Great solution! Alas, I spent too much on too large a multi effects unit, and I don't particularly want to drag a power supply and cable on the road with me. I love my Am Dlx Tele too much to put it at risk...even if it is technically superior to my Strat in every conceivable way. ;)

LutherBurger likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.