Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is anyone playing a Hartke ACR5 acoustic amp?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by haggardfan1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    I saw a thread on these from last year, but no one had any experience outside of a store test drive, and there were only a few posts.

The features look similar to a Fishman Loudbox Mini but for less. I really don't need an acoustic amp; but the one I have is an old Ibanez with some issues and I wouldn't mind finding a new candidate if I get more into acoustic work.

I've played through a Loudbox Mini and they are awesome. I just wondered if anyone could give some first-hand review of the Hartke ACR5.

I wanted an Acoustic AG30 when they were still available. Played through one at GC in Shreveport and loved it, then they went on sale and I still didn't buy one. Now you can't get them new anymore. Go me.

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    Wow, nobody?

Would you read some reviews and give me your opinions? :)

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Never heard of that one.
    I own and have regularly gigged a loudbox mini for the last 3 1/2 years with no complaints.

FWIW as of last Saturday GC Baton Rouge has a used loudbox mini for $199.
    Really good condition.
    Thought about picking it up as a spare, but why have a spare for something that doesn't break.

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    also FWIW, My Bass player has had issues with his Hartke combo bass amp.
    YMMV

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I've been playing an HA-3500 as my bass rig for 15 years now, and it's been a champ. I don't know anything about their acoustic amps though.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ok, hey I read this review:

http://americansongwriter.com/2017/07/191227/

...and it sounds like this little guy has a lot of features that would be helpful for a solo acoustic gig in a small venue. It has a line out feature so it could also be used as a monitor. Just wondering - with a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter, I'm not convinced that it would handle many outdoor venues - which is where you want some portability, but maybe it would. The reviewer said it handled a small venue just fine and that is believable.

It didn't seem to be making any of the "Top Ten" lists of the trade/marketing sites - not sure if that's a problem or not.

I'm seeing them listed new for $199, dropped from $249. I'd be inclined to compare to several used units on Reverb and see what different features you can get for the same bucks or less.

Most of the portable gigs I've done have been as a duo or trio and a PA was on hand. I did one Farmer's Market as a sideman for a singer/songwriter and used my SF Princeton for an acoustic guitar amp (worked fine) and sent my mic through his PA. There's a lot of gigs where you might be the only one to notice the difference between using an acoustic amp vs. whatever you're using for your electrics. I have some friends who have gotten into the high end acoustic amps, but seems like they only use them around the house...

just my 2 cents.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.