Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is Anyone Gigging A Katana 50?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by FenderGuy53, Feb 24, 2017.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    I'm wanting a solid-state combo amp for my home studio that can also serve as a grab & go amp for jam sessions and impromptu small gigs.

The Kicker: The amp needs to stand on its own merit , i.e., no mic'ing or line out to FOH.

The Question: Can the Katana 50 combo get the job done?

Thanks for input and insights, good peeps!

2. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX

3. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire

4. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    Apart from being 50 watts, will I miss the Presence knob, Line Out and Send/Return effects loop?

5. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    If you're using for home studio, I would definitely miss a line out, unless it has a USB interface and its own (really good, bug free, low latency) ASIO driver.

If it does not, I would want a line out (or better.. L and R balanced out) to go to my own audio interface for recording into a DAW.

If just for a grab and go small jams, doubt I would miss an effects loop or line out..if your not going into FOH.

If you ever want to use a looper (in an effects loop) you're kind of screwed.

6. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If you want to use time based effects after distortion, but don't want to use the built in effects, then you might miss the effects loop. But, in the studio, you can apply those effects in your production software after miking the amp. And live, I'd just use the built ins anyway.
    I always mike amps, studio or live, so I never use the line out.
    I got the 100 watt so I could use the effects loop for a looper pedal to jam along to, and because I like gobs of headroom and girth. The 4 channels and footswitch are nice too, but I could get along with 2 channels and a simple switch. I don't use much gain, so I'm fine running effects into the input. IOW, I'd be ok with the 50, except I would miss the loop for my looper.

7. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    When I say "home studio", I actually mean my home practice space, where I practice, experiment with ideas, play along with jam tracks, create jam tracks, jam wih buddies.

I don't do any recording at all.

So, that said, it sounds like I won't miss the effects loop and line out, right?

8. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    With the Katana, my plan is to use only the onboard effects.

I plan to use my DigiTech Trio+ as a rhythm machine, to loop chord progressions, so I can learn and practice lead work.

I don't think that I'd be storing anything, but I may miss the extra headroom...

9. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Hmmm.. I also have a Trio (not Trio+).. It is first thing in my pedal chain so it always gets a clean signal. But I run the Trio's output thru seperate powered speakers and not the amp (a Mustang 3v2).
    If you plan on using the Katana for the Trio+ output you may want an effects loop.
    I would think with the Trio+ (which has a built in looper) you would want it in an effects loop, so you can record the sound of the Katana's amp and cab sims into the looper.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

10. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The Katana 50 works fine for recording using it's own USB, after updating the software, once you use the Tone Studio to get at the settings and turn it up.

VB Tele likes this.

11. ucnick

ucnick TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Union City CA
    Yep. Been there done that. Works great for that. But I did upgrade the speaker.

12. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    Onboard effects and no mic or line out with a Katana 50? I wish you luck, you'll need it.

asnarski likes this.

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    It's all I use and it works just fine, no luck required. My '66 Princeton doesn't have effects loops or line outs either.

GrantR likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.