Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is anybody else in recovery or clean and sober?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Suicideking, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    If I make it til Father's Day, I'll be 18 years sober. It ain't been easy, but I'm still alive and kicking. It took me a while to get to where I could play in bars again.

My best to all who are recovering.

brbadg, pdcorlis and blkpwdr like this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I celebrated 19 years in recovery last night at my home group, and found out Chris Cornell killed himself this morning/ afternoon.

I've lost a lot of friends to various combinations of mental health and substance abuse problems, and truly believe none of us has to die of these problems, if we can just get the right help before taking more extreme measures.

I've also walked through the sometimes difficult recovery process with many friends who would likely be dead had they tried to make it on their own.
    I needed a lot of support in my first year or so, and found it in 12 step recovery.
    (Family helped too, but the best thing they did was eventually stop helping me, ie: enabling)

I know there are many here who survived and rose above addictions and mental health problems, some of us maybe struggle daily, others maybe no longer feel the old pain and/ or cravings.
    And we've lost some of our own here too.

I can say that life is beautiful without drugs and alcohol, hard sometimes but fun and full of reasons to celebrate without the need for a drink or a drug.

Thought it was a good day to check in, anybody else?

Last edited: May 18, 2017

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    God bless, and congrats on the 19 years - I'm coming up on 3, and things are looking good.

You're right that people need to get the help they need...

It's so frustrating, like the other day, when a "friend" posted on facebook one of those memes that Addiction isn't a disease, and people can just quit if they want to - Only the weak minded stay addicts...

I don't even know how to respond to how many documented physical and mental health conditions contribute to the causes of addiction...

If everyone just wanted to quit, there wouldn't be any addicts - they would just stop and be done.

It's som much more complicated and insidious than that, and I can see why people shy away from asking for help if they were afraid of being met with a reaction like that...

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Friend of Lois here.

5. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've been a friend of Leo, Bill W, and Jimmy K, but I can't say I know Lois?
    Good company?

uriah1 likes this.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It'll be 12 years in September for me, and life is indeed good. It's amazing how much your whole outlook on life can change with a good sense of perspective-no matter how rough things get at work or elsewhere, I just have to take a moment to remind myself that I've been through MUCH worse- and survived.

8. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Recovery is even possible in Seattle?
    Awesome!
    Crappy word: "awesome", but in this case it's right on.

Frodebro likes this.

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Jimmy K?

telemnemonics likes this.

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Best decision I ever made. It's a great life and a great way to live one day at a time. If I make it to August 21, I'll celebrate 25 years. My wife of 22 years and our "kids", now 21 and 19, have never known me as someone who drank as an alcoholic or did the other things that went along with it. That is a very, very good thing. I have been blessed beyond my dreams. I love all you guys!!!

By the way, Lois was Bill's wife and the co-founder of Al Anon.

Onward and upward!

brbadg, uriah1, william tele and 3 others like this.

11. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It's pretty easy to be an alkie or druggie in Seattle, I guess I'm just predisposed to not fitting in with the crowd. :D

william tele and telemnemonics like this.

12. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    See, now I couldn't have done this by myself!
    (Thanks @Chicago Matt !)

Jimmy K, well, anonymous and all but he was one of the founders of one of the 12 step programs AA helped form back in '53.
    There's a whole lotta them...

Funny how hard it can be to ask for help:
    I suggested my Mother go to alanon or naranon when i was struggling, and she asked "why would i do that?".
    I answered: "Your father, your husband and your son?".

She did like to go to my meetings and say how happy she was to have her son back, even put a bumper sticker on her Jeep.

Chicago Matt, uriah1 and Hexabuzz like this.

13. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    Reading through this thread has really helped me on the rougher days. After a lifetime of abuse I've made it through to the other side. The 12 steps never worked for me. I don't have a higher power. Straight edge hardcore at maximum volume really helps me. It always has even when I was belligerent. (Moronic, I know.) And knowing that others have been able to overcome this has been huge. Thanks.

14. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    This sounds like me. I didn't attend any meetings after the first six months, and the "higher power" thing was quite a struggle for me as I'm not really a religious person. However, my counselor in rehab had a very insightful approach to it- your own higher power can be anything at all that gives you the inner strength to persevere when thing get tough. Once you figure out what that is as it applies to you, you're on your way.

15. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    No doubt. I had a great counselor when I did a stint in rehab my senior year of high school. He told me "John, you're in a room full of sh*t and you're worried about dusting the knick knacks. Get a f**king shovel."
    Best advice ever. Only took 20+ years to sink in.

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +10000

17. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    This is funny as it reminds me of a friend who's coming up on a year, rocks a hawk and knuckle tats etc.
    He described running into some old friends and not telling them he was off drugs and alcohol, sort of feeling embarrassed to have changed his ways.
    The irony is that what he is doing takes more courage and hard work than just being punks on the street.
    Who do you turn to when your clean friends say you're weak to use and your using friends say you're weak to quit?

kuvash, Chicago Matt and Hexabuzz like this.

18. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    You find out who your real friends are real quick.

19. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You sure as hell do. Some of my closest "friends" from my drinking days are people that I haven't had any contact with since I quit. One even tried to convince me not to change my ways, that I "wasn't hurting anybody else." I discovered that the person I was hurting the most was ME. I wasn't living the life I truly wanted for myself, and I absolutely wasn't coming even close to achieving my full potential.

kuvash, brbadg, Chicago Matt and 2 others like this.

20. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Had a retired US general in our home group for a while. He insisted staying sober was simply a matter of will power - end of story. Sadly he could never string more than about three weeks together. Don't know where he is today but I hope he figured out it's a we program, not a me program...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.