Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Is anybody else in recovery or clean and sober?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Suicideking, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    I am about to celebrate one year of being clean and sober, and I was wondering if anybody else in this forum is in recovery. I thought having a thread that we could talk about it or help each other would be a good thing. A previous thread on my name is and I am a Teleholic gave me the idea that other people on here must be in the program as well because too many people knew a lot about it. If you are in recovery or just clean and sober let me know, or if you would like to be clean and sober and need help please feel free to post or PM me.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I no longer drink booze. I'm going on two years now, and I've never felt better.

3. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Nice Fezz congrats on 2 years not drinkin. I as well have never felt better either and like you said on your video I am as well kinda permanently buzzed, but in a good way...:lol: Now I just gotta stop smoking cigarettes, but that is not on the top of my priorities because that and coffee is all I got left..

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. I haven't kept any in the house for 4-5 years but will have a couple highballs or beers when the wife and i go out to eat and they have a bar but that's not very often. I don't really have the taste for alcohol anymore.

6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    I've been sober since June 27, 2010 after drinking for 43 years. Did the hospital detox and probably would have died if I hadn't. Feel better than ever, don't do the AA thing but I have a great support group, including my wonderful wfe, stay well!

7. fezz parka

Same thing, Coffee and Cigs. One of these days they'll go, but I ain't ready yet.:D

8. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Congrats all you need is a good support group thats all that meetings are about, sometimes I think they are more for people who's entire social structure was around drugs or drinking and have to fill that void at meetings. March 6th 2010 is my clean date, and the one year is coming soon and am excited. I am with you fezz am nowhere near ready to give up my coffee or my smokes...

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I can't drink alcohol right now because of my chemo drugs, but I've never been much of a drinker. I went to a lot of Al Anon meetings in the late '80's to deal with the residue of growing up with an alcoholic father and enabling mother.

I did a lot of drugs between the ages of 14 and 17 (mostly pot and psychedelics) but had some "revelations" around that time that made me realize that what I was really searching for was spiritual and universal. I dabbled in cocaine in the early '80's, but never chased it.

I have a Medical Marijuana license and found that eating green brownies helped the digestive problems I had last summer better then the drugs that were prescribed. I haven't done any since then.

I can't say in all honesty, that I never drink or do drugs, but I'm about 99% there. I know some folks when they get a taste of a formerly abused substance that they binge. I usually stop and think, "Why was it I used to like this?" I guess it all depends on how you're wired.

10. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Paul I think in your case medical marijuana is a blessing and is a lot better for you then a lot of the other medications they can prescribe. You also seem to have a good outlook on everything if you are sick and need to be well it is much different than using it just to get high. I hope everything is going well for you and all your treatments are a success....

11. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Yeah,but no one really knows what was in that bottle of blue STUFF. :eek:

12. hidesertmusic

hidesertmusic TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    God willing on March 3 I will celebrate 21 years of sobriety. I drank from when I was 16 until age 41. My drug of choice was alcohol and it took me places noone should go. I've gone through a lot during my sobriety but have never had a desire to take another drink. One day at a time and the serenity prayer helped me through a lot. Congrats on your AA birthday. I still remember my first and how amazed I was that a year had gone by.

tintag27 likes this.

13. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Thank you very much and congrats on your 21 years... WOW I am just 3 days after you I ordered my medallion and a chain to wear it around my neck as a good reminder to myself of how inportant it is. My addiction as well took me to places I never thought I would be and nobody else should go. My D.O.C was pills and alcohol and taking them out of my life is the best thing I have ever done...

14. fezz parka

It's blue, that's for sure.:lol:

15. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2010
    moon
    I have been drug and alcohol free since 1982 and can tell you it was ABSOLUTELY the best thing I ever did for myself. Congratulations to you and yours and everyone here. Keep up the good work......

16. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Thanks Dgr I appreciate it and am thankful of all the great comments I have gotten here. I think that there are probably a lot of us here who have gone thru similiar experiences and its good to be able to share them with each other as well as how staying clean has affected our lives in a positive way..

17. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2010
    Laurel, DE
    I quit the coke, dope, pills, acid and weed (with a few stumbles along the way) twenty years ago, and I hardly drink anymore, but the alcohol was never my problem. I still deal with the fallout of spending all those years getting blitzed daily, both the brain damage and the questions such as: "Why did I spend all those years getting f'd up"? ..........and meanwhile, the self-improvement continues......

18. voodoostation

voodoostation Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2007
    Midlothian, Va
    Keep it up guys, you're doing fine!

19. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

congrats

i'll have 21 years this coming April 28, and like you i remember thinking that there could not possibly be "life after alcohol". but one hour led to two hours and to twenty-four hours, to a week, months, and years...but it was all one day at a time. that first year is indeed a milestone.

to the original poster....sincere congradulations and hang it there; it really does get better..find a group, get a sponser...i am certain any of us here in recovery will be willing to share our "stories" with you, but perhaps private messages would be the best.

you are not in this alone.....

20. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2010
    everett wa
    Congrats on your year clean and sober,the program has saved many lives,and families.

21. Suicideking

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Oh yeah I have a group and a sponser and could not have made it this far without it, and anybody not comfortable to post anything a PM is always best. I just thought it would be nice to have a thread for all of us who are clean and sober to post milestones and just a place for us to talk. Thank you all so much for all the positive sentiments...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.